ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Delany says B1G winner should not be in Playoffs

Pretty sure he meant that winning the B1G shouldn't be the primary determining factor for who represents the conference in the playoff. He's aware that a team could win the conference and be 9-3 by losing their OOC games, and a team that went 10-1 could be left out by losing by 1 point to the conference champ. The college system is different than the pros because it allows much more subjectivity, which is partly what makes college football so much fun.

Delaney is an idoit......Michigan is a 2-loss conference team! Did you forget that both teams that beat them were not division champions. Just because you blow out all the competition doesn't mean you are the best.

Pretty sure he meant that winning the B1G shouldn't be the primary determining factor for who represents the conference in the playoff. He's aware that a team could win the conference and be 9-3 by losing their OOC games, and a team that went 10-1 could be left out by losing by 1 point to the conference champ. The college system is different than the pros because it allows much more subjectivity, which is partly what makes college football so much fun.

Michigan is not even close to fitting either of these options and suggestion Michigan deserves to be considered over PSU is insane.

Delaney is an idoit......Michigan is a 2-loss conference team! Did you forget that both teams that beat them were not division champions. Just because you blow out all the competition doesn't mean you are the best.
Pretty sure you should re-phrase this, because this is exactly what makes someone the best.

Sorry, you have no leg to stand on against UM. At best, your records will be the same (2 losses) and UM crushed PSU head to head. The selection committee takes the 4 best teams. How can it be argued that a team with the same record that got blown-out by another is actually better?

Regardless, talking about the 2 B1G team in the CFP is a waste of time if Clemson wins. Three spots are already locked up - Bama, OSU, and UW. Clemson is #4 if they win.

If Clemson loses and PSU wins I think they give PSU the 4th spot.

LOL......don't worry. It's Wisconsin's problem after tonight.

Maybe I missed it. I was 1/2 watching that segment when it was on, but I don't think that's what he said. He said he fought for 4 best conference champions at one time 4 years ago but that ship has sailed and now it's the 4 best teams and everything should be taken into account. So who you play, who you beat, who you play OOC and beat and conference champions....basically everything taken into account. He said while he may not agree with committee at times here or there, he felt they would do what they felt was in the best interest of college football. I didn't hear him explicitly say anything with regards to B10 winner being in or out.

This tells me two things:

It's not a round table. Which most of us knew already.

Michigan will not be playing any Friday night games anytime soon. Unless they want to.

0% chance.
UM beat them 49-10 (and it wasn't even that close). Same record. How do you argue that PSU is better then UM?
You argue it by putting more weight behind a conference championship than a singular head to head meeting.

Not saying I agree, just how it can be argued.

Personally, I hate the subjectivity involved in picking the 4 teams, though it's light years better than the 2 teams of the BCS era. Just go to 8, P5 conference champs automatically qualify, top ranked group of 5 is in, and 2 at large wild cards.

Reactions: RU62
It's Delany, not Delaney. The least we can do for the guy who saved this program from UConn Hades.

Great point, Doctor Worm, I fully agree. Thanks for spotting this, it has now been corrected.

... but that Michigan needs to be considered. PSU crowd is going nuts on BWI, lol....
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/delaney-says-b1g-winner-should-not-be-in.158620/

I agree with Delaney in terms of the merits of the respective teams, after all Michigan did beat both teams, PSU handily, but must say that I'm still really surprised that he said that.

I must've missed that. What I heard was him saying that four years ago he pushed that only conference champions should make the playoffs, but he lost the vote. Now being a conference champion is only a factor because, among other reasons, "there are ten conferences".

PSU fans need to calm down. They've had a great year. They look to be closing strong in recruiting this year and look very good re 2018. Losing 58-3 to Alabama ain't gonna help them moving forward. Beating, say an Auburn in a new years bowl is nothing to sneeze at. To quote GS, it's a process.

Pretty funny because the existence of a conference championship is what he used as a criteria for getting OSU in during the 2014 debate.

OSU should be in...no question. If we take care of business today and Clemson loses then UM should not be in. They've lost 2/3 and haven't done jack for almost two months. Meanwhile, we are arguably the most improved team in the nation.

Reactions: MikeRU09
Michigan is not even close to fitting either of these options and suggestion Michigan deserves to be considered over PSU is insane.
I wouldn't say it's "insane," since UM beat PSU handily. If you're arguing that a two-loss B1G team shouldn't be considered at all, that's a different argument. But if two B1G teams were to get in, tOSU is one and then UM, PSU or Wisky would be the other. If Wisky wins tonight, a case could be made for them, too. But given UM's thrashing of PSU, it's not insane for anyone, including Delany, to argue that UM deserves to be the 4th team if the committee wanted it. I personally hope they don't get in.

Sorry, you have no leg to stand on against UM. At best, your records will be the same (2 losses) and UM crushed PSU head to head. The selection committee takes the 4 best teams. How can it be argued that a team with the same record that got blown-out by another is actually better?
Maybe some of these guys were on the mens lax selection committee too earlier this year. We beat Hopkins twice.

No to Michigan. They should no get in no matter what happens today.

Pretty funny because the existence of a conference championship is what he used as a criteria for getting OSU in during the 2014 debate.

OSU should be in...no question. If we take care of business today and Clemson loses then UM should not be in. They've lost 2/3 and haven't done jack for almost two months. Meanwhile, we are arguably the most improved team in the nation.

I honestly do not know what the point of conference championship games are anymore...this shit was bound to happen. It never bothered me before because it has been the best 4 out of the 5 conference champions so far...so in my mind the playoffs started this week with 8 teams (9 with the Big 12 winner)...now it's officially fallen apart.

Bottom line, if you win the conference, you should have a guaranteed spot to rep your conference in the national championship fight.

I really hope 8 teams happen..5 conference winners and 3 at large.

Last edited:

I agree with you about PSU being hot but the problem is that most voters thinks that UM beats PSU by 3 TDs if they play today. Right or not, that's the perception.

I wouldn't say it's "insane," since UM beat PSU handily. If you're arguing that a two-loss B1G team shouldn't be considered at all, that's a different argument. But if two B1G teams were to get in, tOSU is one and then UM, PSU or Wisky would be the other. If Wisky wins tonight, a case could be made for them, too. But given UM's thrashing of PSU, it's not insane for anyone, including Delany, to argue that UM deserves to be the 4th team if the committee wanted it. I personally hope they don't get in.
The thing I can't get past with Michigan is putting a team that 3rd in their half of the conference into the final 4. To me, either other 1 loss teams or PSU/Wisconsin winner gets in.

The thing I can't get past with Michigan is putting a team that 3rd in their half of the conference into the final 4. To me, either other 1 loss teams or PSU/Wisconsin winner gets in.
If Clemson loses, you have to pick the best team with 2 Ls. UM is probably the best 2 Ls team.

playoffs should be Bama, OSU, Clemson, Washington.

Def wanna keep Harbaugh out of it... that would be awesome. If he wants to get in the playoffs, he could camp out for tix

Reactions: ruready07
With Washington's decisive win over Colorado the four playoff teams are likely set,ie, Alabama,Ohio State,Clemson and Washington.The remaining eligible B1G teams will be waiting for selections to bowl games.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I happen to agree. Whoever lost at a later date unfortunately is logically most disadvantaged by their losses. Also, winning one additional game via what should be a terrific CCG matters. Michigan doesn't get to do that, PSU does have that opportunity.

The thing the playoff is about isn't the best in each conference, it's their perception of the best team overall, and that takes into account OOC play. Whiskey's win over LSU is far more impressive than Iowa's win over us, for example, and they are looking at overall schedules.

Who got boat raced by Michigan.

I honestly do not know what the point of conference championship games are anymore...this shit was bound to happen. It never bothered me before because it has been the best 4 out of the 5 conference champions so far...so in my mind the playoffs started this week with 8 teams (9 with the Big 12 winner)...now it's officially fallen apart.

Bottom line, if you win the conference, you should have a guaranteed spot to rep your conference in the national championship fight.

I really hope 8 teams happen..5 conference winners and 3 at large.
I agree winning your conference should be a requirement. If you can win your conference but someone else from your conference gets taken while you get left out, then why bother playing the conference championship game? Why not just award the conference championship to the team with the highest ranking? Ohio State is actually benefitting by not winning their division. They get the week off instead of having to play a tough opponent in a conference championship game. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruready07
Who got boat raced by Michigan.

Again, I'll point to OSU in 2014. They got beat by a horrible VT team but one of the battle cries was how much they had improved since that game.

I'm fine if you don't want PSU in the playoff but I also remember exactly what happened in 2014 very well as I live here in OH.

Again, I'll point to OSU in 2014. They got beat by a horrible VT team but one of the battle cries was how much they had improved since that game.

I'm fine if you don't want PSU in the playoff but I also remember exactly what happened in 2014 very well as I live here in OH.

PSU does not deserve to be in over Michigan delusional people.

Regardless, talking about the 2 B1G team in the CFP is a waste of time if Clemson wins. Three spots are already locked up - Bama, OSU, and UW. Clemson is #4 if they win.

For the last time, their records won't be the same if PSU wins.

Reactions: RU31trap
You guys aren't even the best team in PA. Pitt beat you. If you made it to the playoffs you'd just be an embarrassment

ADVERTISEMENT