ADVERTISEMENT

I’m placing Illinois on Upset Alert!!!

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
We gotta walk before we can run, and Saturday we took a significant step forward in realizing our potential.

- we held Indiana scoreless in the second half
- Artur played with confidence
- Artur completed his first of what will be many TD passes
- there were fewer missed tackles
- there were fewer penalties
- WRs flashed, especially Shameen Jones, who caught his first TD pass, and Bo Melton, who had a terrific run, in addition to a fourth down conversion, thx to stretching out past the marker. Eddie Lewis continued to be productive, and solidified his hold on the third WR slot
- Blackshear continued to be our best player from scrimmage
- team played with confidence, even when down big, and battled back, to make the margin respectable
- Pacheco threw what should have been a TD pass, but what instead setup a TD
- defense was especially good on 1st and second down; need to get better on third down.
- Bateky notched a sack
- Kevin Wilkins played his best game, and ended up with 11 tackles
- Justin Davidovicz booted a 52 yard field goal
- Tyreek Maddox- Williams forced a fumble
- Damon Hayes notched an interception on a terrific fourth down play which prevented a touchdown
- Offensive Line played its best game of the year
- Stadium was loud with few people and facilitated a fourth quarter comeback
- Artur Bashers now look like Fools

While it wasn’t a win, that was as good a result we could expect without winning. We showed we belonged on the field with a Big Ten adversary. We got the confidence to know that we can execute, especially in critical fourth down situations. The kids hard work is paying off, and this should motivate them in their preparation this week. If we have Blessaun Austin, we win that game because Indiana doesn’t make as many third down conversions, which killed us. We need to take our second half effort, extrapolate that over the remainder of the season, and improve upon it. Do that, and come November we could be the most dangerous team in America, with a chance to knockoff a few heavyweights, especially, Penn State. With Artur as our QB, we are capable of beating anyone. But for now, it should be one opponent at a time. My only focus is on our next opponent- Illinois.

Illinois comes to town sporting a 2-2 record. They’ve beaten Kent State and Western Illinois, while falling to South Florida and Penn State. They are led by a two headed tandem of running backs in Ike Epstein and Reggie Corbin, each sporting an impressive 6.8 ypc average. These cats are the key cogs powering a rushing attack which averages 253 yards per game. MJ Rivers and AJ Bush are the passers and they average around 165 yards passing per game. What’s eye opening is that Illinois is giving up 295 yards passing, and 212 yards rushing to its opponents.

This bodes well for a Rutgers offense, which has struggled to score. I think Artur notches his first 300 yard game, and a good number of long balls which fell incomplete last week, get completed this week. Defense does just enough to hold on for the win

Rutgers 30
Illinois 27

MO beat you to this.
Will this be a weekly prediction?

Normally I’d say Al is completely delusional. There are some things here that are still (like competing in November). BUT - and that’s a big BUT - a lot of what he said is sorta true, if you read it and think about it. Was it an anomaly, or is our young, young team improving and gaining confidence, and can we ride the momentum of the second half of that game into this one and beat the Illini? I was starting to get more sold in the second half, both watching the offense and the defense (when in man coverage - zone is still our weakness). Art started to look the part finally. Still a true freshman but showed signs of what he can become when he learns to limit his mistakes

Underdogs to Indiana and Illinois at home in back to back weeks, after losing to Kansas and Buffalo.

I cant watch anymore. Let me know when Ash is gone.

I think we win Saturday as well and Maryland is not out of the range of possibility. But unless Northwestern takes us too lightly, I see 3 wins as the ceiling for this year.

We so need a recruiting ringer between now and the next signing period.

Home underdogs to Indiana and Illinois. Unanimous feeling out here is that we bit off more than we can chew and don't belong in The Big Ten.

He’s going to keep saying this until he’s right, even if it means putting Liberty on Upset Alert.

I love it Al.
Even if we win, Ash is god awful in every phase of coaching up players, so it changes nothin other than it’s nice to win a game against another peer like awful opponent

an upset vrs Illini,since we are an underdog at home vrs them!
This is the superbowl of bottom feeding B10 programs!
Since we lost in the "worst of power five conference bowl" to Kansas we now have this to hang our hats on before the real beat downs start!

I love it Al.
Even if we win, Ash is god awful in every phase of coaching up players, so it changes nothin other than it’s nice to win a game against another peer like awful opponent

Let’s see where we are at the end of the season. I was impressed with the way we held Indiana scoreless in the second half and notched two turnovers. That’s coaching.

The jury is out, and I’m willing to see what e do the rest of the year.

Normally I’d say Al is completely delusional. There are some things here that are still (like competing in November). BUT - and that’s a big BUT - a lot of what he said is sorta true, if you read it and think about it. Was it an anomaly, or is our young, young team improving and gaining confidence, and can we ride the momentum of the second half of that game into this one and beat the Illini? I was starting to get more sold in the second half, both watching the offense and the defense (when in man coverage - zone is still our weakness). Art started to look the part finally. Still a true freshman but showed signs of what he can become when he learns to limit his mistakes

Agree that Art looked better. Seems like he was trying to force it too much in the first several games. He needs to learn how to move out of tight situations and be a little more patient finding his receivers. That said, tough to do when he doesn't get much help from our O line. Hope we can gain confidence and ride that "mo" wave.

We gotta walk before we can run, and Saturday we took a significant step forward in realizing our potential.

- WRs flashed, especially Shameen Jones, who caught his first TD pass, and Bo Melton, who had a terrific run, in addition to a fourth down conversion, thx to stretching out past the marker. Eddie Lewis continued to be productive, and solidified his hold on the third WR slot
- team played with confidence, even when down big, and battled back, to make the margin respectable
- defense was especially good on 1st and second down; need to get better on third down.
- Bateky notched a sack
- Damon Hayes notched an interception on a terrific fourth down play which prevented a touchdown

While it wasn’t a win, that was as good a result we could expect without winning. We showed we belonged on the field with a Big Ten adversary. We got the confidence to know that we can execute, especially in critical fourth down situations. The kids hard work is paying off, and this should motivate them in their preparation this week. If we have Blessaun Austin, we win that game because Indiana doesn’t make as many third down conversions, which killed us. We need to take our second half effort, extrapolate that over the remainder of the season, and improve upon it. Do that, and come November we could be the most dangerous team in America, with a chance to knockoff a few heavyweights, especially, Penn State. With Artur as our QB, we are capable of beating anyone. But for now, it should be one opponent at a time. My only focus is on our next opponent- Illinois.

Illinois comes to town sporting a 2-2 record. They’ve beaten Kent State and Western Illinois, while falling to South Florida and Penn State. They are led by a two headed tandem of running backs in Ike Epstein and Reggie Corbin, each sporting an impressive 6.8 ypc average. These cats are the key cogs powering a rushing attack which averages 253 yards per game. MJ Rivers and AJ Bush are the passers and they average around 165 yards passing per game. What’s eye opening is that Illinois is giving up 295 yards passing, and 212 yards rushing to its opponents.

This bodes well for a Rutgers offense, which has struggled to score. I think Artur notches his first 300 yard game, and a good number of long balls which fell incomplete last week, get completed this week. Defense does just enough to hold on for the win

Rutgers 30
Illinois 27

I will absolutely take that bet that Art reaches 300 yds passing. Any terms you want. Any amount you want. Please give me that bet!

Reactions: NickRU714
I think we win Saturday as well and Maryland is not out of the range of possibility. But unless Northwestern takes us too lightly, I see 3 wins as the ceiling for this year.

We so need a recruiting ringer between now and the next signing period.
What asst coach worth any value are going to come here knowing Ashs days are numbered.? IF anything you will probably see current assts leave at seasons end.recruiting will be in same mode.buckle up.

1. Rutgers has never passed for 300 yards under Ash. They have only passed for over 200 yards 4 times.
2016 - Minnesota 222, Indiana 258, Maryland 203
2017 - ZERO GAMES WITH 200 YARDS PASSING
2018 - Texas State 205

Fun Fact - Rutgers has 9 games under 100 yards passing under Ash.

2. Rutgers has scored 30 points just 3 times out of 20 games against a Big Ten oppenent.

3. Here is the WR/TE "production" from last week that you reference:
Melton 4 for 32
Jones 3 for 34
Lewis 3 for 23
Washington 2 for 55 (39 of which was from a RB)

You want to be positive, fine.
But dont piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

- Bateky notched a sack

Rutgers 30
Illinois 27

Good call Al...I've us RU winning by 10+!

MO

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT