ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Young is our most talented player

His athleticism is off the charts. When he plays under control hes as good as anybody

He cannot be forced to play off the ball like last game and first 10 minutes of this game.

Our team needs him offensively because we lack in the ability to otherwise force a defense to move and get out of position.

You take the bad with the good and if the turn overs get out of control you give the ball to someone else for a few possessions.

• Love
Reactions: JerseyB
Geo is still on the team! Geo can create outside shots and drive. I like Young , he’s the quickest guy no doubt, but it’s either Geo or Ron for most talented for me.

Reactions: Kbee3
Very quick/fast. Is it me... or does it look like his sneakers are too big? Imagine how fast he would be if he had smaller feet.

Best in order

1 Geo
2 Ron
3 Johnson
4 Young
5 McConnell
6 Mathis
7 Paul
8 Cliff
9 Mag
10 Rieber
11 Doucure
12 Oskar

Young always looks better then he is when there are no shot blockers in the game. His outside shot is way too inconsistent. I like him off the bench as a spark when b10 starts. First five listed are my starting 5 once we get into the B10 season. Reiber could be a pleasant surprise and push to be a starter.

Harper
Geo
Paul
Cliff
Mathis
Young
Myles
Reiber
Mag
PAlmquist
Doucoure

I never said he was our best player. Most talented doesn't equal best player. Baker and Harper are still our two best players. But Young is the most athletically gifted player.

Reactions: RUMountie
As I said in the game thread, he has elite level speed and quickness, especially off of cuts, for any sport. Would love to see him as a punt returner and scat back in football. If he had a better outside shot, he'd be in the NBA.

Reactions: satnom
Harper is most talented. Geo is middle of the pack talent wise. A knack for making a last second shot but mediocre as a shooter, passer, court vision, and D. Seriously, name one aspect of Geo's game that sticks out talent wise?

He may be the fastest player in the B!G/ nation...and if given a basketball in his hands the only one who'd have a chance against Insane Bolt (JK...sorta).

MO
Cliff running up court reminds me of Bolt. Not as fast of course, but he does look like him imo.

Ron is our most talented, Geo is our best overall player but Young is our most explosive and athletic
I think Baker owned that title through last year but I do wonder if guys are going to be making legit claims for best overall player this season.

Not sure if Young is one of those guys, but his D does give his argument a boost.

Harper is most talented. Geo is middle of the pack talent wise. A knack for making a last second shot but mediocre as a shooter, passer, court vision, and D. Seriously, name one aspect of Geo's game that sticks out talent wise?
Name a Rutgers player than can shoot off the dribble? Geo is the only player who can create his own shot. More athletic than most realize, his bounce has gotten better and better each year

Relax folks it was FDU. JY (and RHJ and MM and GB and MJ, ...) will have an awesome season, let’s just wait 10 or 15 games before we put crowns on anyone’s head.

Name a Rutgers player than can shoot off the dribble? Geo is the only player who can create his own shot. More athletic than most realize, his bounce has gotten better and better each year
Young can very much create his own shot. Often times last year, when the offense bogged down, Young's individual ability was what would break the log jam.

If Harper is able to duplicate more of those back down turnaround bank shots, that would get him into the discussion as well.

I never said he was our best player. Most talented doesn't equal best player. Baker and Harper are still our two best players. But Young is the most athletically gifted player.
Most talented? It’s only been two games, but I might pick Omo. That kid looks crazy talented so far.

Reactions: RU-05
He cannot be forced to play off the ball like last game and first 10 minutes of this game.

Our team needs him offensively because we lack in the ability to otherwise force a defense to move and get out of position.

You take the bad with the good and if the turn overs get out of control you give the ball to someone else for a few possessions.
I'm noticed the something. When he's the pg he makes things happen. The game is faster and But he also needs to cut the turn overs

Young has been excellent so far , the jump he and mathis seem to have made will be massive

mathis on the drive seems to of gotten even better. Last year I got giddy when his theee started to fall regularly. He will have a big year as the third option and defensive stud

It's awesome that we have 2 players that regularly take over games at point guard in Young and Baker, and two other impact players that can put the team on their back when they get hot in Johnson and Harper. And maybe a third in Mathis. Lots of ways to win.

Last edited:
Relax folks it was FDU. JY (and RHJ and MM and GB and MJ, ...) will have an awesome season, let’s just wait 10 or 15 games before we put crowns on anyone’s head.
did you watch JY in last year's last game vs Purdue? Dunking over Haarms?

I watched live while decorating the tree with fam and was distracted. Just rewatched the game. Young was absolutely phenomenal. He saved the game in the first half and set Ron up for many of his buckets. I think people are actually mostly underrating how good and important Young is to this team. He brings a level of speed we don't have and his ability to play on ball D against opposing PGs is huge. He gets us easy buckets. His passing has been so so improved making him a legit PG the way he is distributing and not just a scoring guard.

did you watch JY in last year's last game vs Purdue? Dunking over Haarms?
Lets be accurate. He ran past Haarms and dunked while Harms was flailing around like a desperate octopus trying to catch up. Harms then whacked Young in a feeble attempt to block the shot from behind . lol

But Young did not dunk "on" or "over" Haarms. He just made him look foolish.

well.. I will not count Geo or McConnel now... maybe later.. But from what we have seen in 2 games i'd say..

Harper
Mathis
Young
Johnson
Mulcahy
Omoruyi
Mag
Reiber
others

Several are very close and some just need more time.. like Omoruyi could easily be top 3 by seasons end.

The most important right now are Harper, Young and Mathis... though we have Mulcahy to step in for somoene fading from that trio.

You know what.. they are all important. Every one of them because we play a team game and we need them to show up in one way or another.. every game.

Most talented? It’s only been two games, but I might pick Omo. That kid looks crazy talented so far.
I wrote yesterday wait until games 11-12 and Cliff O may earn some “best “ on the team accolades...Not as an outside shooter but a dominant force on the boards, a shot changer and garbage points collector around the rim ... just a tremendous athletic guy.

Leadership. It is a talent as much as it is an attribute. His whole attitude says, "We got this", and if you think that is inconsequential, can't help you. Geo is less athletic than several of our guys, and not that fast. But his absence hurts our cohesion.

Reactions: BillyC80
ADVERTISEMENT