ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Carey Official Visits

Knowing we're behind right now, if we aren't that last official, I think it's safe to assume he definitely won't be coming here.

Knowing we're behind right now, if we aren't that last official, I think it's safe to assume he definitely won't be coming here.

Not a good sign that he has selected 4 definite visits and we may or may not be the 5th. But Coach Pike is never out of it.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
I would assume he could still take another unofficial visit to RU. He could be to RU in less than 45 minutes.

I would assume he could still take another unofficial visit to RU. He could be to RU in less than 45 minutes.

That is my thinking here too, rutgers and villanova aren't far destinations to where he would need an overnight all expenses paid trip

Reactions: RUShea
I think Syracuse and Villanova will be in the final 3 choices because of prior success in attracting top tier NJ/NY Metro guards.

I don't believe basketball is like football where an official visit is a must.

He's been to RU twice in the last 3 months...not having an official isn't a deal-breaker for either Villanova or RU, he likely hasn't been to Kansas or Miami for any length of time....if it was, he would have cut those schools from his list.

No but it does happen Russ. In fact it just happened recently.
I said seldom.

It's so rare that a kid actually takes his five official visits then commits to a school that he didn't take an OV to that I can't remember one who did off the top of my head. Especially a Top 100 kid.

It's not a big deal...Carey is in high demand and has been to RU recently enough on two visits....while getting an official would be nice, I tend to think he's aware of the aspects of RU, that I would not be alarmed if he doesn't take an official....I still think there is a lot of work to do for RU here, but glad we are in the mix.

yes, if we are struggling to be the fifth official visit, I would say our
chances are not very good.... I hope we get to be that final choice

I said seldom.

It's so rare that a kid actually takes his five official visits then commits to a school that he didn't take an OV to that I can't remember one who did off the top of my head. Especially a Top 100 kid.
Russ other than the fact that the school pays on officials does the recruit get the same treatment/experience on an unofficial. If going to dinner with coaches or other players who may be there on official visit does kid have to pay for his meal etc. thanx for your anticipated reply

Russ, that is correct. Cole Swider never took an official visit to Villanova. It just happened that's why I remembered it. I must admit my first thought was that it was very unusual.

While OV's are not the be all and end all, he's got us in his final 6. If the other 5 are official visits, that would be bad. I dont think there is any way to sugarcoat it.

While OV's are not the be all and end all, he's got us in his final 6. If the other 5 are official visits, that would be bad. I dont think there is any way to sugarcoat it.
---
the problem is that we are fighting for the 5th spot..... kinda lets us know where we stand against the other four he has lined up

it still can be done, but I would bet against a verbal here

Just an opinion, but I do not think Carey is going to the Banks. It is not for a lack of effort. Just wouldn't make sense for him to come here at the moment with a lot of guards on board. On top of that, not doing the last visit of placing the program as priority.

Biggest win? RU on a top 6 with a 4 star recruit. Just brand visibility is huge!

RAC is getting ready for liftoff. Good luck to Carey.

Reactions: jrh51
I like Carey, but in terms of another guard, I want Audre Hyatt for 2019. He would be an incredible addition. Summer 2019 is the opening of the practice center. We need to stay on this kid from the moment he visits next week.

Just very happy to have McClung and Mathis which both happened just a week ago....adding in potentially another big guard in Ron Harper .Jr. and there are only so many spots for targets that are really strong considerations for your school. Carey while unlikely, is going to be a battle and we just escaped with a huge win in recruiting with Mathis. If you can get a Harper to join up, where he can play the wing, that makes more sense and keeps McClung and Baker as your true playmakers.

The other variable that is also unlikely is Sanders staying for his senior season, but if that were to somehow happen, it would also soften the blow a bit as well.

Reactions: higgins3
I like Carey, but in terms of another guard, I want Audre Hyatt for 2019. He would be an incredible addition. Summer 2019 is the opening of the practice center. We need to stay on this kid from the moment he visits next week.

Hyatt is a forward not a guard

Just an opinion, but I do not think Carey is going to the Banks. It is not for a lack of effort. Just wouldn't make sense for him to come here at the moment with a lot of guards on board.
Unless they're thinking about attending a school with all-conference players at their position, studs like Carey don't worry about the makeup of the roster. They have the mindset that they are the best and no one is going to beat them out for playing time.

Unless they're thinking about attending a school with all-conference players at their position, studs like Carey don't worry about the makeup of the roster. They have the mindset that they are the best and no one is going to beat them out for playing time.

Quite to the contrary... those guys think about roster make up more. Especially point guards. You can see this now with the seemingly out of nowhere announcement of Quinerly. Frequently these top guys are given dates they need to make decisions by before they move on to their second PG target. Another example - rumor is Immanuel Quickly (Mathis's AAU teammate) has a clock on him before UK moves on to focusing on Garland and would not accept both commitments.

Reactions: higgins3

Hyatt is a forward not a guard
Right. Sweet jumper like a guard. Smooth.

How about Washington for 2018 and Hyatt, Massoud and Mulcahy for 2019?

Recruiting has changed. You see a lot of 4 star players going outside the blue bloods, and really examining where they are the best fit. I think it would be hard to establish credibility to student athletes when they are being recruited over,etc. The word gets around in the AAU scene I am sure.

I don't know if I would read it that way. He knows all about RU as he has visited us at least twice. we are also the closest school to him of the six remaining. Perhaps he just wants to use his 5 officials to the 5 that are farther away. I am not saying we will be his choice but I would not be surprised if Jalen did want to come to RU. Our staff has been on him for a long time.

Reactions: LC-88
I don't know if I would read it that way. He knows all about RU as he has visited us at least twice. we are also the closest school to him of the six remaining. Perhaps he just wants to use his 5 officials to the 5 that are farther away. I am not saying we will be his choice but I would not be surprised if Jalen did want to come to RU. Our staff has been on him for a long time.
No reason not to think we have a good chance--we have two 4* recruits already on board and another strong commit in McClung for '18, a solid core of returning players even assuming Sanders leaves, top-notch coaches, sparkling new facilities, an explosive home court advantage (when winning of course), great conference, great school, and all this parked in front of the media capital of the world. RU should be very much in the mix for him.

Reactions: RC85 and higgins3
Russ other than the fact that the school pays on officials does the recruit get the same treatment/experience on an unofficial. If going to dinner with coaches or other players who may be there on official visit does kid have to pay for his meal etc. thanx for your anticipated reply
Usually the recruit does not get the same experience.

Many official visits last just a few hours.

An official visit gives the staff more face time with the recruit and his parents. It also gives the recruit more time to spend with the guys who would be his future teammates (that is very valuable). I've seen itineraries of official visits and they are quite robust. Some schools, North Carolina is one of them, end the official visit with breakfast at the head coaches home. I'd imagine after two days on campus, going to the head coaches house with your family for breakfast with him, his wife, the lead assistant; would make it difficult not to at least give a silent verbal.

I've seen schools do what they call an official visit "Lite" where they try to cram almost all of the things they'd do on an official into an unofficial visit. Florida did this with Devon Dotson earlier this summer. Meetings with the coaches, S&C coach, nutritionist, team trainer, academic support person, the associate AD for basketball, tour of campus, tour of the student-athlete academic center, tour of the arena and practice facility. It was almost like an assembly line and pretty exhausting for all involved. Florida did that because they knew the family would only take one unofficial visit there and wanted to show as much as possible in hopes of getting an official visit while school is in session and Dotson and his parents can get a better feel for campus life.

Russ, that is correct. Cole Swider never took an official visit to Villanova. It just happened that's why I remembered it. I must admit my first thought was that it was very unusual.
It seldom goes down that a kid commits to a school he didn't take an OV to but it almost never happens when a kid takes an OV to five schools (which was my point) and commits to some other school.

Swider is an interesting kid. He was quoted as saying that Duke was his dream school, or something like that, and popped to Villanova. Jay Wright must have said the right thing to Swider to get him done. Good for him.

Quite to the contrary... those guys think about roster make up more. Especially point guards. You can see this now with the seemingly out of nowhere announcement of Quinerly. Frequently these top guys are given dates they need to make decisions by before they move on to their second PG target. Another example - rumor is Immanuel Quickly (Mathis's AAU teammate) has a clock on him before UK moves on to focusing on Garland and would not accept both commitments.
Quinerly's announcement was not out of nowhere though I can see why it looks that way. Four days before he announced I was told that he was going to Zona. Sean Miller was selling him, and other point guard targets on Arizona wanting to change their offense and play two point guards at the same time.

I was told that Quickley needed to commit to UK before August 1 or UK was moving on. That may have changed because he and Zion Williamson have been talking package deal.

Russ what I commented on was your initial statement which was; "if you don't get an official visit you seldom get a commitment"

Also I fail to see the difference weather a kid takes 3 ov's or 5 ov's. They take as many as they feel they need to. No matter the number of ov's that were taken most kids will commit to a school they visited on an ov.

And Nova had been involved with Cole Swider a lot longer than Duke who kind of swooped in when CS blew up over the summer. Since he had visited Nova multiple times unofficially due to their close proximity CS did not feel the need to use an ov to visit Nova again prior to making his commitment.

Russ what I commented on was your initial statement which was; "if you don't get an official visit you seldom get a commitment"
Yes, and that is true. If you don't get an official visit you seldom get a commitment. The fact that Villanova got a commitment without an official visit does not change the fact that it seldom happens.

Russ, your opinion on Ron Harper Jr.?
I've never watched Ron Harper Jr.

Ring City played in Orlando the final live period of July but I did not watch any of their games.

I heard he played very well at the Victor Oladipo skills camp at DeMatha during the 2nd live period. I've heard he has a funky-looking shot but he gets it to go in

ADVERTISEMENT