ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Miller

Just about every true freshman guard in the Pikiell era has played a role as a true frosh. From Geo to Mulcahy. I would expect the same from Jalen Miller.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
What can we expect from him next season?
I like his game. Seems to have a good handle, is reasonably quick, passes well, and shoots pretty good, but I especially like the fact that he can finish with either hand around the basket, as he seems to be ambidexterous. Looks like he dribbles primarily with his left hand, but his jump shots are right-handed. And while they don't show defense in videos, I like his comment that Pikiell "loves his defense." I think he could end up being pretty good.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2020/8/1...s-to-rutgers-basketball-steve-pikiell-big-ten

If Pike likes his defense I think he may be the guard that provides backcourt pressure.... "Jacob Young Light"......until he matures.

One thing people are forgetting about this year's freshmen is the fact that they did not have summer training with the rest of the team which is crucial in developing new players. Cliff, who is our highest regarded recruit in a long time, would even be a lot better now if he had that. I think Mag, Reiber, and Palmquist will be decent players in the long run. They just didnt have a chance to develop this year.

Last edited:
I’m a big Pike fan but I will be taking everything he says about recruits or freshmen with a grain of salt.
Would you prefer him to say “ this year’s Freshman are really bad. I screwed up, but all of my top targets turned me down. I need someone to fill out my roster. I will try to do better, but Miller and Jones kind of stink too.”

One thong people are forgetting about this year's freshmen is the fact that they did not have summer training with the rest of the team which is crucial in developing new players. Cliff, who is our highest regarded recruit in a long time, would even be a lot better now if he had that. I think Mag, Reiber, and Palmquist will be decent players in the long run. They just didnt have a chance to develop this year.
This!

people are insufferable. They want things to be great immediately, and they think reasons why they are not are “excuses”instead of considering that it could be reality. There was no OOC schedule or the normal offseason. pike has proven himself to be the best coach we’ve had here in 30 years and still the “couch experts” seem to really think they know better. Insane.

Lol, i really dont think people realize how elite of a defender jacob young is. From a defensive perspective, hes NBA good as an on ball defender

This is 3/4 true ...he is a NBA good on the ball defender until about 16-18 feet. When and if his defender gets him that far in, he has some struggles on then using his body and positioning to prevent guys from getting to the basket. With his quicks ...He could eventually learn how to draw a LOT of charges

when and if he figures that it out ...he will be the full defense package

This!

people are insufferable. They want things to be great immediately, and they think reasons why they are not are “excuses”instead of considering that it could be reality. There was no OOC schedule or the normal offseason. pike has proven himself to be the best coach we’ve had here in 30 years and still the “couch experts” seem to really think they know better. Insane.
There are teams whose freshmen come in and contribute in at least some small way right away, and don’t look like a deer in the headlights. I’m OK with this year’s newest players and them being used sparingly knowing that Pikiell and Rutgers need to make the NCAAs in the worst way.

There are teams whose freshmen come in and contribute in at least some small way right away, and don’t look like a deer in the headlights. I’m OK with this year’s newest players and them being used sparingly knowing that Pikiell and Rutgers need to make the NCAAs in the worst way.
Sure. No doubt. But we are a developmental program and will be for quite some time. We don’t regularly yet high four stars or five stars.

Some of the freshmen will probably pan out eventually, but they are all definitely developmental projects. We didn't have an OOC slate of games to get the freshmen ready for the games that matter, and we have a very deep team that limits their opportunities. Generally that's a good thing. But it also means the developmental projects will be developing slower than normal, so I'm not expecting too much from them next year either.

Who knows what the depth chart will look like?

ON a separate note...aren’t coaches going to be in a tough situation over the next 4 years planning recruitment with never knowing who is playing extra year. Aren’t some going to have to make tough decisions to tell kids there isn’t a scholarships spot.

what happens if all Rutgers players come back (a great problem)

Would you prefer him to say “ this year’s Freshman are really bad. I screwed up, but all of my top targets turned me down. I need someone to fill out my roster. I will try to do better, but Miller and Jones kind of stink too.”
No, he can say what he thinks he needs to. But c’mon, saying this year’s freshman class is the best he’s ever had? I like the guy but no one is less than great as he tells it.

Reactions: RUby RED and kcg88
One thing people are forgetting about this year's freshmen is the fact that they did not have summer training with the rest of the team which is crucial in developing new players. Cliff, who is our highest regarded recruit in a long time, would even be a lot better now if he had that. I think Mag, Reiber, and Palmquist will be decent players in the long run. They just didnt have a chance to develop this year.

Palmquist has had plenty of time in the room to develop. He certainly had a chance to develop last season, when he was here for the second semester.

Sure Mags & Reiber didn't have the time necessary, but to be blunt, I would've expected Palmquist with his head start to be doing better than the other two, and that hasn't really been the case.

This ain’t your fathers rutgers anymore where we were desperate for freshmen to not only play but contribute.
My son's father's Rutgers won 20+ games every year, went to the dance and NIT each year. Sweet 16 and 1 shot away from elite 8.
But my son is 29 and I am 62 lol.

Reactions: runner3283
Who knows what the depth chart will look like?

ON a separate note...aren’t coaches going to be in a tough situation over the next 4 years planning recruitment with never knowing who is playing extra year. Aren’t some going to have to make tough decisions to tell kids there isn’t a scholarships spot.

what happens if all Rutgers players come back (a great problem)
Coaches have say who can come back....but I'd love them all to !!

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Palmquist has had plenty of time in the room to develop. He certainly had a chance to develop last season, when he was here for the second semester.

Sure Mags & Reiber didn't have the time necessary, but to be blunt, I would've expected Palmquist with his head start to be doing better than the other two, and that hasn't really been the case.
Time will tell. This is a tough league. Expecting freshman to come in and make a difference on a veteran team is a bit unrealistic

This ain’t your fathers rutgers anymore where we were desperate for freshmen to not only play but contribute.

The hope is that "this ain't your fathers recruiting anymore" where freshman take 2-3 years to break into the lineup.

This isn't football.
Freshman come in and are productive regularly.

As the program status increases, recruiting should be increasing so we are getting better players than those currently on the roster and playing.

The hope is that "this ain't your fathers recruiting anymore" where freshman take 2-3 years to break into the lineup.

This isn't football.
Freshman come in and are productive regularly.

As the program status increases, recruiting should be increasing so we are getting better players than those currently on the roster and playing.
However, our status hasn't changed yet. The current players need to finish the deal, gain some wins and cred so Pike can build off of it. It's still unrealistic at this point to expect our current freshmen to come in and produce major results on a team with the depth we have.

Reactions: NickRU714
What we need from him is a decent handle and (even more) good D against small quick guards.

ADVERTISEMENT