ADVERTISEMENT

Johnathan Lewis = Cardale Jones 2.0

Compliment for sure, but I heard one scout's take on Cardale as he will "never be smart enough to be an NFL QB and the was lucky to have amazing talent around him and the best coaching staff in the country. Meyer even made Tebow look like a big-time QB in college". Paraphrasing here but that was the jist.

Setting aside football smarts, their games are totally different.

Lewis runs around top flight defenders like they are parking cones.

As Lewis has gone through this last growth spurt, people are looking at his measurables and his passing camp arm and calling him Cardale Jones. That is not his game. He is dynamic in the open field.

only rutgers fans could take a compliment and be offended.

oh stop it.

Who's "offended?"

Unlike, well, everyone here, I've seen the kid play every varsity snap he's ever had. Setting up a fanbase for Cardale Jones is stupid. That isn't his game.

Only certain Rutgers fans can be so insecure as to need any compliment, whether it's appropriate it or not, and run with it as Holy Grail...

It's not about fans being insecure, that tweet is now being passed around in the recruiting circles, it adds to the recruiting buzz and momentum having the QB of the future, it adds to the perception that Rutgers is heading in the right direction. For that I'm willing to let some technicality slide.

only rutgers fans could take a compliment and be offended.
Not offended at all. Just pointing out that tOSU's talent and staff made CJ a better QB than he probably would have been anywhere else. Urban made 3 completely different-style QBs into big winners in the same year. Best coaching job I've ever seen.

Reactions: NYCBuck99
It's not about fans being insecure, that tweet is now being passed around in the recruiting circles, it adds to the recruiting buzz and momentum having the QB of the future, it adds to the perception that Rutgers is heading in the right direction. For that I'm willing to let some technicality slide.

my comments were not directed to you. I know what you're doing.

Hopefully, "Cardale Jones 2.0" means "the good Cardale Jones" (at the end of 2014) and not "the bad Cardale Jones" (just about any time during 2015).

It sounds like he's a great runner. How's his throwing accuracy and overall QB skills ? What does he need to work on?

Compliment for sure, but I heard one scout's take on Cardale as he will "never be smart enough to be an NFL QB and the was lucky to have amazing talent around him and the best coaching staff in the country. Meyer even made Tebow look like a big-time QB in college". Paraphrasing here but that was the jist.

Tebow was one of the best college QB of all time. His leadership and skill level was perfect for college. Just like many, many awesome college QB's it did not translate into success in the NFL. I hope Lewis is Cardale Jones 2.0 and wins us a national championship.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
It sounds like he's a great runner. How's his throwing accuracy and overall QB skills ? What does he need to work on?
His touch on the ball and some accuracy. He riffles everything in, think John Elway. We might have to get some football throwing machines and turn them up to max speed. It's his next evolution to becoming an elite QB. The kids been progressing every year since high school started, no reason to think he's going to stop now.

Rutgers just needs him to be a good college QB. They don't worry about NFL-success.
only rutgers fans could take a positive thread and turn it in an attack among posters.
Welcome to Scarlet Nation.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Just re watched his hudl. I love what he brings to the table. He's going to be so much fun to watch.

Just watched his high lights. Yup! We got a good one. I would love to see this kid get on the field.

Setting aside football smarts, their games are totally different.

Lewis runs around top flight defenders like they are parking cones.

As Lewis has gone through this last growth spurt, people are looking at his measurables and his passing camp arm and calling him Cardale Jones. That is not his game. He is dynamic in the open field.
Hey H,
Tell us about his game. Seriously.

perception, Perception, PERCEPTION!!!!!!!!
getting out there... passed around... being viewed, creates.........

Reactions: Clearscreen25
He has great QB skills makes the right reads. And those reads includes when to run and when to pass, his school runs the same exact offensive system as Rutgers. To me the best asset and the reason why I think he is by far the best recruit we got in a long time is that when the competition got better, he got better. In the end of the season in the state playoffs he just torched teams. Then St. Peters played Eastern Christian of Maryland the end of last year, who is a football factory like IMG Academy filled with D1 players. I tell you what I will just link the box score on this one you tell me how he did, both passing and rushing:

Link

Is one issue that he needs to work on and even he knows it is his touch. Its always the case when young QB's can throw the 98 mile an hour fastball they need to to learn to sometime throw the 78 mile an hour changeup.

By the way he tries to mimic his game to Cam Newton his favorite player and I think he has even called himself Cam 2.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: sct1111
He has great QB skills makes the right reads. And those reads includes when to run and when to pass, his school runs the same exact offensive system as Rutgers. To me the best asset and the reason why I think he is by far the best recruit we got in a long time is that when the competition got better, he got better. In the end of the season in the state playoffs he just torched teams. Then St. Peters played Eastern Christian of Maryland the end of last year, who is a football factory like IMG Academy filled with D1 players. I tell you what I will just link the box score on this one you tell me how he did, both passing and rushing:

Link

Is one issue that he needs to work on and even he knows it is his touch. Its always the case when young QB's can throw the 98 mile an hour fastball they need to to learn to sometime throw the 78 mile an hour changeup.

By the way he tries to mimic his game to Cam Newton his favorite player and I think he has even called himself Cam 2.0.
Your last sentence absolutely describes how he considers himself.The second coming of CAM.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT