ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Jai Patel Commits to Rutgers

He isn't on our list of offers but there are no other kickers either. Aren't they counted just like other players? If he's a 5* and commits, would he be added into our total? It seems he should be, since that would be a scholarship that doesn't go to anyone else. Unless, of course, he is a walk-on, which would change things.

Anybody know?

He isn't on our list of offers but there are no other kickers either. Aren't they counted just like other players? If he's a 5* and commits, would he be added into our total? It seems he should be, since that would be a scholarship that doesn't go to anyone else. Unless, of course, he is a walk-on, which would change things.

Anybody know?
If you mean from a class ranking perspective, no, the regular recruiting sites don't rank kickers, so any kicker signed wouldn't add to the class's total points. There are separate sites and camps dedicated to kickers and punters, like Chris Sailer Kicking and Kohl's Kicking. Here's Jai's profile from Kohl's:

https://kohlskicking.com/player-profiles/jai-patel

Reactions: beaced
Used to be very good friends with the family when we lived in SB, he was basically a baby. Can’t believe how much this kid has grown.

His mom could be the new hot mom on the team if he comes here and he could be a folk hero with the local Indian population in that part of NJ

Last edited:
The link provided by czxqa indicates that there is a separate rating/ranking system for kickers. They aren't part of the regular rankings which is why Patel isn't on our offers list.

If he selects RU, hopefully there will be a boost in interest among the huge Indian (especially Gujarati) community in the Middlesex-Somerset area.

If he's the best kicker we can get, get him. If not, get the better guys. Unless I'm wrong, kickers often don't get scholarships. So maybe he gets a chance here.

Used to be very good friends with the family when we lived in SB, he was basically a baby. Can’t believe how much this kid has grown.

His mom could be the new hot mom on the team if he comes here and he could be a folk hero with the local Indian population in that part of NJ
If that’s his dad in the pic, with the big arms doing the chop, I’d keep that comment to myself. No matter how true it is. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: oncampus
We seem to have good luck with kickers of Asian descent. They’ve won us a few big games! Seems like a no-brainer for RU.

We have not had one scholarship player named Patel in football or hoops . Very odd considering how common of a name it is in New Jersey
Not many have ever played football or hoops at the collegiate level so probably not that odd imo. I think Temple quite a few years back had a reserve football player from PA or NJ whose last name might have been Patel or Shah. Over time future generations may contribute more to that landscape.

Reactions: RU-05
Not many have ever played football or hoops at the collegiate level so probably not that odd imo. I think Temple quite a few years back had a reserve football player from PA or NJ whose last name might have been Patel or Shah. Over time future generations may contribute more to that landscape.
Yes it’s odd when you figure how common of a name it is in this state and at the university.

If we are a field goal away from playing in the Rose Bowl, I like my chances with this kid. I dream of Pandemonium in Piscataway Part 2. #3 Penn State visits #14 Rutgers. Gavin Wimsatt throws a pass to Samuel Brown who runs it to the Penn State 22 yard line. Wimsatt spikes the ball with 14 seconds left. The field goal team lines up and slimy James Franklin calls a time out to freeze Patel. They line up and it's good. The fans then rush the field and then Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena is filled with people wearing block R's in the following January. DREAMS!

If you mean from a class ranking perspective, no, the regular recruiting sites don't rank kickers, so any kicker signed wouldn't add to the class's total points. There are separate sites and camps dedicated to kickers and punters, like Chris Sailer Kicking and Kohl's Kicking. Here's Jai's profile from Kohl's:

https://kohlskicking.com/player-profiles/jai-patel
This is great news as kicking is such an important part of the game. I still can't believe that kickers aren't included in the recruiting ratings. They should not be so undervalued. Several other positions seldom determine the outcome of a game but it happens frequently with kickers.

Rivals does in fact rank kickers, but since he is a PWO he will not receive a ranking. We only rank the scholarship prospects.

Reactions: czxqa
If we are a field goal away from playing in the Rose Bowl, I like my chances with this kid. I dream of Pandemonium in Piscataway Part 2. #3 Penn State visits #14 Rutgers. Gavin Wimsatt throws a pass to Samuel Brown who runs it to the Penn State 22 yard line. Wimsatt spikes the ball with 14 seconds left. The field goal team lines up and slimy James Franklin calls a time out to freeze Patel. They line up and it's good. The fans then rush the field and then Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena is filled with people wearing block R's in the following January. DREAMS!
AMEN

Reactions: RUinPAC10land

Where are the pictures?

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan

So, you're saying that your very good friend is a "hot mom" on a message board post welcoming her son to the school. Very classy and there is no chance her 17 year old son will be creeped out by this. Nice.

ADVERTISEMENT