ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Jaden Jones to the NBA Draft

All off season we heard how nasty he is and what he will bring to the table for this team offensively.

That was coming out from people watching him play in practice. Watching his game.

The kid isn’t an idiot, he knows he could have brought value to the team.

For anyone that watched or attended any games you could have easily saw he wasn’t ready for BIG10 play or had work to do.

Offseason reports are great but I care more about actual game play. Not saying he’s not gonna turn it around or excel but have zero problem with him riding the bench this year if that’s what you’re inferring.

Is he's considered NBA draft material right now, what does that make Cliff?

I don’t know what’s worse - him declaring leaving us very bare for next year scoring wise or us having an NBA prospect on the bench that RARELY played and could have helped us this past year hahah. Either way, best of luck to him. I feel pretty confident he’s not returning and may go G-league route.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I did see that. I took it to mean that Jaden was practicing against the best defensive player in the conference which would benefit his game. Not that defending Jaden helped Caleb become an elite defender.
Yes - exactly. It’s just a weird comment to be making knowing full well your kid has 2 feet out the door and is about to go pro.

I don’t know - he didn’t announce that he’s entering the portal. It seems like maybe he’s set on going pro?

For anyone that watched or attended any games you could have easily saw he wasn’t ready for BIG10 play or had work to do.

Offseason reports are great but I care more about actual game play. Not saying he’s not gonna turn it around or excel but have zero problem with him riding the bench this year if that’s what you’re inferring.
I guess the thought is that experience will help him improve?

We saw Cliff take a big leap forward, even if Jones saw half the improvement Cliff did he could have logged productive quality minutes for us.

If he is indeed never going to wear a Rutgers jersey again, I think it's safe to say he will still need to buy his own dinner/beer (once he's 21)/etc. in New Brunswick, unlike Ron, Caleb, and Geo.

This is a real head scratcher. Anyone have JJ to the draft on your March 2022 bingo card?

Reactions: NYSportsFan
Look at his game logs
Lehigh 10 minutes 2-5,
Merrimack 15 minutes 3-4
NJIT 12 minutes 2-2
DePaul 9 minutes 1-1
Lafayette 12 minutes 1-6
UMass 19 minutes 5-11
Jalen Miller redshirt pulled
Clemson 21 minutes 2-9
Illinois 27 minutes 4-14
Purdue-Seton Hall- Maine 16 minutes, 0-4
CCSU 18 minutes 2-7

Maybe he looked very good in the scrimmages vs UConn, vs Villanova. The season started and Jaden bought into his role at first, but when Paul, FG 5-26 first 3 games, and Caleb, shot 5-19 first 3 games, 5-30 through 5 games struggled and he wasn't seeing more time to help his team win bothered him. Maybe there were more chemistry problems or more to the story than we are led to believe early in the season that led to that (3-3) start and the 35 pt disaster @ Illinois. He only had 7 PFs, 2 TOs on the season. Maybe the lack of effort on defense was disinterest than just bad defense. They did say he played good defense in high school and AAU ball against other great talent.

Last edited:
It sounds like had no intention of playing college ball. Enrolled early got his one year of college in and didn't enroll in any classes or stopped attending the start of the spring semester 2022 which led Pikiell to stop playing him.
If that's the case, couldn't he have gone to the G-League right out of high school? That would have been better prep for the NBA than practicing at RU and playing minimal minutes.

It’s actually hard to believe that through practices that he did not progress enough to earn a few minutes. God knows we needed bench help. But I agree, rather than speculate, let it play out and see where it goes.

Pikiell gave a boilerplate statement of support. I'm guessing that Pike is a nice guy and would do this no matter what, but still. If Jones was dead-set on leaving then Pikiell didn't have to say anything.

He could pull a Leah Thomas and declare for the WNBA…he will own that ****!

😉
I assume you mean Lia, who just won an NCAA swimming championship... (I'm usually relatively liberal, but this always bothers me since there's no question that the physiological playing field isn't even....) But despite the advantage he'd have, I don't think Jaden will change his name to Jadene anytime soon... 😉

Last edited:
I was actually surprised we haven’t seen a message that he entered the portal yet…I guess this is more or less the same.

Anyone who thought he was coming back was kidding themselves. He was behind every single scholarship player on the bench and there was no way he deserved that unless they knew he wasn’t coming back.

Also, these posts always make it sound like these guys are leaving for the league, check Geos post from lasts year. Doesn’t mean much, and I’d add the fact he isn’t entering the transfer portal which is what guys who are planning to either surprise in workouts or leave their team do. There is a non-zero possibility he’s back

Reactions: Scangg
All off season we heard how nasty he is and what he will bring to the table for this team offensively.

That was coming out from people watching him play in practice. Watching his game.

The kid isn’t an idiot, he knows he could have brought value to the team.
He may not be an idiot (but he might be (?)) but if he thought he was an NBA level player and refused to put in the work that Pikiell demanded, that's on him and he isn't the kind of player we want here anyway.

I hope he was NOT one of the young players that Geo said worked so hard in practice. If so, I would be afraid that means this guy was playing everybody, including Pike and the Team, until the season was over.
You.. think it would be bad if he worked hard in practice? What?
an NBA prospect
according to his own mind, at least
Maybe the lack of effort on defense was intentional than just bad defense. They did say he played good defense in high school and AAU ball against other great talent.
Why would he play intentionally bad defense lol? Playing "good" defense in AAU is not the same as playing for the best defensive coach in the Big Ten.
I assume you mean Lia, who just won an NCAA swimming championship... (I'm fairly liberal, but this always bothers me, since there's no question that the physiological playing field isn't even....) But I don't think Jaden will change his name to Jadene anytime soon...
Open sports and (biological) women's sports. Letting men play women's sports is beyond absurd. "Men's" (i.e. open) sports should be open to anyone who can compete with the best in the world.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Also, these posts always make it sound like these guys are leaving for the league, check Geos post from lasts year. Doesn’t mean much, and I’d add the fact he isn’t entering the transfer portal which is what guys who are planning to either surprise in workouts or leave their team do. There is a non-zero possibility he’s back
I mean Geo wasn't getting drafted last year but he, you know, played.

I really hope it's not true, especially when it seems he comes from a good family and support system. Nobody asked why he wasn't attending class?

No one said he wasn't attending class, someone just spit that out as a potential thing

But it's fact now. That's the internet.
Pike told him not to attend class until he improved his defense.

Defense > class > offense

And where did that philosophy get him? The NBA.

I'm declaring too guys, RESPECT my decision. Here's my post in case anyone missed it:

35x6ee7u

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT