ADVERTISEMENT

Jafar Williams Asst Coach..leaving Maryland?

BlockR

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2015
with the new staff taking over at Maryland,and no recent Tweets on his account maybe Williams is being cut lose by Maryland?
If so Ash needs to get him back on staff to recruit here at RU.
Guy was one of best recruiters while at RU and good RB coach.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I believe the current RB coach was last years' WR coach. So, take Williams back as RB coach and move the current coach back to WR and deepsix the current WR coach. ?

I believe the current RB coach was last years' WR coach. So, take Williams back as RB coach and move the current coach back to WR and deepsix the current WR coach. ?

The current WR coach is Lester Erb, who was the RB coach last year (who helped develop Gus Edwards into an NFL back).

Williams was the WR coach last year, and Erb got moved from RB to WR to fill in after he left for MD.

The current RB coach is Nunzio Campanile (former head coach of Bergen Catholic).

The current WR coach is Lester Erb, who was the RB coach last year (who helped develop Gus Edwards into an NFL back).

Williams was the WR coach last year, and Erb got moved from RB to WR to fill in after he left for MD.

The current RB coach is Nunzio Campanile (former head coach of Bergen Catholic).

word being passed around 1,if not two RU assts will be leaving in next week or so..

Last edited:
Reactions: RUbacker
Where did you get that Jafar was a great recruiter? He was just like the rest of them, decent. Let's get a coach who has a track record to develop WR talent

Reactions: 78CollegeAve
Hopefully it is:

Blazek to be replaced by a better OL coach
Niemann to be replaced by a dedicated QB coach.

Blazek is a tough one, because I think he is a great Coach and even better recruiter.
I think people don't understand how good a coach he is, and are just caught up in the moment of 11 straight losses. I contend if you retain anyone from this staff it is him.

I stopped reading when I got to 'blazak is a great Coach and better recruiter'
really Dude?:scream:

Reactions: miket007

Every year he is a guy that other teams want. He is a future Head Coach, and of all the coaches on staff he is the one that most HS Coaches actually enjoy dealing with.

I've actually heard this directly from several NJ Hight School Coaches.

You have to ask yourself, How much of our O-line issue is the constant scheme change over the actual talent. It is pretty hard to get good schematically when you are changing O-line scheme every year. I think the o-line specifically will make a huge jump in quality next year because of this.

Reactions: 80yrdPacheco
2017 class ranking #43..
Jafar was one of main recruiters.

2017 Rutgers
Football Commitment List

Total Commitments
Team Recruiting Rank

Jafar could also recruit south Jersey Philly for RU again,where we have been losing some battles to Temple.Could coach RBs and/or Wrs.
2016 article:
PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) — Jafar Williams has been hired as a running backs coach at Rutgers.

Coach Chris Ash announced the hiring on Thursday, completing his nine-man on-field coaching staff.

Williams spent the last three seasons in the same position at Purdue. The Philadelphia native also has coached running backs at Kent State, Northwestern, Howard, Illinois State and Moravian.

Williams was a wide receiver for Maryland from 2000-03 with 90 receptions and 1,301 receiving yards. The Terrapins earned a trip to the Orange Bowl following the 2001 season. After college, he spent time with the Washington Redskins before beginning his coaching career at Moravian.

Last edited:

It's amazing how little accountability our offensive coaching staff has - unless you are a 28 year old OC with a mohawk (then everything is your fault).
Any criticism is met with "They are great coaches. It's the talent. They need better talent. Nobody could be expected to do anything with the roster" i.e. let's blame amateur college kids and not blame the professional coaches.

Basically, the coaches just have to sit around and collect paychecks.
No need to "show" any actual coaching ability or development of players.

I got into the wrong career.

Every year he is a guy that other teams want. He is a future Head Coach, and of all the coaches on staff he is the one that most HS Coaches actually enjoy dealing with.

I've actually heard this directly from several NJ Hight School Coaches.

You have to ask yourself, How much of our O-line issue is the constant scheme change over the actual talent. It is pretty hard to get good schematically when you are changing O-line scheme every year. I think the o-line specifically will make a huge jump in quality next year because of this.

It must be my definition of "great coach".
If you are a "great coach" (like is also said about McN), then you should be able to coach up players and produce results.
Overcome adversity such a slightly changing schemes or freshman QBs.

Otherwise, what makes you such a "great coach"?
It's easy to be a "great coach" under ideal circumstances.

Reactions: miket007 and BlockR
It must be my definition of "great coach".
If you are a "great coach" (like is also said about McN), then you should be able to coach up players and produce results.
Overcome adversity such a slightly changing schemes or freshman QBs.

Otherwise, what makes you such a "great coach"?
It's easy to be a "great coach" under ideal circumstances.
Guess thats why Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are "great Coaches".
all that Talent! LOL
;);)

It's amazing how little accountability our offensive coaching staff has - unless you are a 28 year old OC with a mohawk (then everything is your fault).
Any criticism is met with "They are great coaches. It's the talent. They need better talent. Nobody could be expected to do anything with the roster" i.e. let's blame amateur college kids and not blame the professional coaches.

Basically, the coaches just have to sit around and collect paychecks.
No need to "show" any actual coaching ability or development of players.

I got into the wrong career.

Are you Mehringer's brother? You keep beating the same drum, and it's not even accurate.

Kill also took heat, though we actually showed signs of progress in '17. McNulty has taken some heat, but gets a bit of benefit due to his past success here and also because the fan base wants to get off the OC carousel for a minute.

Why bash McNulty but defend Mehringer? Dude's long gone.

Are you Mehringer's brother? You keep beating the same drum, and it's not even accurate.

Kill also took heat, though we actually showed signs of progress in '17. McNulty has taken some heat, but gets a bit of benefit due to his past success here and also because the fan base wants to get off the OC carousel for a minute.

Why bash McNulty but defend Mehringer? Dude's long gone.

1 - Getting off the OC carousel isn't a valid excuse for McN - nobody said that we needed to keep DM regardless of results so that we could get off the OC carousel. Did you want to keep DM because we needed "continuity"?
2 - Kill should have gotten heat. The "signs of progress" and wins in 2017 were a mirage. An offensive philosophy of scoring 14 points per game will never have sustainable success at Rutgers. I wanted him gone after 2017 - I didn't even think we should have hired him in the first place.
3 - The 2018 offense was worse than 2016 in just about every category. Even if you wanted to play the "talent" card and say McN had less talent - shouldn't he still have better results than 2016? Since he is such a great coach?

Still waiting for a valid reason McN deserves benefit of the doubt over having the worst offense of the Ash Era.
What's the offense going to look like next year?

DM was a bad hire for a multitude of reasons, and proved that out on the field. I don't blame him as much as I blame Ash for putting him in a position to fail, though. He was out of his depth, had no experience to fall back on when things got difficult, and had no other coaches on staff who had any experience calling plays as mentors - because Ash didn't hire any.

Kill also wasn't a good hire, for a few reasons. Primarily, he hadn't called plays in over a decade and wasn't really known as an offensive mind.... but also because Ash abandoned the system we had been recruiting to for a year and a half to go with a "whatever works, kinda pro style" approach, while shifting recruiting in a new direction.

I also wasn't enthusiastic about the McNulty hire - he hadn't called plays or been on a college sideline since he was last with us, and that was his only experience ever as an OC... with a roster chock full of NFL talent. This year was bad - but it was the third year in a cycle of aimless recruiting, so it was to be expected. I'm expecting some, but not much, improvement next year - but still thinking we're a 2-3 win team.

Reactions: BlockR and Wolv RU
1 - Getting off the OC carousel isn't a valid excuse for McN - nobody said that we needed to keep DM regardless of results so that we could get off the OC carousel. Did you want to keep DM because we needed "continuity"?
2 - Kill should have gotten heat. The "signs of progress" and wins in 2017 were a mirage. An offensive philosophy of scoring 14 points per game will never have sustainable success at Rutgers. I wanted him gone after 2017 - I didn't even think we should have hired him in the first place.
3 - The 2018 offense was worse than 2016 in just about every category. Even if you wanted to play the "talent" card and say McN had less talent - shouldn't he still have better results than 2016? Since he is such a great coach?

Still waiting for a valid reason McN deserves benefit of the doubt over having the worst offense of the Ash Era.
What's the offense going to look like next year?

Again, are you Mehringer's brother?

Mehringer was two OCs ago, was obviously not ready for the job and chose to leave - why would anyone give a shit if stopping the OC carousel was cited as a valid reason for keeping him or not. He left, and it's about to be 2019; I'll be happy to stop the OC turnstile for a year and see what happens.

Even if he is your brother, you should really let Mehringer go. He's in a better place now and hopefully we will be too. Everything else is just your obsessive rehashed whining unrelated to the thread. We've read it before; we get it; give it a rest.

Again, are you Mehringer's brother?

Mehringer was two OCs ago, was obviously not ready for the job and chose to leave - why would anyone give a shit if stopping the OC carousel was cited as a valid reason for keeping him or not. He left, and it's about to be 2019; I'll be happy to stop the OC turnstile for a year and see what happens.

Even if he is your brother, you should really let Mehringer go. He's in a better place now and hopefully we will be too. Everything else is just your obsessive rehashed whining unrelated to the thread. We've read it before; we get it; give it a rest.

Has nothing to do with DM. Couldn't care less if DM was OC or not.
It's about the archaic offensive systems we have been trying to run since 2016.

And the incredibly low expectations/excuses everyone has of the coaches - "we have great coaches, best coaches ever at RU, but nobody could win with this roster".
This started with someone saying Blazek was a great coach, future HC, we are lucky to have him. Regardless of the last 3 years of actual on field results.

Peers (Syracuse, Temple, BC, Pitt), with worse rosters according to everyone, are leaving us in the dust.

Nope, I'm wrong though.
We'll keep slowly lining up with 4TEs and run right up the middle over the rest of the Big Ten East.
It's been working great so far. Coaches who collect paychecks can't be expected to actually produce results.

Will be interesting to see what the expectations and results are for the offense next year..

Has nothing to do with DM. Couldn't care less if DM was OC or not.
It's about the archaic offensive systems we have been trying to run since 2016.

And the incredibly low expectations/excuses everyone has of the coaches - "we have great coaches, best coaches ever at RU, but nobody could win with this roster".
This started with someone saying Blazek was a great coach, future HC, we are lucky to have him. Regardless of the last 3 years of actual on field results.

Peers (Syracuse, Temple, BC, Pitt), with worse rosters according to everyone, are leaving us in the dust.

Nope, I'm wrong though.
We'll keep slowly lining up with 4TEs and run right up the middle over the rest of the Big Ten East.
It's been working great so far. Coaches who collect paychecks can't be expected to actually produce results.

Will be interesting to see what the expectations and results are for the offense next year..

If you sum that all up and send it in a Happy Holidays email to the staff, can you stop posting it here in every unrelated thread?

Thx.

ADVERTISEMENT