ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy V.

Steve Pikiell likes the schedule this way. I trust he knows a lot more of what’s best for the program than this poster.

Don’t lose fact of what games we want to see on the schedule the most! The NCAA tournament.
I spoke with Pikiell recently regarding these marquee early season tournaments as to why we don't participate. He said getting an invite is next to impossible. They have lobbied multiple tourneys with no success. He feels they only want the big name programs and RU is not there yet.

• Angry
Reactions: DirtyRU
I spoke with Pikiell recently regarding these marquee early season tournaments as to why we don't participate. He said getting an invite is next to impossible. They have lobbied multiple tourneys with no success. He feels they only want the big name programs and RU is not there yet.

that’s a bunch of BS. Seton Hall just played in Orlando with Siena, Memphis, Nebraska… I think RU is in a better spot than Nebraska. He’s also said he doesn’t want To travel during thanksgiving, and finding game dates is tough……EVERY other big ten team participates In these tourneys every year, or every other year, every few years

Also, RU played in these events under Fred Hill, Mike Rice,-Vegas, Cancun, Legends Classic in AC….from what I can recall and RU was def not a premiere name those years

that’s a bunch of BS. Seton Hall just played in Orlando with Siena, Memphis, Nebraska… I think RU is in a better spot than Nebraska. He’s also said he doesn’t want To travel during thanksgiving, and finding game dates is tough……EVERY other big ten team participates In these tourneys every year, or every other year, every few years

Also, RU played in these events under Fred Hill, Mike Rice,-Vegas, Cancun, Legends Classic in AC….from what I can recall and RU was def not a premiere name those years
Rutgers has received numerous tourney inquiries under Steve and because where Steve has brought the program. Rutgers is more coveted in the Jimmy V. than both Seton Hall and St John's and I firmly believe would be invited in 2023 if they would accept.Only one team has been invited as of last night and it appears that there will be 2 total from Big Ten and Big East.

No reason not to play once every few years—it keeps with Pikell’s scheduling philosophy as 1 game and local. Helps continue to get RU brand out there, and players want more opportunities to play on big stages.

He’s lying. He has said no to organizers multiple times.

Reactions: bac2therac
He’s lying. He has said no to organizers multiple times.
Hard to believe he would lie. He told me he has reached out to the Maui Tourney several times and doesn't even get the courtesy of a return call.

Maui and Atlantis are the 2 premiere tourneys… I wouldnt expect us to play in those…but any other tourney we should say yes

Reactions: rufan4ever
Hard to believe he would lie. He told me he has reached out to the Maui Tourney several times and doesn't even get the courtesy of a return call.

1. He has publicly stated his reasons for not playing tournaments around Thanksgiving. RU has been invited.

2. There are multiple tournaments organized by third parties. Pike has absolutely been approached to play in some of the better ones and turned them down.

3. It may very well be true that he could not get an invitation to one or two tournaments of his choice. That does not mean he can not get an invitation to any of the other top-tier tournaments.

Reactions: rufan4ever
How many years have we been better as the season moves along?

How many years has the rotations significantly changed as the season progressed?

Is front loading our schedule really a good idea?
I'd be more willing to entertain your theory that this is what's best for the program if Pike weren't so into the one-off neutral site games around Thanksgiving in lose-able games without much upside. We're worried about potentially being torched by UNC in front of a packed Garden and a national audience. The preferred alternative seems to be being torched by St. Bonaventure and Temple in front of 1500 people on ESPNU.

Reactions: MCKnight2004
Maui and Atlantis are the 2 premiere tourneys… I wouldnt expect us to play in those…but any other tourney we should say yes
These are the ones I want. Tropical vacation and Rutgers basketball is as good as it gets for me. I'd be absolutely thrilled to go

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT