ADVERTISEMENT

Jonathan Taylor...

He is very close with most of the other NJ commits as well as the staff so I'm not too worried, it's known that he was going to take some visits regardless, I think he just wants to make sure Rutgers is the right place. That said, his new thread on RT is gettin pretty long which can mean there is something going on, hopefully nothing negative.

Whatever is being discussed on RT, after it runs its course and there is a conclusion, you will learn the same outcome 12 hours later at the very latest.

We've been through this many times before. A commitment is not really a commitment these days. It's more like "save this seat for me while I look around to see if there's one available that I might like better."

Sadly, that is often the reality of it.

Roundtable isn't just about breaking news. There's a lot of analysis, interviews, Q&A sessions, etc. Definitely worth the $10 if you have the spare change laying around. But for the longest time I didn't have it either, so it's not like I'm judging people on it.

As for the Taylor situation (on the roundtable and off), the common perception is ... that's how recruiting goes nowadays. Just have to fight through it. It's not like we don't try to bring committed players to Rutgers for visits too.

Ash has to turn the tables,take the offer back and show these kids we are not playing.Rutgers is for real.

Whats going on with him? He is a junior, schools are noticing him. It is a part of life.

Where is our backbone or do we want to be a doormat.Time to wake up.Some say Flood pulled offers but guess what they were not coming here any way. Dreamers

At least Flood showed some nerve..I was no fan of Floods but he showed me something.

Totally agreed, we all saw how well that strategy worked out for Flood.

I am assuming you are being sarcastic and I agree that it didn't work, but those kids would have left if we did the exact opposite, so we are screwed either way, in most instances. I am now back on the side of giving these kids ships away if they continue taking visits.

Reactions: shoprufan
For some reason people on this board do not understand, this is a war we have to win. This is no longer a game it is a business. Its about money and winning. I totally agree take away the offer if they are want to visit and give it to someone who wants to do R.U.proud.. I could care less if they are 2 stars or 5 stars.

For some reason people on this board do not understand, this is a war we have to win. This is no longer a game it is a business. Its about money and winning. I totally agree take away the offer if they are want to visit and give it to someone who wants to do R.U.proud.. I could care less if they are 2 stars or 5 stars.
This is a quick path to 1-2 BIG wins each year.

We are not much better then that now.. But at least we are not being played by kids that think they are all Willie Mays.How many really make it. Go watch a little league game all dressed up with fancy bags,bats,gloves,ect... and they can even hit the ball.This is whats wrong with the world today everyone is trying to be something there not.

Flood pulled offers because he was too lazy to work and go after the recruits. We won't get them all... but the current staff will put the work in. We'll get more than we lose. You lose a few recruits every year, everyone does... get used to it.

End of story.

Interesting that if you look at Taylor's profile on the RU commit list, the interest level associated with all the other schools mentioned is "None"...except for Wisconsin, where the interest level is put at "Low". -Thought that was kind of curious since when a kid gives his commit, usually the interest level in all the other schools seems to automatically go to "None"...but not in this case.

Now whether that's a recent change/adjustment made because of Taylor's upcoming visit to Wisky, or if that level of interest has always remained despite his Rutgers verbal, I'm not sure. But I'll put my faith in RU's new staff and their determination to work their asses off recruiting to determine whether a kid ends up playing in Scarlet or not.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that no matter what a staff does, in this day and age, it seems like a given that not every commit is gonna stick. That said, though, I've no doubt that Ash & Co. will do everything they can to keep verbals in the fold -Will they be 100% successful 100% of the time? No. But I'd rather have them stick to their philosophy of outworking another school's staff to hold onto to a commit rather than threaten to pull a 'ship if a verbal decides to visit another school. ...Flood tried going down that path and absolutely, definitively, (and pretty quickly), found out how "well" that particular approach worked.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
What you are proposing is a quick way for Ash to get fired.

Reactions: JerseyVegas
Taylor was our top RB target right from the start, had he decided to play out his recruitment till signing day we would have saved a spot for him regardless, his commitment simply puts us on the higher ground for his recruitment, only someone with too much ego would voluntarily give up the higher ground while risk pissing off other commits/recruits who are very close with Taylor.

One of the things I really like about Ash is that he doesn't take things personal (ie. Darby recruitment), it's all business including the feud with Michigan camp.

The first week of February is a long time away. Better off not getting too high or too low about any particular kid at this point in the cycle. With no early signing period why would these kids commit so early if it meant they needed to forego the opportunity to see other schools and make sure the fit is right?

What you are proposing is a quick way for Ash to get fired.

Instead of just dumping people who look elsewhere, perhaps the time has come to over-recruit like everyone else does. Then it is not a case of "cutting off your nose to spite your face", it is a case of, "well, if no one really honors their commitments, why shouldn't we protect ourselves too?". The truly loyal will not be taking the extra visits and they would not get dumped even after we offered.. but the other guys.. the ones expecting a commitment to be one-way for as long as they like it.. well, they might get what they deserve... or they might not.

Instead of just dumping people who look elsewhere, perhaps the time has come to over-recruit like everyone else does. Then it is not a case of "cutting off your nose to spite your face", it is a case of, "well, if no one really honors their commitments, why shouldn't we protect ourselves too?". The truly loyal will not be taking the extra visits and they would not get dumped even after we offered.. but the other guys.. the ones expecting a commitment to be one-way for as long as they like it.. well, they might get what they deserve... or they might not.

I agree that we should recruit over anyone who starts looking elsewhere while maintaining good relationship with the kid that is looking around. No one can be upset about that.

When Rutgers becomes "The" destination and top HS talent strive to become Scarlet Knights RU will be able to pull the offers of commits that want to check out other schools without it hurting the football program.
Until that happens, RU just has to convince the recruit ,who committed but still wants to look around, that being a Scarlet Knight is in his best interest .

I believe some of the top programs give their recruits a choice and that is : commit and stop looking or keep looking after you commit but don't expect a spot here.
Rutgers isn't in a position to do that (yet) and it probably hurt recruiting top talent more than keeping top HS talent committed.

When Rutgers becomes "The" destination and top HS talent strive to become Scarlet Knights RU will be able to pull the offers of commits that want to check out other schools without it hurting the football program.
Until that happens, RU just has to convince the recruit ,who committed but still wants to look around, that being a Scarlet Knight is in his best interest .

I believe some of the top programs give their recruits a choice and that is : commit and stop looking or keep looking after you commit but don't expect a spot here.
Rutgers isn't in a position to do that (yet) and it probably hurt recruiting top talent more than keeping top HS talent committed.

Just because you, yourself, don't think Rutgers is the desired destination for top recruits doesn't mean it isn't. We have recruits who can go anywhere in the country already committed to play here. Rutgers is a power 5 program in the big ten east division.. Most certaintly a destination school, especially for northeast recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT