ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob-Geo and lead guard

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
We have conflated point and lead guard in college hoops. But there is a concept of lead guard and that guard is usually the floor leader. Jacob is that guard and justifiably as I have always argued that he is the team's most important player. Last season it was Geo. Could that be negatively impacting Geo's psyche?

We have conflated point and lead guard in college hoops. But there is a concept of lead guard and that guard is usually the floor leader. Jacob is that guard and justifiably as I have always argued that he is the team's most important player. Last season it was Geo. Could that be negatively impacting Geo's psyche?

Maybe, but Geo was a better shooter as a freshman with Corey as the alpha.

Legit concern. However, I really think most of his mental issues stem from the foot injury. His shot and explosiveness still has not returned. That three point step back at the end of the half was anything but vintage geo ...form all arms and no legs

I don’t know if he will heal this season or not...but I think if he does, his game returns back to form

Agree. Jacob should be lead/point guard. Geo should toe the 3pt line and look for the kick out

Not sure what Geo offers. Poor outside shot and his 3 point percentage has gone down every year he has been here. He has a lot of trouble guarding quick guards and other teams know that. Medicocre handle and mediocre vision.

Read this thread I wonder what Geo did to earn this:

2020-21 PRESEASON ALL-BIG TEN TEAM
Kofi Cockburn, Sophomore Center, Illinois
AYO DOSUNMU, JUNIOR GUARD, ILLINOIS
Trayce Jackson-Davis, Sophomore Forward, Indiana
LUKA GARZA, SENIOR CENTER, IOWA
Joe Wieskamp, Junior Guard/Forward, Iowa
Aaron Henry, Junior Forward, Michigan State
Marcus Carr, Junior Guard, Minnesota
Trevion Williams, Junior Forward, Purdue
Geo Baker, Senior Guard, Rutgers
Nate Reuvers, Senior Forward, Wisconsin

That was preseason. He earned that bass on what he did in the past. He was injured and isn’t able to play at that level ( yet). Coach needs to see that and change his game plan to reflect whatGeonis able to do know

That was preseason. He earned that bass on what he did in the past. He was injured and isn’t able to play at that level ( yet). Coach needs to see that and change his game plan to reflect whatGeonis able to do know

And that was a response to the immediate above post above mine. Geo being mediocre in aspects of his game. He is injured, if anyone noticed his legs are not there. One play his legs wobbled like a boxer that was hit flush on the chin. And personal opinion, he is still worried about his landing once he leaves his feet. Not sure when he will get back to his preseason ranking level because of this injury.

But coming into this season to make it sound like Geo wasn’t a top guard in this league is wrong.

Reactions: phlop87
Not a Geo fan?

Never have been. Most overreated player in Rutgers basketball history. And I know for sure that after Geo has one decent game or another crappy one where he manages to hit a shot in the last two minutes people on here are going to be talking about how he is Rutgers basketball version of Michael Jordan.

I wish Pike would reestablish roles and positions for continuity and simplifying, get their confidence back that they showed in the first 6 games of the season.

Jacob is our lead guard 40 min --1 of (Paul/Caleb/Jaden)
Geo and Mathis at 2 40 min
We have 3 wings/lead forwards 40 min Paul/Caleb/now Jaden. It would behoove Pike to move one to the backup lead guard, Jaden would benefit most.
RHJ and either Mag or Reiber at 4 40 min
Cliff and Myles at 5 40

That's how I see our team going forward. At times in the last 6 games, it looks like our players are forgetting which position they are playing on the floor, causing more confusion and mistakes then there should be from upperclassmen. Wisconsin game was a step in the right direction of fixing things from some players.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT