ADVERTISEMENT

John Beilein taking the Cleveland Cavs job

wow, great college coach. Wish him well, always liked him. What does Michigan do from here?

Completely shocked and although financially set for life, not sure the NBA is for him.

Reactions: RUJMM78
His system should work in the NBA. Now can the front office get players to play in that system? We shall find out.

I think this has little to no impact on the upcoming season and class. Michigan will roll out a huge budget for a hire. But budget doesn't always mean success. So I think depending on who the hire is, I think it would be REALLY hard to continue and replicate the success Beilein had there. So I think Michigan could take a step back in 2-4 years time.

Wonder if Gregg Marshall at Wichita State or Chris Beard at Texas Tech get phone calls...

Nate Oats at Alabama will likely field calls as well. This is a rare situation where a great coach replaces another great coach.

Happy to not have him coaching against us anymore. Always seemed like a good guy, wish him luck. Man i am happy about this.

Reactions: shields
I think this has little to no impact on the upcoming season and class. Michigan will roll out a huge budget for a hire. But budget doesn't always mean success. So I think depending on who the hire is, I think it would be REALLY hard to continue and replicate the success Beilein had there. So I think Michigan could take a step back in 2-4 years time.
Brad Stevens to Michigan...

Not too many good guy coaches with his success in college basketball. Maybe he was sick of the blatant cheating?

I read a while back that Beilein was frustrated with the one-and-done aspect of the recent college hoops game. Perhaps that added to his desire to make this move?

Brazdekis and Matthews may stay in the draft and could have made this decision much easier. Plus butting heads with Tom Izzo 2 to 3 times a year, with little success, probably helped him make the move.

If I’m Michigan, I’d check in on Pike. I cringe at the thought of replacing him but the Michigan job is big time and they offer a lot of money. I really hope though they go down another road!

Reactions: vilo
I wonder if any Michigan players will now leave. I think Winston had decided to stay. I wonder if this changes his mind. It is probably good news for us RU fans.

I wonder if any Michigan players will now leave. I think Winston had decided to stay. I wonder if this changes his mind. It is probably good news for us RU fans.

Winston is on Michigan State.

Michigan is losing Poole, Brazdeikis, and Matthews already. Maybe there'll be a transfer or two but I don't see much roster changing for them.

Initial names further down on the list but more viable after they shoot for the stars, are Butler coach Lavell Jordan and former Pitt and current TCU coach Jaime Dixon. If Dixon is the eventual choice, I will not be heartbroken at all.

Brazdekis and Matthews may stay in the draft and could have made this decision much easier. Plus butting heads with Tom Izzo 2 to 3 times a year, with little success, probably helped him make the move.

Beilein was basically equal to Izzo the last 9 seasons if you measure head to head, conference success, and tourney success.

Beilein basically replicated the success that Johnny Orr had. It's not like Michigan never made it to a final four or won the conference before. Granted Orr never won the B1G Tournament.

Michigan will make a good hire. Just about every coach not named Roy, K, Bennett or Self would love that job.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Only surprised that he would be interested in pursuing this at age 66. I recall him talking with the Pistons last year. Always enjoyed watching his WVU and U of M teams play. Emphasis on motion and ball movement to create openings stood out. They will get another good coach but he set the bar pretty high.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT