ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden Jones/Mulcahy

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
Lets hope this kid can step in and play ala the OSU guard who I watched the other night and he has to take Mulcahy's minutes he brings nothing to the table on the offensive side except turnovers, the ball just stops moving when it gets in his hands and I can't figure out why when we needed offense at the end of the game Pikell has him in the game; I can't figure out his obsession with him he wouldn't even take a wide open 3 foot shot last night one of the key sequences late in the game and turned it over

• Love
Reactions: JerseyB
You are the one with the obsession, stop hating on him. Your game thread posts were an embarrassment as a grown man targeting a college kid. He had a bad game with some uncharacteristic bad passes but there was a lot of poor play last night. He always gives full effort and does things that don't show up, like hustling down with Young that allowed Young and easy basket because he used Mulcahy as a decoy.

It’s because he freezes on offense. He will take an open 3 and drive the lane from time to time but it’s just not there.

He doesn’t look confident when he has the ball and isn’t a threat while on the floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyB
Guys ...be objective

I love the intangibles that Paul brings ...and his D is getting better, but his lack offense Is a huge problem, as his minutes Without the scoring to match on an average level for how much he is playing cause the others to need to score more when he is on the floor..while opponents sag off PM and make it harder with less space for the other 4

I believe Jaden's game is similar to Paul's. Heady player with the ability to pass. He is even longer than PM with a great wingspan. I think he might be a slightly better scorer who will continue to improve as he puts on strength. He is going to be good, but won't be a savoir this year.

Right now JJ will give and take. He will possibly give more offense but may not be strong enough to defend. Mulcahy is Hodgson without the scoring capability. Basically you can cheat on him when you are defending and try and clog the middle. Needs to work on his shot confidence level.He can knock them down in practice but can he do it in a game?

I believe Jaden's game is similar to Paul's. Heady player with the ability to pass. He is even longer than PM with a great wingspan. I think he might be a slightly better scorer who will continue to improve as he puts on strength. He is going to be good, but won't be a savoir this year.
Jaden is 24/7 buckets from three...

Reactions: Scangg
Jaden is 24/7 buckets from three...
Jaden is supposed to be a gifted scorer from all levels on the floor.
Not remotely like Paul.
I always think in terms of what opposing players and coaches think about our players. Paul is easy to defend and he’s pretty much a non factor in the beating you department.
I once had the opportunity to speak with the Ohio St. defensive backs coach at a dinner event.
He told me the only wideout on the field they even had to worry about or defend was Carroo, the other wideouts were non factors.
Paul is a non factor to game plan against and easy to defend for opposing players.
That said he’s a pretty good defender and rebounder

Jaden lacks elite athleticism and plays at a slower, controlled speed. We'll see if he can create his own shot right away at this level if he plays this year. Maybe he can, and I see the argument that he may be less one dimensional than Paul. He fits Pike's mold because he can pass and has a high basketball IQ. He'll be good.

Mulcahy does a lot of the little things that often go unnoticed because of his lack of scoring. He does pass well, helps break down zones with his passing , plays tough defense , rebounds well for a guard, and always hustles with a high motor. No quit with Paul. That said , he needs to work on his outside shot to force opposing teams to at least account for him on offense. When he's out there with Myles , teams know that they need to concentrate only on the other three players on the floor. And when those guys are missing, the offense just grinds to a halt.

Last edited:
Paul strengths: big guard, good handle, court vision, directs traffic, rebounds and doesn’t back down from a challenge.

Paul weakness: doesn’t look for shot, low % shooter, can’t guard quick guards and doesn’t pose a scoring threat.

If Paul can develop a consistent outside shot his driving to distribute game will flourish to the benefit of others. Paul is not a BIG pg or perimeter defender but he can become a formidable 2g with a shot or an effective forward that can handle and rebound, rebound, rebound.

Love Paul on our roster but for the amount of mins played his production needs to increase in scoring or rebounding otherwise his minutes need to be reduced.

I will also add that Montez mins needs to be reduced if he doesn’t improve his in between game and continues to just take threes or just drive to the basket even if there are three defenders under the basket. He also needs to improve his finishing at the basket. Doesn’t finish smoothly consistently.

GO RU

Paul strengths: big guard, good handle, court vision, directs traffic, rebounds and doesn’t back down from a challenge.

Paul weakness: doesn’t look for shot, low % shooter, can’t guard quick guards and doesn’t pose a scoring threat.

If Paul can develop a consistent outside shot his driving to distribute game will flourish to the benefit of others. Paul is not a BIG pg or perimeter defender but he can become a formidable 2g with a shot or an effective forward that can handle and rebound, rebound, rebound.

Love Paul on our roster but for the amount of mins played his production needs to increase in scoring or rebounding otherwise his minutes need to be reduced.

I will also add that Montez mins needs to be reduced if he doesn’t improve his in between game and continues to just take threes or just drive to the basket even if there are three defenders under the basket. He also needs to improve his finishing at the basket. Doesn’t finish smoothly consistently.

GO RU
I consider the art of shooting a basketball to be very much like throwing a baseball or football.... you can’t teach it.
Serious question,
Do you really think there’s a chance Paul will or can “develop a consistent outside shot”
What are the chances of that happening in your opinion, or had to bet on it?

Lets hope this kid can step in and play ala the OSU guard who I watched the other night and he has to take Mulcahy's minutes he brings nothing to the table on the offensive side except turnovers, the ball just stops moving when it gets in his hands and I can't figure out why when we needed offense at the end of the game Pikell has him in the game; I can't figure out his obsession with him he wouldn't even take a wide open 3 foot shot last night one of the key sequences late in the game and turned it over
Enough on Mulcahy, for now, looks likes he has some detractors, AND some that really like him.
What about Dean Reiber, some doubt he will make it some say no?

I consider the art of shooting a basketball to be very much like throwing a baseball or football.... you can’t teach it.
Serious question,
Do you really think there’s a chance Paul will or can “develop a consistent outside shot”
Its an interesting question look at Rajon Rondo or Ben Simmons; Rajon never improved his outside shot and had a great career and Simmons can't shoot either but to me there are guys who can work on your shot and I would be shooting a 1000 jumpers a day to improve my shot; Mulcahy has a lot of talent and if he can just develop that shot than he can be a very effective weapon because of his size and his passing ability but we need him to score he can't be a nonfactor and we can't play 4 against 5 on the offensive side when he is in

There are no Mulcahy detractors....this is high level, B1G basketball where everyone gets critiqued and the production has a right to be reviewed.

If shots are presented to you and they're considered "shots you can make", you have to capitalize on them.

He is around 28 minutes a game since the Syracuse game which is 9 total games.

We have 53 total points in 9 games, 1 of the 9 was the best game for Paul when he logged 35 minutes vs Purdue, went 3 of 5 from 3 point range for 11 points....in that game RU wins by 5, over a solid Purdue team.

Mulcahy scored above his average and RU wins.

In the games since Purdue...97 minutes and 19 points...24 -25 minutes, games of 2,4,7 and 6 points.

RU will be in tight games and Mulcahy is a good FT shooter, he has worked on his 3 point shooting, teams are not guarding him as a shooter or scorer. In this instance when you don't have the defenses focus on the scouting report, 25 minutes a game should generate more than 5 to 6 PPG.

RU beat teams last year because you really could not isolate on anyone outside of Geo Baker, who played a good amount of last year with an injured thumb on his shooting hand.

To beat teams now hyper focused on Harper and Geo, teams are allowing Young to take them off the dribble and if he beats them, so be it....to take the next step, Mulcahy needs to be more proactive and aggressive when he has opportunities.

Caleb McConnell has played 4 games...11 minutes in 1st game, no points....22 minutes in 2nd game...2 FTs....

The last 2 games, 12 and 7 points....he has played 21 and 23 minutes in last 2 games.

Gotta find bench points from Mulcahy and McConnell that looks like 20+ points combined between the 2 of them in their 20-25 minutes. Ideally they hit their open 3s and get fouled because they're both good FT shooters as well, so it doesn't have to be just baskets or 3s....

How does Jones factor in...I think the faster he gets up to speed, the more flexibility the lineup has in mid to late February....he is a scoring threat as a shooter....I cannot imagine he doesn't play sooner than later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmoves
Serious question,
Zap,
If you’re saying that Paul becoming a 40% shooter by just working at it is a long shot, I agree. You either have a stroke or you don’t. Just like throwing a football 60 yds with accuracy or painting the outside lower corner of a strike box with a 95 mile slider.

If Paul makes a Montez jump in fg % into the lower 30s he and team will be better for it and I think it’s doable; more so than all of a sudden being able to guard BIG guards up and down the floor or develop a 40” vertical.

All last year and less this season he’s been passing up wide open shots and not even threes but shots five feet from the hoop in the paint which is totally unacceptable and will have defenses not even think twice about guarding Paul.

Missing shots is one thing but not taking high % shots, poor defense and making turnovers should relegate you to the bench.

We don’t have pure shooters [not even Ron]. We have streak shooters and RU just needs a roster full of streaky shooters where a couple can get hot every game.

If you don’t shoot the ball especially as a guard you’re not fully in the game.

GO RU

Reactions: Knightmoves
You are the one with the obsession, stop hating on him. Your game thread posts were an embarrassment as a grown man targeting a college kid. He had a bad game with some uncharacteristic bad passes but there was a lot of poor play last night. He always gives full effort and does things that don't show up, like hustling down with Young that allowed Young and easy basket because he used Mulcahy as a decoy.
You have to be a scoring threat to be a decoy.

Reactions: satnom

GO RU
You need to be able to shoot if you are a 2 guard. Mulcahy has not shown that ability yet.

There's a difference between being a legit shooter who can stroke it from anywhere. Hit pull ups, step backs, hand in your face etc and practicing a set shot open 3 from specific spots on the floor. That can be worked on and improved.

Paul is a career 33% shooter from 3 so its not THAT bad to begin with. Its higher than Geo's although Geo takes harder 3's. Mathis shot in the 20's his first 2 years from 3 and is now shooting 40% this season

There are no Mulcahy detractors....this is high level, B1G basketball where everyone gets critiqued and the production has a right to be reviewed.

If shots are presented to you and they're considered "shots you can make", you have to capitalize on them.

He is around 28 minutes a game since the Syracuse game which is 9 total games.

We have 53 total points in 9 games, 1 of the 9 was the best game for Paul when he logged 35 minutes vs Purdue, went 3 of 5 from 3 point range for 11 points....in that game RU wins by 5, over a solid Purdue team.

Mulcahy scored above his average and RU wins.

In the games since Purdue...97 minutes and 19 points...24 -25 minutes, games of 2,4,7 and 6 points.

RU will be in tight games and Mulcahy is a good FT shooter, he has worked on his 3 point shooting, teams are not guarding him as a shooter or scorer. In this instance when you don't have the defenses focus on the scouting report, 25 minutes a game should generate more than 5 to 6 PPG.

RU beat teams last year because you really could not isolate on anyone outside of Geo Baker, who played a good amount of last year with an injured thumb on his shooting hand.

To beat teams now hyper focused on Harper and Geo, teams are allowing Young to take them off the dribble and if he beats them, so be it....to take the next step, Mulcahy needs to be more proactive and aggressive when he has opportunities.

Caleb McConnell has played 4 games...11 minutes in 1st game, no points....22 minutes in 2nd game...2 FTs....

The last 2 games, 12 and 7 points....he has played 21 and 23 minutes in last 2 games.

Gotta find bench points from Mulcahy and McConnell that looks like 20+ points combined between the 2 of them in their 20-25 minutes. Ideally they hit their open 3s and get fouled because they're both good FT shooters as well, so it doesn't have to be just baskets or 3s....

How does Jones factor in...I think the faster he gets up to speed, the more flexibility the lineup has in mid to late February....he is a scoring threat as a shooter....I cannot imagine he doesn't play sooner than later.
Would you agree Hawk, the fact Paul has been to the foul line what seems to be literally only a handful of times, speaks volumes about his offensive mind set?
You would think the coaches would be telling him for the minutes you’ve been playing your presence on the foul line is shockingly low, to the point of being un-engaged offensively

Lots of misplaced attention on mulcahy imo. Rutgers goes as geo and rhj go. Full stop. Montez can be important but those two define the season. Mulcahy just needs to play his role. Also he is not a bad shooter. Almost anyone that can make fouls shots can hit an open three. That’s all we need.

Mulcahy's shooting percentage is not bad, 44.6%, but 31.6% on threes is a little low. That wide open three the arc was terrible, I knew it would not go in when the ball was five feet from his hand. He needs to work on his shot and get more confident. He needs to shoot and score more for his playing time. If the Jones is better overall then he should take minutes from Mulcahy and maybe some others, I have no problem with that.

Would you agree Hawk, the fact Paul has been to the foul line what seems to be literally only a handful of times, speaks volumes about his offensive mind set?
You would think the coaches would be telling him for the minutes you’ve been playing your presence on the foul line is shockingly low, to the point of being un-engaged offensively

I think the league just refuses to call fouls unless blatant or it's a star player or top team.

If Mulcahy was more aggressive, I believe refs would call fouls against his defender more than Mathis driving into the lane without a "jump-stop".

A jump-stop allows a Mulcahy to pivot or pump fake to draw fouls. He has very good footwork and understands angles. Frankly, I expected him to take full advantage like he did starting the season and it hasn't happened.

The difference is he is such a good passer that he could be so much more effective by scoring aggressively and then his passing would help others so much more than it does now.

If you took 9 shots and made 3, that's not a great percentage but let's say he is fouled in 2 of the 9 attempts and gets to the line 3 to 4 times (maybe a 2 shot foul and one where he scored after he is fouled.

Without counting a 3 point attempt, he could have 2 to 3 baskets and 3 to 4 FTs and be in double figures every other game at worse. I think he's not decisive enough and makes him appear slower than he is when looking to make passes.

In the flow of the game, he should be able to do what Caleb does is the best next step. If open, take the shot....if a lane opens, take it to make a play. He has high IQ basketball talent, I figured it would click on right now.....

I know Penn State probably presents a difficult matchup....Jones, Dredd, Wheeler and Sessioms all are capable of defending Paul and with the exception of Wheeler, I expect those 3 guards to bomb away from 3 point range....Paul will have to defend well but also score some to help offset the difference. I guarantee PSU is going to be focused on Baker, Young and Mathis....Caleb and Mulcahy should have solid games Thursday.

I think the league just refuses to call fouls unless blatant or it's a star player or top team.

If Mulcahy was more aggressive, I believe refs would call fouls against his defender more than Mathis driving into the lane without a "jump-stop".

A jump-stop allows a Mulcahy to pivot or pump fake to draw fouls. He has very good footwork and understands angles. Frankly, I expected him to take full advantage like he did starting the season and it hasn't happened.

The difference is he is such a good passer that he could be so much more effective by scoring aggressively and then his passing would help others so much more than it does now.

If you took 9 shots and made 3, that's not a great percentage but let's say he is fouled in 2 of the 9 attempts and gets to the line 3 to 4 times (maybe a 2 shot foul and one where he scored after he is fouled.

Without counting a 3 point attempt, he could have 2 to 3 baskets and 3 to 4 FTs and be in double figures every other game at worse. I think he's not decisive enough and makes him appear slower than he is when looking to make passes.

In the flow of the game, he should be able to do what Caleb does is the best next step. If open, take the shot....if a lane opens, take it to make a play. He has high IQ basketball talent, I figured it would click on right now.....

I know Penn State probably presents a difficult matchup....Jones, Dredd, Wheeler and Sessioms all are capable of defending Paul and with the exception of Wheeler, I expect those 3 guards to bomb away from 3 point range....Paul will have to defend well but also score some to help offset the difference. I guarantee PSU is going to be focused on Baker, Young and Mathis....Caleb and Mulcahy should have solid games Thursday.
Hawk it just seems that when the ball gets in his hand the offense and ball movement just stop and the epitome of him passing up an open shot was one of the key plays in the Wisconsin game when he had a little 4 footer and passed up that shot and tried a bounce pass which was stolen.
I think his other problem since he is always thinking pass first is that he doesn't get his feet under him when he is wide open

Let’s be objective with Paul here...and I love
What the kid represents off the court and the kids gritty , hard nose effort....

6.1 ppg in 29.0 Mpg ...only shooting 56 times in 12 games.

it’s just not enough shot attempts, it’s just not enough points...and he just doesn’t have enough assists To make up for the lack of production

furthermore ...there is plenty of evidence that opponents are slacking off of him which makes it harder for him to penetrate and less space for his teammates to make it happen after he dishes

if he wants to remain on the court...he needs to be a much more willing scorer. Part of that is creating his own shot.

Hawk it just seems that when the ball gets in his hand the offense and ball movement just stop and the epitome of him passing up an open shot was one of the key plays in the Wisconsin game when he had a little 4 footer and passed up that shot and tried a bounce pass which was stolen.
I think his other problem since he is always thinking pass first is that he doesn't get his feet under him when he is wide open

you are nailing an important point. The ball needs to keep moving. Paul gets the Ball and a lot of time the action stops and the defense catches up

Caleb does this too...got to keep the ball movong and make the decision quicker.

Hawk-
Let’s assume you’re right about Paul and what his offensive contribution would bring to us.
Are you saying both Pike and Brandin Knight don’t know it?
As I said earlier, you’d think they’d be all in his ear and coaching him up every day to at least attempt to do as you say.
If they are and he’s not, his minutes should reflect his failure to do as they ask.
Or...they’re not doing that?
Which is it

Hawk-
Let’s assume you’re right about Paul and what his offensive contribution would bring to us.
Are you saying both Pike and Brandin Knight don’t know it?
As I said earlier, you’d think they’d be all in his ear and coaching him up every day to at least attempt to do as you say.
If they are and he’s not, his minutes should reflect his failure to do as they ask.
Or...they’re not doing that?
Which is it
But his minutes don’t reflect that against Wisconsin he had 4 turnovers and 2 points yet Pikell had him in the down the stretch a head scratcher to me as we needed offense

There's a difference between being a legit shooter who can stroke it from anywhere. Hit pull ups, step backs, hand in your face etc and practicing a set shot open 3 from specific spots on the floor. That can be worked on and improved.

Paul is a career 33% shooter from 3 so its not THAT bad to begin with. Its higher than Geo's although Geo takes harder 3's. Mathis shot in the 20's his first 2 years from 3 and is now shooting 40% this season
Paul only takes the open 3. He has a set shot so I can’t see him ever being a guy who does more than take the “Issa 3 pointer”

Serious question,
While I think it's rare players develop into shooters, it is possible. Old timers here may remember Damon Santiago who developed into our best three point shooter his senior year.

While I think it's rare players develop into shooters, it is possible. Old timers here may remember Damon Santiago who developed into our best three point shooter his senior year.

You’re calling me an old timer because I watched Damon Santiago play when I was a freshman? Guilty as charged...

Reactions: RW90
You’re calling me an old timer because I watched Damon Santiago play when I was a freshman? Guilty as charged...
Then what about us who watched PHil Sellers etc and there are many on the board who go back even farther I guess we are ancient!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT