ADVERTISEMENT

It's going down

funds priority should go to football because football drives the bus, and has the highest return potential. Every other sport is a loss leader. The other sports got the APC on Livingston which cost $100M and the Rodkin Center which cost $65M. Now football needs a field house to keep pace with our peers.

just a slight correction: men's basketball is not a loss leader. When the Department of Education was compiling statistics, it was making a million dollars a year. There are actually schools (like Indiana in the Bobby Knight days) where basketball drove the bus. But I agree that an investment in football is most apt to have a good return on investment here.

OMG. Who gives a sh1t what the board wanted?! It was Pernetti's job to handle it properly.

He made a horrible decision on that, and he made a horrible decision in dealing with Rice and then admitting he messed it up. Pernetti wasn't run out of town...he dug his own grave. He publicly admitted that he mishandled a head coach abusing students. And you think he should have survived that?

There was a not a sizable group. It's one of the few things in the last decade that the entire board found agreement about - especially after it was known that Cristobal said no.

"It was so late. Where eles were the recruits going to go?"

Yeah, nobody would have taken in the six 4 and 5 star recruits in that class.

you are wrong and I clearly participate in alot of discussion here

just like there were people that were not happy about Ash, they were also told to shut up, there actually were more against Flood than against Ash

OMG. Who gives a sh1t what the board wanted?! It was Pernetti's job to handle it properly.

He made a horrible decision on that, and he made a horrible decision in dealing with Rice and then admitting he messed it up. Pernetti wasn't run out of town...he dug his own grave. He publicly admitted that he mishandled a head coach abusing students. And you think he should have survived that?

First, hiring Flood as a one-season stopgap was not a "horrible decision." It's not like Nick Saban had asked for an interview and he said no. There was nobody else because of how late in the game Schiano left (and because Schiano took everyone with him).

Second, there was nothing wrong with Rice's conduct concerning the players (the substance abuse was different). Anyone calling that "abuse" is absurd. If calling a player a "******" and throwing balls at their feet (as part of an awareness drill) is abuse, then you just accused 85% of the high school football and basketball coaches in New Jersey of abuse.

Third, Pernetti went to Barchi, asked him to view the video of the situation, provided him the tape, and asked for permission to fire Rice. Barchi said (paraphrase) "Do whatever you want, but you can't have any more money" - which in business-speak is "No, you can't fire him." Is it Pernetti's fault Barchi couldn't figure out how to work a VCR?

you are wrong and I clearly participate in alot of discussion here

just like there were people that were not happy about Ash, they were also told to shut up, there actually were more against Flood than against Ash

The only time there was a sizable portion of this Board against a Rutgers athletics personnel hire was when Hermann was hired. And that one is provable because I posted a poll on here about why she got hired and the vote was overwhelming that she was hired because she was a woman (I think it was 62%) ... I should know because I got banned over it (because JO and his merry bunch are losers). And if you'll remember, you carried on and screamed and yelled for a month defending Hermann and shouting people down like you were her father.

Reactions: cicero grimes
First, hiring Flood as a one-season stopgap was not a "horrible decision." It's not like Nick Saban had asked for an interview and he said no. There was nobody else because of how late in the game Schiano left (and because Schiano took everyone with him).

Second, there was nothing wrong with Rice's conduct concerning the players (the substance abuse was different). Anyone calling that "abuse" is absurd. If calling a player a "******" and throwing balls at their feet (as part of an awareness drill) is abuse, then you just accused 85% of the high school football and basketball coaches in New Jersey of abuse.

Third, Pernetti went to Barchi, asked him to view the video of the situation, provided him the tape, and asked for permission to fire Rice. Barchi said (paraphrase) "Do whatever you want, but you can't have any more money" - which in business-speak is "No, you can't fire him." Is it Pernetti's fault Barchi couldn't figure out how to work a VCR?

Except that Flood was named HC before Greg came back to take everyone. We also had choices but not with the $$$ we were offering.
Rice thing wasn’t as bad as they made it out to be but it wasn’t business as usual either and it was on film.
Tim was put in a horrible position. He was not allowed to just fire Rice, he did have to bring it to his higher ups...they are actually the ones that should have been fired.

Reactions: KnightInVA23
The only time there was a sizable portion of this Board against a Rutgers athletics personnel hire was when Hermann was hired. And that one is provable because I posted a poll on here about why she got hired and the vote was overwhelming that she was hired because she was a woman (I think it was 62%) ... I should know because I got banned over it (because JO and his merry bunch are losers). And if you'll remember, you carried on and screamed and yelled for a month defending Hermann and shouting people down like you were her father.

I defended Julie because we had the whole media against us and she was our AD, there was no sense to not support our hire who wasnt going anywhere....and it was the dumbass Pernetti supporters who were the biggest offenders...oooh they fired Tim waaaaaaaaaaaah

Except that Flood was named HC before Greg came back to take everyone. We also had choices but not with the $$$ we were offering.
Rice thing wasn’t as bad as they made it out to be but it wasn’t business as usual either and it was on film.
Tim was put in a horrible position. He was not allowed to just fire Rice, he did have to bring it to his higher ups...they are actually the ones that should have been fired.

It is true that Barchi threw Tim under the bus and Barchi should have actually stepped down.....BUT here is Tim's problem....if he knew the video was going to come out, he had to come up with a plan..either pay Murdock off and be done with it or make it plain and clear to Barchi what will happen, Tim failed to make any case to the BOG and he failed miserably in any kind of messaging before the video came out..he actually could have tried to proactively release it himself when he first suspended Rice

Pernetti was our worst AD by far, hired Rice and f'd the handling of video and firing and set bad things in motion when RU was set to enter the Big 10. Also hired Flood

had to be the worst fundraiser in the history of college sports
Let's be honest. The job isn't that difficult. You're basically running a government funded entertainment company. Any idiot could create a strawman account on all the Rutgers sites and figure out what to do.

The job is a slush fund job. Always has been.
Mulcahy takes over after Gruninger retired. The power brokers decide to give their Sports & Expo buddy a nice easy job to retire into. Then along came the whole Zoffinger spat. Corzine didn't give a F, so the Lesniak wing pushed for Pernetti. After the Pernetti issue, Barchi took the lead in the wake of that kid that jumped. Then Christie jumped in and gave us Hobbs.

So today, we've got the different factions in the legislature that argue over everything (weed, gas taxes, budgets) trying to blow this really mean coach into another crisis situation. And you know each one of those factions has a particular guy they think is perfect fit for the job and will emerge from nowhere.

You clearly have your own narrative that you are rolling with. I simply disagree with it. I think you are misstating multiple facts, and I think you are misinterpreting the import of the things we do know about what went down.

So today, we've got the different factions in the legislature that argue over everything (weed, gas taxes, budgets) trying to blow this really mean coach into another crisis situation. And you know each one of those factions has a particular guy they think is perfect fit for the job and will emerge from nowhere.

Oh crap.. I never even considered that a new AD hire would be the same BS as the last two. I just assumed they would be smarter about it this time. But your idea is just soooo "jersey" that it makes perfect sense.

Unreal - we really make it near impossible for anyone to succeed here.

I’m the ultimate optimist for RU football , but if crap like this keeps up, we won’t get it done.

The fans need to take the program away from the politicians. That’s our only chance

When Flood was hired, the rest of the staff already knew they were gone to Tampa Bay. The contracts may not have been signed yet, but if I knew it from being on this message board, Pernetti was aware of who was gone and who was available. Flood was literally the only one left.

I can't believe this. It's going down, and you guys are arguing about Pernetti. While it's going down.

Unreal.

Are the same a-holes who hired Hermann (and Hobbs) in charge of the decision to fire Hobbs and decide who gets hired next? If so, count me as apathetic.

It is true that Barchi threw Tim under the bus and Barchi should have actually stepped down.....BUT here is Tim's problem....if he knew the video was going to come out, he had to come up with a plan..either pay Murdock off and be done with it or make it plain and clear to Barchi what will happen, Tim failed to make any case to the BOG and he failed miserably in any kind of messaging before the video came out..he actually could have tried to proactively release it himself when he first suspended Rice

You arent wrong there but Tim wasn't the type to play that way.

I can't believe this. It's going down, and you guys are arguing about Pernetti. While it's going down.

Unreal.

Yep- ex ept that since we aren't hearing anything yet, we need to fill the time with something. lol

When Flood was hired, the rest of the staff already knew they were gone to Tampa Bay. The contracts may not have been signed yet, but if I knew it from being on this message board, Pernetti was aware of who was gone and who was available. Flood was literally the only one left.

Not really close to why they hired Flood but who cares at this point.

Yes IIRC, his first recommendation to Barchi on the situation was to fire Rice. Barchi denied request based on buyout.

Yes IIRC, his first recommendation to Barchi on the situation was to fire Rice. Barchi denied request based on buyout.

That has never been confirmed, anywhere. Either way though, my point is more from a PR perspective. He handled it. He knew of the situation, and made the decision to suspend Rice and have someone monitor practice. As soon as he admitted to the media that that response was not appropriate, and apologized for handling it improperly, he was toast. You cannot admit you botched something of that magnitude in a public position and survive it. Its a stand up thing to do - admit your failures - but not really wise if you intend on sticking around in the public spotlight.

It may be going down but sounds like it’s not a given. Let’s see who wins here. Should be interesting.

That's a false narrative. Tim could have fired Rice as easily as Hobbs fired Ash a few weeks ago. The only reason Tim didn't fire Rice is because he didn't want to fire Rice. (Just like the only reason that Hobbs didn't fire Ash last December is because Hobbs didn't want to fire Ash.)
Didn’t General Counsel Farmer tell him he couldn’t fire Rice?

one difference between the basketball Rice/abuse thing, and today's "abuse" of the softball team, is ...video

I believe none of the recent transgressions were videotaped.... If so, it just becomes a story in the newspaper, and probably Hobbs could survive, UNLESS someone is hell bent to get rid of him....but it is a lot harder than with Rice....hell, they even did a saturday night live skit about Rice, you will not see that about the softball issue.

video killed the radio star...... it also killed the Ray Rice pro career

It may be going down but sounds like it’s not a given. Let’s see who wins here. Should be interesting.

So it is either:

A) Schiano is hired over Hobbs’ objection, and Hobbs is out because he would rather quit / get fired than work with (for?) Schiano

B) Schiano is hired over Hobbs’ objection, and Hobbs bites the bullet and stays on (but is not happy)

C) Hobbs keeps his job and Schiano does not get the job

Is that close?

That's a false narrative. Tim could have fired Rice as easily as Hobbs fired Ash a few weeks ago. The only reason Tim didn't fire Rice is because he didn't want to fire Rice. (Just like the only reason that Hobbs didn't fire Ash last December is because Hobbs didn't want to fire Ash.)
This is 100% false. Pernetti took the evidence to RU legal council and was told it was not a fireable offense for cause. His recommendation to Barchi was to fire Rice but because they could not fire for cause they were on the hook for his contract so Barchi instructed TP to suspend rather than fire Rice. When everything came out in the media Barchi threw TP right under the bus. This is info I received first hand.

This is 100% false. Pernetti took the evidence to RU legal council and was told it was not a fireable offense for cause. His recommendation to Barchi was to fire Rice but because they could not fire for cause they were on the hook for his contract so Barchi instructed TP to suspend rather than fire Rice. When everything came out in the media Barchi threw TP right under the bus. This is info I received first hand.

SO then why did Pernetti issue a public apology, in which he admitted that he mishandled the situation?

He was "thrown under the bus" only after that.

Reactions: bac2therac
So it is either:

A) Schiano is hired over Hobbs’ objection, and Hobbs is out because he would rather quit / get fired than work with (for?) Schiano

B) Schiano is hired over Hobbs’ objection, and Hobbs bites the bullet and stays on (but is not happy)

C) Hobbs keeps his job and Schiano does not get the job

Is that close?

I supposed in the interested of completeness, there's an option D), which would be "Schiano doesn't get the job and Hobbs goes."

Although that seems like the absolute least likely scenario.

Nope. Not correct. While legal council told Pernetti that he could not fire Rice for cause, he always had the option of firing Rice without cause (just like Ash was fired a few weeks ago without cause). Pernetti never made the recommendation to fire Rice without cause, so he was never told that he could not fire Rice without cause. Pernetti made the recommendation to suspend Rice. That was entirely his decision.

Nope. Not correct. While legal council told Pernetti that he could not fire Rice for cause, he always had the option of firing Rice without cause (just like Ash was fired a few weeks ago without cause). Pernetti never made the recommendation to fire Rice without cause, so he was never told that he could not fire Rice without cause. Pernetti made the recommendation to suspend Rice. That was entirely his decision.

This is my recollection as well, because I remember saying at the time that Tim made the wrong decision and should have simply fired the guy.

The remainder of Rice's contract, in the event, would have doubtless gone to some kind of litigation or arbitration and both parties would have settled for something less than the full amount.

Regardless, the inaction / indecisiveness on Tim's part made him look weak.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT