ADVERTISEMENT

J'den Cox joining NJRTC?? 😲 SKWC split from NJRTC

Leonard23

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006

Can anyone confirm? This is huge, if it happens. Is he replacing anyone?

If true I rescind my request for an upper weight coach on staff. Get another SKWC upper weight guy coupled with this move and we're all good up there.

giphy.gif

Edit: I guess this really does nothing for us. Still need an upperweight guy via SKWC or coaching staff.

Last edited:
This might be the biggest news yet. This is absolutely HUGE and says a lot where the Ohio State program is going.

I hope he's around here a lot as the rumors were that he almost never showed at the Ohio RTC to train.

Am I the only one wondering if Rutgers is even involved with NJRTC? I don’t see RU mentioning NJRTC nor do I see NJRTC mentioning RU guys. I don’t remember seeing an announcement but I have been wondering for weeks if the relationship was still intact.

Can someone give me a college football comparison as to what this means for the Rutgers current wrestlers and recruiting ? Thanks

Reactions: gogs7
Am I the only one wondering if Rutgers is even involved with NJRTC? I don’t see RU mentioning NJRTC nor do I see NJRTC mentioning RU guys. I don’t remember seeing an announcement but I have been wondering for weeks if the relationship was still intact.
Good point. It does sort of seem like a Princeton thing based on last freestyle tournament they went to.

Mineo and the NJRTC Twitter just confirmed our thoughts. Rutgers has nothing to do with NJRTC now. I was really hoping Cox would work out with our upper weights.

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23

We still work out a great deal with the NJRTC guys.

Mineo and the NJRTC Twitter just confirmed our thoughts. Rutgers has nothing to do with NJRTC now. I was really hoping Cox would work out with our upper weights.

Makes sense. NJRTC was always more of a Princeton boost anyway.
Ok, someone dish on the split. I know we haven't been happy since the Humphrey/Suriano incident, and even before then thought that NJRTC was always more Princeton focused and helped Princeton more than SKWC (likely because Princeton may have provided more funding). Are we still working out with NJRTC athletes after the official split? They should've agreed to drop the NJRTC name and just use PWC.

Last edited:
Humphries was a damn Benedict Arnold. The reasoning behind building the NJRTC was for both RU and Princeton, not for Princeton to kick RU out once established. I'm starting to hate Princeton as much as PSU now.
😲Did Princeton kick us out or did we leave? I need details, 😂

I don't quite understand the SKWC; the coaches are the same as the Rutgers staff. The NJRTC is easier to appreciate with several very accomplished wrestlers on staff. However, their website still shows three Rutgers coaches. The excitement from Cox joining the NJRTC seems far outweighed by the excluding of Rutgers. Is this another organizational failure?

I am so fkng confused

This feels like a thread celebrating another team's recruit but I am supposed to be happy about it cause in some weird way it helps us?

Help ... please...

J'den Cox to join NJRTC​

Earl Smith, Site Editor
5/22/2021
earl@intermatwrestle.com

jdencoxnjrtc740.jpg
Two-time World Champion J'den Cox (Photo/Tony Rotundo; WrestlersAreWarriors.com)
The New Jersey Regional Training Center (NJRTC) announced the addition of two-time world champion J'den Cox as a part-time resident athlete. Cox will continue to split his time training between New Jersey and the Olympic/Paralympic Training Center. Previously Cox was supposed to have a similar training arrangement with Ohio State's Ohio RTC; however, due to the pandemic, Cox did not travel away from Colorado Springs often for training.

Cox has won the last two world championships at 92 kg, but had to go up to 97 kg (or drop to 86 kg) during the Olympic year. Confusion between J'den's camp at the Olympic Trials saw him weigh-in after the allotted time and he was not allowed to compete at the Trials. The fallout from the Trials saga saw Cox state that he would go 92 kg for the World Team Trials in 2021 and 97 kg in the future (If Kyle Snyder wins an Olympic medal, he has dibs on the 97 kg world team spot).

The NJRTC will be even deeper at its upperweights as Nate Jackson has recently established himself as one of the top contenders at this weight domestically. Jackson won Senior Nationals at 92kg and outscored his competition 28-1 along the way.

Other news related to the NJRTC is that they have split from Rutgers' Scarlet Knights Wrestling Club. Previously both schools were under the NJRTC name.

J'den Cox to join NJRTC​

Earl Smith, Site Editor
5/22/2021
earl@intermatwrestle.com

jdencoxnjrtc740.jpg
Two-time World Champion J'den Cox (Photo/Tony Rotundo; WrestlersAreWarriors.com)
The New Jersey Regional Training Center (NJRTC) announced the addition of two-time world champion J'den Cox as a part-time resident athlete. Cox will continue to split his time training between New Jersey and the Olympic/Paralympic Training Center. Previously Cox was supposed to have a similar training arrangement with Ohio State's Ohio RTC; however, due to the pandemic, Cox did not travel away from Colorado Springs often for training.

Cox has won the last two world championships at 92 kg, but had to go up to 97 kg (or drop to 86 kg) during the Olympic year. Confusion between J'den's camp at the Olympic Trials saw him weigh-in after the allotted time and he was not allowed to compete at the Trials. The fallout from the Trials saga saw Cox state that he would go 92 kg for the World Team Trials in 2021 and 97 kg in the future (If Kyle Snyder wins an Olympic medal, he has dibs on the 97 kg world team spot).

The NJRTC will be even deeper at its upperweights as Nate Jackson has recently established himself as one of the top contenders at this weight domestically. Jackson won Senior Nationals at 92kg and outscored his competition 28-1 along the way.

Other news related to the NJRTC is that they have split from Rutgers' Scarlet Knights Wrestling Club. Previously both schools were under the NJRTC name.
They should change their name to the Princeton Regional Training Central. I hope we whip Princeton's asses next season.

I am so fkng confused

This feels like a thread celebrating another team's recruit but I am supposed to be happy about it cause in some weird way it helps us?

Help ... please...
We weren't aware SKWC split from NJRTC so we were initially happy with Cox joining NJRTC. Now we're trying to find out what's going on and why they split but no one will talk.

I am so fkng confused

Help ... please...
Yea it's why I edited my post. I had no idea we pulled out or were kicked out of that Regional training partnership. This move does absolutely nothing for us and this will probably be the last you'll hear about that training center on here. As this is the 1st many of us have heard about this move. Now I could give two sh*ts who they get or what they do.

Goodale was retweeting the Cox news so I’m also confused

Willie and the other dude on his podcast said there is no bad blood between Rutgers and Princeton. According to them it was mostly about wanting to keep each other's funding/money separate instead of continuing to co-mingle it together. Mentioned Rutgers guys will still have access and opportunities to workout there from time to time. Not sure how well sourced Willie's partner is here, but he did make it seem like it was a somewhat mutual decision.

Willie and the other dude on his podcast said there is no bad blood between Rutgers and Princeton. According to them it was mostly about wanting to keep each other's funding/money separate instead of continuing to co-mingle it together. Mentioned Rutgers guys will still have access and opportunities to workout there from time to time. Not sure how well sourced Willie's partner is here, but he did make it seem like it was a somewhat mutual decision.
It sounds reasonable but I think Njrtc and Skwc should each have their own wrestling coach. If you want to keep it separate don’t share Reece Humphrey. Nothing against him but I would love it if they were able to land someone else.

"opportunities to workout there from time to time". Aside from those opportunities to work out from time to time, what is Rutgers left with?

Corby is a well connected guy who now lives in NJ - he's talked about Rutgers before on the podcast and seems to know them well.

No matter how good they get, they'll always be the little brother to RU. Nobody really cares about Princeton. Their gym sucks, they have like 30 fans and B10 is just way more exciting.

What Willie and Corby said on the show is how things are currently. Message board warriors can say whatever they want but thats the current landscape.

Maybe New York City files papers to become a suburb of Princeton. They always wanted that Ivy League feeling!

How do RTC's work?
Can our athletes work out at NYCRTC if they wanted to?
Or how about Penn RTC?
Do you have to book time at the RTC?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT