7. Riley: 2.8 million
8. Chryst: 2.7 million
9. Durkin: 2.4 million
10. Wilson: 2.3 million
11. Hazell: 2.2 million (fired)
12. Ash: 2 million
13. Smith: 1.8 million
14. Claeys: 1.4 million

$9 million is an obscene amount of money by any objective measure, especially considering that players get a scholarship, but are otherwise unpaid.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
$9 million is an obscene amount of money by any objective measure, especially considering that players get a scholarship, but are otherwise unpaid.
But salaries aren't measured objectively. I'm all for anybody and everybody making as much money as they possibly can. That goes equally for union workers or CEOs, teachers, cops, stock-brokers, etc.

Life ain't fair and in the entirety of human existence, no organizational attempt to make it more fair has resulted in much of anything but making things less fair.

Viva la capitalism.

What would our seat gifts have to be to afford this jerk? Or should we measure it in commencement address fees? If Michigan can afford and announce that kind of legitimate money, you have to wonder what kind of funny money is "spent" on wooing and keeping players and their families and their friends and street agents happy.

I don't fault Harbaugh for taking the money, people get what they negotiate (at least at the top with no salary cap) but that is an absurdly high salary. If you have 50,000 Michigan fans willing to pay $180 per year to have him coach, they can pay him that.

I wouldn't pay $1mm for that guy. He can coach, recruit, and motivate but I wouldn't want my school associated with him.

College athletics out of control....

This is silliness. He's weird, eccentric and a d#ck, but you're kidding yourself if you think you wouldn't jump for joy if RU hired him. It's not like he has baggage like a Petrino, and he has a resume no one else touches. Then again, if there's any fanbase that could find fault with a slam dunk like that, it'd be ours. Imagine if Harbaugh came here and played Laviano? People would be calling to have a Super Bowl-caliber coach fired halfway through Game 2.

Don't find the money particularly surprising. Who else has a combination of college and NFL success like that?

This is silliness. He's weird, eccentric and a d#ck, but you're kidding yourself if you think you wouldn't jump for joy if RU hired him. It's not like he has baggage like a Petrino, and he has a resume no one else touches. Then again, if there's any fanbase that could find fault with a slam dunk like that, it'd be ours. Imagine if Harbaugh came here and played Laviano? People would be calling to have a Super Bowl-caliber coach fired halfway through Game 2.

Don't find the money particularly surprising. Who else has a combination of college and NFL success like that?
Someone with a resume like Harbaugh would've signed on a grad transfer or JUCO or a top level FCS QB. He would've gotten a kid like O'Korn to come to compete (I know, he was a transfer who had to sit out a year, no immediate impact).

Schools with the money will continue to pay exorbitant salaries for coaches in their quest for the National Championship .
Harbaugh's salary might seem excessive, but if he wins the B1G Championship this season, you can bet Michigan fans will say he's worth it.
Bama fans consider Saban worth the money he makes and Meyer has OSU fans not worried about the size of his contract.
Winning brings in big bucks and prestige, that's why schools are willing to pay through the nose for HCs that make their program national champion contenders and have the booster donate more money because of the way the football program they donate to preforms .

Reactions: ivan brunetti
if i were the state of NJ, i'd pay urban meyer 15 mm to come to RU.. we'd be winning very quickly and the economic windfall for NJ would be much higher than 13 mill incrementally each year. Could you imagine the kind of money RU would be making with top 20 team every year alone? Its crazy how short sighted we are.

If what I found online is accurate, Harbaugh made $5M a year with the 49ers? Does that make any sense? And I think he was making about $1M a year with Stanford. That's one hell of a trajectory. I think he's a jackass, but good for him.

if i were the state of NJ, i'd pay urban meyer 15 mm to come to RU.. we'd be winning very quickly and the economic windfall for NJ would be much higher than 13 mill incrementally each year. Could you imagine the kind of money RU would be making with top 20 team every year alone? Its crazy how short sighted we are.
I think once RU pays a HC anything close to what the top HCs make in an effort to become one of the top programs the NJ Legislature will use that in an effort to gain full control of Rutgers BOG&BOT making membership in them appointments that only Trenton can make.

My opinion:
Rutgers needs to start winning in order to get the public behind them before paying top dollar for a HC.
Once the public becomes proud of RU FB then getting them to back paying RU'S HC top dollar will be much easier and not have Trenton use that in a power grab

The guy that is making out big time on this is Saban. He has a clause in his contract that states he automatically gets a raise to be the highest paid coach if somebody signs a deal that is more than his.

Reactions: brgRC90
If what I found online is accurate, Harbaugh made $5M a year with the 49ers? Does that make any sense? And I think he was making about $1M a year with Stanford. That's one hell of a trajectory. I think he's a jackass, but good for him.
yep he is not actually making 9 million. michigan gave him a one time interest free loan that was part of his contract. also he is making michigan a ton of money. before he coached his first game he already made michigan more than he will make in his contract

But salaries aren't measured objectively. I'm all for anybody and everybody making as much money as they possibly can. That goes equally for union workers or CEOs, teachers, cops, stock-brokers, etc.

Life ain't fair and in the entirety of human existence, no organizational attempt to make it more fair has resulted in much of anything but making things less fair.

Viva la capitalism.

NCAA football isn't really capitalism (at least not in its purist form), it's more like an oligarchy run by over-sized coaches who have no labor costs so they can suck up all the money. ;)

Jim Harbaugh is a stain on the University of Michigan's otherwise stellar reputation. His antics in recruiting, lack of good sportsmanship on the field and his ridiculous salary reflect poorly on the current values of the University as an institution of higher education. Ultimately Michigan will pay a much higher price than $9 million in the loss of prestige and tarnish to its reputation.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I know a few major contributors in Ann Arbor . They said that if Harbaugh wanted 20 mil he would get it. This is the culture we are up against.

Such is the very not level playing field in college football where it's considered fair game to beat the sh!t out of teams with a fraction of the budget because "it's their job to stop the other team."

yep he is not actually making 9 million. michigan gave him a one time interest free loan that was part of his contract. also he is making michigan a ton of money. before he coached his first game he already made michigan more than he will make in his contract
it looks like it’s in the form of an insurance policy and Michigan will be paying $2 million a year for it , till 2021.
Jim Harbaugh, U-M agreed to $2-million additional compensation in June
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...8/17/michigan-jim-harbaugh-contract/88910306/

Such is the very not level playing field in college football where it's considered fair game to beat the sh!t out of teams with a fraction of the budget because "it's their job to stop the other team."
I remember the old SWC and Big 8 days when Texas would be favored by over 40 in many of their games and beat the spread easily. Same with the Sooners covering 40+ spreads and having no problem beating it .
Beatdowns have been part of college football for a long long time, but I think there are more complaints now about dectroying an opponant by over 30-40 then there was years ago.
Just like programs with big money boosters will always have the edge getting top HCs because the schools without their budget can't afford to run their program like the ones that have big buck support.
Harbaugh is at a Big Buck school and they can afford what they pay him.

NCAA football isn't really capitalism (at least not in its purist form), it's more like an oligarchy run by over-sized coaches who have no labor costs so they can suck up all the money. ;)
True, but I wasn't just talking about NCAA football. I'm talking about our entire country.

I hate when people complain about how much other people earn. People should stop complaining, go out, work hard and earn more themselves. Everybody has an excuse for why somebody else shouldn't earn so much money, be it the highest paid CEO or minimum wage earners. But nobody ever wants to give up their salary and most people want to earn even more.

Nothing wrong with Rutgers offering between 3-3.5 million per year. But that's a discussion for another thread.

I don't fault Harbaugh for taking the money, people get what they negotiate (at least at the top with no salary cap) but that is an absurdly high salary. If you have 50,000 Michigan fans willing to pay $180 per year to have him coach, they can pay him that.
Or 100,000 Michigan fans paying $15 per home game. It's $15. One lunch a week for six weeks. If the fan base is big, the cost is minimal.

you can call it whatever you want. But please don't tell me how I'd feel. I stated how I feel. Sorry, some folks just put character and other virtues above the pro like win at all cost thing. I am one of them. it is football and not life. (even though I have given WAY TOO much of my life to Rutgers Football).

[wQUOTE="1984, post: 2432593, member: 500"]you can call it whatever you want. But please don't tell me how I'd feel. I stated how I feel. Sorry, some folks just put character and other virtues above the pro like win at all cost thing. I am one of them. it is football and not life. (even though I have given WAY TOO much of my life to Rutgers Football).[/QUOTE]

I call it pure tomfoolery and small time thinking. We're not talking a criminal. What did Harbaugh ever do so wrong that RU would blacklist him?

True, but I wasn't just talking about NCAA football. I'm talking about our entire country.

I hate when people complain about how much other people earn. People should stop complaining, go out, work hard and earn more themselves. Everybody has an excuse for why somebody else shouldn't earn so much money, be it the highest paid CEO or minimum wage earners. But nobody ever wants to give up their salary and most people want to earn even more.

Roger that!

Jim Harbaugh is a stain on the University of Michigan's otherwise stellar reputation. His antics in recruiting, lack of good sportsmanship on the field and his ridiculous salary reflect poorly on the current values of the University as an institution of higher education. Ultimately Michigan will pay a much higher price than $9 million in the loss of prestige and tarnish to its reputation.

[roll]

His enthusiasm at recruiting within the rules? His willingness to play 3rd and 4th string players in blowout wins? His salary that underpays his value to the athletic department?

You think those things reflect poorly on the University?

And FWIW the $9M is this year, not his annual salary since it includes a few one time lump sums.

He puts fannies in the seats, $$ in the University coffers. You don't think there are more TV eyes watching Michigan resulting in more money to the B1G (and RU)? And you keep hearing how out-of-state applications explode with football success often resulting in more $50k/yr students.

How much more does he make than Grady Hoke did? Compare that to how much more $$ he's brought in. Money that pays for so much more than athletic department stuff.

Mildone -- While I agree with you in principle, what I find obscene is the CEO situation where the incestuous interlocking relationship between board members and CEOs result in multi-million dollar salaries and bonuses regardless of company performance and golden parachute "rewards" in the tens of millions even when the company performance was a disaster.

Reactions: rutger80
ADVERTISEMENT