ADVERTISEMENT

Jersey Shore League?

pnbsoup22

Freshman
Sep 26, 2007
I recently spoke to a player and he stated that the Jersey Shore Basketball will be around again this summer. I did some searching yesterday and could not find anything? Does anyone know if the Jersey Shore League is happening this year? Any Rutgers players playing?

Thanks

pnbsoup22

I am not aware of anything going on with a summer league as far as the RU guys go.

Now that the NCAA allows team practices for a few hours a week during the summer, it's made those summer leagues tougher to fill up.

Watch the Asbury Park Press Sports section they'll often have something but info on this league is typically last minute.

I know they moved the league from St. Rose HS in Belmar to Wall Twp.HS which has an air conditioned gym.
I believe they made this move last year.

I often drove to St. Rose looking forward to seeing our guys play. After a while I thought maybe it was useless as almost everyone played no defense at all. Often I thought a player had improved quite a bit only to be disappointed when the real games began. Now I wonder did the games help us or hurt us.

Like watching an all star game. Tons of points. But if you need a hoops fix in July it is your only hope besides New York.My brother played in the league in the 60"s when it was serious business with serious talent outdoors.

Yes, in Old Bridge I believe at the Birch Inn or something like that on Route 9.
Art, it was Birch Hill. In the late 80s, when I was a sports writer for The Daily Journal, I went there a few times because some players from our coverage area played in the league. One night, I was sitting in the bleachers watching a game and Rik Smits, all 7-foot-4 of him, sat next to me. He was scheduled to play in the next game. I remember him asking me to watch his gym bag while he went back to his car to get a different pair of sneakers.

Yes Birch Hill. I think I only went there twice but there were some NBA players in the league at that time.

When I think of the "outdoor" JSBL the Headliner comes to mind first.

And I am surprised nobody from the Belmar machine has "suggested" St. Rose make a play for the league to come back.

Spoke to Rick Dadika at his daughter's game tonight. Incidentally she is as tall as he is. Soph at Spotswood.
Says Jake is playing in a pretty good league in West Windsor at the Windsor athletic center and his younger son is playing for Hurley at Rhodey.

I saw Hinson play in the league at the Headliner I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT