ADVERTISEMENT

Jerzey's post match analysis... UNC

jerzey devil

All American
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2004
Seems to me that the word for last night among some of the Scarlet faithful is "disappointing"...
And yes I can see that viewpoint.. If ya showed up expecting RU to hammer UNC last night.. THen ya would be goin home disappointed by last nights result... But I for one am not disappointed.. I'm hopeful.. Yet realistic..I expected a tough gritty match coming down to the wire.. (witch is exactly what we got)...I also chewed on some things today during work.. ANd here's what I came up with...

1..We're ranked where we should be as a dual meet team...
2.. Most important ...For the first time in Goodale's tenure... I think we're a better tournament team than dual team..( with Ashnault in lineup it would validate this even more)
3.. We we're not at our best vs a top 25 team.. But still won the meet...Yes I know Ramos didn't wrestle.. But neither did Ashnault.. And we had some guys not bring their A game...Yet still did just enough to pull out a W.. So now onto the individual performance recaps..

125.. Saw a lil change with NS as he worked to turn his guy instead of building a lead... Kept the score closer and hurt his chances for a tech...Against a kid like this I think Nicky would be better served getting a few TD's to break the kids spirit.. Then the turns come a lil easier... But again.. hard to knock him as he is relentless and pretty flawless in his techniques...

133.. Delvecchio... Yeah.. the collective gasp at the end of 2nd period...(myself included) being down 2-1 with Sheramn going down to start 3rd... But Scotty showed something he hasn't been good at vs top 20 kids.. ability to not only ride on top.. But score from it!! 4 pt tilt really turned the momentum... Then to be able to ride out to finish the match really gives him some confidence!!

141..MVB.. Exactly how I hoped the match would play out...Headlee is the better wrestler overall.. If they meet later in the season, its a totally different match.. But last night was was perfect example of catching a nationally ranked wrestler at the right time.. Headlee got out to the early lead.. But showed his rust in some early cautions.. and the stall warning.. Also saw the difference between being in shape.. and being in wrestling shape.. No amount of drilling can prepare you for actually being in a 7 minute match after a layoff...MVB kept his cool.. kept pressure on, and was able to tire out Headlee causing him to make some mistakes which MVB took advantage of!! This match is why I want to see AA get a 6th year!!

149..DeLuca.. Again the match went the way I thought.. Low scoring with the winner being the one who could score a takedown.. I've watched Heilman for years at SP.. He is not an easy one to score on... He might be one of the best NJ wrestlers to never win a state title... It wasn't lack of effort on ED's part as he tried to find openings...I know there's no such thing as a good loss.. But this doesn't hurt him either...

157.. JVB.. Like I said last time.. live by the sword.. Die by the sword with him... As much as I want to say it was "disappointing" I really cant.. He is who he is.. And he gets after it.. But his key to winning was to avoid getting in scrambles, and being being flawless in his technique... Not JVB attributes at all.. JVB's gameplan fit perfectly into what Monday wanted to do... This was a bad matchup for JVB.. And I realized it pretty early on that JVB was in trouble...If there is a knock.. ITs to know the situation in a dual meet as 4th year wrestler in the program... (2 yrs ago at Minnesota with Ashnault illustrates my point on this) JVB can beat a lot of kids that beat Monday.. But will have a hard time beating this kid more than 2 off 10 times..

165.. Lewis.. Typical Lewis match... Better on his feet.. still growing into the weight..(not an easy thing to do during season) Was able to get a major for the team.. really want to see how he matches up with upper tier of B1G wrestlers...

174.. Grello.. Part of being a frosh.. But gotta finish for 4!! get the major!! Other than that.. cant fault him much for his performance last night.. We needed a win from him and got it..

184.. Gravina.. Really not sure what to say here.. Just how healthy, or how limited is he.. Obviously cleared to wrestle.. But just how effective is he? I love Gravina's heart.. But that shoulder.... Still gotta find a way to get the W....3rd year as starter... gotta close the match out right then and there...

197.. Mulligan.. Difference between a Sr. vs a Fr. was never more evident than last night.. Mulligan has the talent to compete.. But he is not nearly strong enough to keep matches closer right now.. It wasn't a lack of effort.. Hell, I think some were really down on Correnti at this time last year... Each match is a learning experience for him.. Really needs to get a lot stronger at this weight.. A LOT STRONGER!!

285.. Gross.. Being a 5'11 at this weight class is a huge disadvantage... But also knowing that all he had to do was keep the score close could have played into this a lil bit.. Pretty evenly matched vs UNC kid.. And he did what was needed for the team.. never put himself in trouble...

All in all.. Even Goodale saw a 5-5 split... So to think we would crush them is just unrealistic... Like I said.. we are a better tourney team than dual team...(Midlands case in point.. placed all 10 2 yrs ago.. yet scored more points placing 5 this year) OMG I made a NewJerseyHawk post!!! lol If y'all want me to continue these than say so.. If not.. let me know also...have a good night and go RU!!

It’s a shame that we not only lost Ashnault this season but to also have Gravina so injured. Hopefully one , if not both return. Is Gravina eligible to apply to come back?

Seems to me that the word for last night among some of the Scarlet faithful is "disappointing"...
And yes I can see that viewpoint.. If ya showed up expecting RU to hammer UNC last night.. THen ya would be goin home disappointed by last nights result... But I for one am not disappointed.. I'm hopeful.. Yet realistic..I expected a tough gritty match coming down to the wire.. (witch is exactly what we got)...I also chewed on some things today during work.. ANd here's what I came up with...

2.. Most important ...For the first time in Goodale's tenure... I think we're a better tournament team than dual team..( with Ashnault in lineup it would validate this even more)
3.. We we're not at our best vs a top 25 team.. But still won the meet...Yes I know Ramos didn't wrestle.. But neither did Ashnault.. And we had some guys not bring their A game...Yet still did just enough to pull out a W.. So now onto the individual performance recaps..

125.. Saw a lil change with NS as he worked to turn his guy instead of building a lead... Kept the score closer and hurt his chances for a tech...Against a kid like this I think Nicky would be better served getting a few TD's to break the kids spirit.. Then the turns come a lil easier... But again.. hard to knock him as he is relentless and pretty flawless in his techniques...

133.. Delvecchio... Yeah.. the collective gasp at the end of 2nd period...(myself included) being down 2-1 with Sheramn going down to start 3rd... But Scotty showed something he hasn't been good at vs top 20 kids.. ability to not only ride on top.. But score from it!! 4 pt tilt really turned the momentum... Then to be able to ride out to finish the match really gives him some confidence!!

141..MVB.. Exactly how I hoped the match would play out...Headlee is the better wrestler overall.. If they meet later in the season, its a totally different match.. But last night was was perfect example of catching a nationally ranked wrestler at the right time.. Headlee got out to the early lead.. But showed his rust in some early cautions.. and the stall warning.. Also saw the difference between being in shape.. and being in wrestling shape.. No amount of drilling can prepare you for actually being in a 7 minute match after a layoff...MVB kept his cool.. kept pressure on, and was able to tire out Headlee causing him to make some mistakes which MVB took advantage of!! This match is why I want to see AA get a 6th year!!

149..DeLuca.. Again the match went the way I thought.. Low scoring with the winner being the one who could score a takedown.. I've watched Heilman for years at SP.. He is not an easy one to score on... He might be one of the best NJ wrestlers to never win a state title... It wasn't lack of effort on ED's part as he tried to find openings...I know there's no such thing as a good loss.. But this doesn't hurt him either...

157.. JVB.. Like I said last time.. live by the sword.. Die by the sword with him... As much as I want to say it was "disappointing" I really cant.. He is who he is.. And he gets after it.. But his key to winning was to avoid getting in scrambles, and being being flawless in his technique... Not JVB attributes at all.. JVB's gameplan fit perfectly into what Monday wanted to do... This was a bad matchup for JVB.. And I realized it pretty early on that JVB was in trouble...If there is a knock.. ITs to know the situation in a dual meet as 4th year wrestler in the program... (2 yrs ago at Minnesota with Ashnault illustrates my point on this) JVB can beat a lot of kids that beat Monday.. But will have a hard time beating this kid more than 2 off 10 times..

165.. Lewis.. Typical Lewis match... Better on his feet.. still growing into the weight..(not an easy thing to do during season) Was able to get a major for the team.. really want to see how he matches up with upper tier of B1G wrestlers...

174.. Grello.. Part of being a frosh.. But gotta finish for 4!! get the major!! Other than that.. cant fault him much for his performance last night.. We needed a win from him and got it..

184.. Gravina.. Really not sure what to say here.. Just how healthy, or how limited is he.. Obviously cleared to wrestle.. But just how effective is he? I love Gravina's heart.. But that shoulder.... Still gotta find a way to get the W....3rd year as starter... gotta close the match out right then and there...

197.. Mulligan.. Difference between a Sr. vs a Fr. was never more evident than last night.. Mulligan has the talent to compete.. But he is not nearly strong enough to keep matches closer right now.. It wasn't a lack of effort.. Hell, I think some were really down on Correnti at this time last year... Each match is a learning experience for him.. Really needs to get a lot stronger at this weight.. A LOT STRONGER!!

285.. Gross.. Being a 5'11 at this weight class is a huge disadvantage... But also knowing that all he had to do was keep the score close could have played into this a lil bit.. Pretty evenly matched vs UNC kid.. And he did what was needed for the team.. never put himself in trouble...

All in all.. Even Goodale saw a 5-5 split... So to think we would crush them is just unrealistic... Like I said.. we are a better tourney team than dual team...(Midlands case in point.. placed all 10 2 yrs ago.. yet scored more points placing 5 this year) OMG I made a NewJerseyHawk post!!! lol If y'all want me to continue these than say so.. If not.. let me know also...have a good night and go RU!!
Agree 100 percent. Very good recap and analysis.

The only question I have is I am not getting your 157 analysis and Ashnault’s match at Minnesota. Are you referring to his match against Thron?

The only question I have is I am not getting your 157 analysis and Ashnault’s match at Minnesota. Are you referring to his match against Thron?

Yes...the last 20 seconds of so Ashnault down 7 was actually wrestling like he was up a point...

I somewhat agree with most of it ..I feel tho that when we know we are gonna be in a dogfight our hammers gotta max out the points which I feel Nick and Richie did not do ...and the mindset from the coaches does not seem to reflect the need for bonus points either....both should have teched ..when MVB won which was a major plus I think we lost focus in a few later matches ..Gravina ...not sure what’s goin on there with the shoulder and Mulligan didn’t seem motivated at all ...it seems we have a few guys who tho are really good they seem to wrestle down to their opponents ...we shoulda won ...we got lucky to do just that...

ADVERTISEMENT