ADVERTISEMENT

Jersey Mike's vs Subway

Subway is flat out terrible. Why would anyone ever go there when NJ has so many delis and sub shops.

Id go with Just Subs in Hillsborough and I think they have 4 or 5 other locations throughout Central Jersey

Subway has got to be the worst sub chain in America. I have no idea how they got to be so popular.

Chipotle Chicken Cheesesteak at Jersey Mikes is probably the best cheesesteak I've ever had.

There really is no discussion. First: Subway is terrible. When you look at their stuff in the trays is just looks awful, and tastes as bad. I don't care how many BOGOs they offer.

We've got Jersey Mike's in Florida and they'd be perfect if they knew extra oil and vinegar.

Of course, nothing compares to a neighborhood deli. I have to go. Now I'm hungry.

Is Tastee Sub still on 27?
Unfortunately they closed about a year ago but they do have other locations.

Glad to hear I was wrong about this. Could have sworn it was closed up the last few times I drove by.

Last edited:
Oddly enough I stopped at the local Jersey Mike's after a late stay at work and munching on a Giant #13 Mike's Way while reading this board. Eat half tonight and save the other half for breakfast.

Reactions: ruhudsonfan

To be fair, the Franklin Park location is on 27 and is still open.

I would put Tastee and Just Subs on the same level of quality. Just Subs probably gets my number one spot due to some other things they do well such as speciality subs and cheeses.

Joe's Meat Market in South Bound Brook also gets a big plus in my book, but they are a different type if sub then the other 2.

Reactions: JPWRU
Both are awful. Jersey Mike's is slightly less awful.

Can't believe you guys in Jersey would actually eat at either of those places.

Reactions: kaiaamt
Is Tastee Sub still on 27?
There's one located on 206 in Lawrence Twp close to Rider Univ. - meh...
I never liked their offerings at any of their locations - can't believe people in N.B. would ride out to Edison when we had MV Deli on Easton Ave with double the meat and for half the price.

jersey mikes is insanely good
I just ate there tonight in So Cal. The quality and taste always reminded me of really good sub shops in NJ. Subway, tastes almost artificial/corporate compared to Jersey Mike's.

jersey mikes is insanely good
I would agree - compared to Subway, Jersey Mike's is far and away better in every way.
I don't have one close by in Central Jersey, but while in CA this past summer I found there were easily five within 10 minutes drive in Huntington Beach area.
I know this because we went to an Angels game, they scored 10 runs, and we all got a free Jersey Mike's the next day with ticket stub.

Tastee Subs wins for me. Honestly, get so disappointed when I'm back here left without any real options that compare even reasonably well.
Tastee Subs was a main staple for me on weekends.

Not a very good thread title... It's sort of like saying Steak vs Dog Food, or Milkshake vs Sour Cream, or Saban vs Flood, or ...

You are free to start a thread of you own....guess what you can pick your own title! Good luck.

But if you wants my answers

Steak
Sour cream
Neither

Completely agree. Jersey Mike's is a step above Subway, but miles behind many local pizzerias, delis, and sub shops.

It is like trying to figure out who makes the best pizza and only naming national chains.

Subway is disgusting so anything will be better than that.

I like Quick Chek's tuna subs. Better than taste and just subs imo. Subway is is fairly pedestrian. Not terrible but nothing to write home about

Mike Subs is by far the worst sub, even behind subway where I am in NJ. Three slices of meat and two slices of cheese pilled high with lettuce is hardly a sub!

Subway is flat out terrible. Why would anyone ever go there when NJ has so many delis and sub shops.

Id go with Just Subs in Hillsborough and I think they have 4 or 5 other locations throughout Central Jersey

Agreed. But I said the same thing about Dominos and Pizza Hut and was proven wrong by NJ residents.

In my opinion, the two best national chain sub shops are Jersey Mike's (Point Pleasant) and Blimpie (Hoboken).

I only see kids, sometimes millenials at Subway. I just figured they never tasted a real sub.

Cali -- Next time tell tehm your a Rutgers Guy and get extra oil and vinegar.

Wawa is the best. They are so high tech that you just tell the machine what you want and it's done.
You do have to know how to use technology otherwise it can be frustrating.

Reactions: ctnova99
Gave up on Subway about 5 years ago, but gotta admit I've never tried anything from Jersey Mike's.

There's one a short hop from me on RT. 18 in East Brunswick, and based on some of the positive comments in this thread, I just might have to give that puppy a try. [thumb2]

Last edited:
EVERYTHING in NJ is better than other places elsewhere. Especially better than the chains. Think Jersey Pizza,subs and Chinese food.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT