ADVERTISEMENT

July 23 Rutgers Day on BTN - Includes New Show "Rutgers Rise"

Turned to BTN tonight for part 1 of Rutgers Rise show about Greg's first go around here.

I'm not seeing that show, but RU vs USF is on.
Man I miss good. RU football Games!

Amazing we had a great run by game, took shots down field. Had aggressive D/DTs play.

Reminds me just how far we had fallen under Flood/Ash.

Welcome back Greg!

BTW, anyone know what happened to that show?

Originally it was listed at 6:30. Then it changed to 7:30

Turned to BTN tonight for part 1 of Rutgers Rise show about Greg's first go around here.

I'm not seeing that show, but RU vs USF is on.
Man I miss good. RU football Games!

Amazing we had a great run by game, took shots down field. Had aggressive D/DTs play.

Reminds me just how far we had fallen under Flood/Ash.

Welcome back Greg!

BTW, anyone know what happened to that show?

It was on 730-800 EDT.

Please can we return the Birthplace of College Football to where everyone can see it.

Rise was inspiring. Lots of interviews with former players, Carlin, and Sullivan (Politi too) looking back at what the program accomplished from Greg's hiring through the 2006 pandemonium game. Goose bumps!

We will be relevant again.

Rise was inspiring. Lots of interviews with former players, Carlin, and Sullivan (Politi too) looking back at what the program accomplished from Greg's hiring through the 2006 pandemonium game. Goose bumps!

We will be relevant again.

Damn! I just got rid of the package that BTN is in, thinking "Why am I paying for this right now?" Oh well. Hopefully, I can catch Rutgers Rise somewhere down the line.

That 30 minutes had me smiling the whole time. Good to see some of the familiar faces from that era. Loved the comments from some of the NFL guys that the L'ville 2006 crowd was the loudest they ever played in front of (including Seattle).

Dang, thought You Tube TVl had it at 8.

So, how was it?

I liked it. 30 minute infomercial promoting Schiano. It was nice to see many of the players from that time. Greene, Underwood, Vallone, Hart, Rice and others. Half hour was too short but hour would have been overkill.

Hmmph, anyone able to find this online? I've been looking for how to stream it since I missed it last night and coming up with nothing :/

I set my DVR to record it. I enjoyed the hell out of 2006 and have always been very proud of that season. Don't jump all over me but I am starting to feel like we're becoming like fans we've laughed at for looking back at old glory who have done nothing since then. We always make fun of Syracuse and some other teams for that. I guess I'm just hungry for some success now
I think that's because those of us lucky to have been in the stadium for that Louisville game stood there at the end with the highest degree of satisfaction and relief thinking.. wow.. it finally happened... and even the stinker vs Cincinnati didn't crush the memory.. and it certainly could have. As did getting robbed at WVU and relegated to the Texas Bowl.

I think we minimize the memory of the end of that season because we won our first bowl game and we knew we had gotten lucky early in the season before the offense began to show up for us. We were lucky to have made it to 4-0.

Last edited:
Just watched it (DVR'd from HULU) and I have to say it was very well done! I really liked the perspectives from the former players and having Tara, Chris Carlin, and yes, even Politi really helped give it the home cooked feel that augmented the show.

Yeah, it should be sent to every recruit, too!

I think that's because those of us lucky to have been in the stadium for that Louisville game stood there at the end with the highest degree of satisfaction and relief thinking.. wow.. it finally happened... and even the stinker vs Cincinnati didn't crush the memory.. and it certainly could have. As did getting robbed at WVU and relegated to the Texas Bowl.

I think we minimize the memory of the end of that season because we won our first bowl game and we knew we had gotten lucky early in the season before the offense began to show up for us. We were lucky to have made it to 4-0.
Really good post. Stinker it was. Robbed we were. You are accurate in the entire post.:ThumbsUp

Just watched it (DVR'd from HULU) and I have to say it was very well done! I really liked the perspectives from the former players and having Tara, Chris Carlin, and yes, even Politi really helped give it the home cooked feel that augmented the show.

Politi MOCKED US as an undefeated team. In the clip of Politi they used on the teaser he is creating a fantasy that at 3-0 he felt they could go undefeated. What he actually did was write a story at 5-0 MOCKING the fantasy that we could go undefeated and play for the MNC (mythical national championship). Later that same year he tried to take credit for "predicting" the success of Rutgers football and he is still doing that.

Agreed - was especially cool to hear the perspectives of all the former players. Hope we can re-watch it online somehow and look forward to "Rutgers Return".

I know Politi has always been a "downer" or maybe a "realist" depending on how you look at his stance - but one thing that he said rubbed me the wrong way, something along the lines that "in the press box, down 25-14 at the half, there weren't many people who thought we would win" (and how thought shifted that the "season wouldn't be lost" losing to Louisville). I couldn't disagree more...

I vividly remember sitting up in 224 with my Father. The first half certainly had its ups and downs, but playing the way we were going into the half (after the Ray Rice TD), as the team was going into the tunnel at half I remember us and everyone around us cheering. Specifically, I remember my Father, me, and the two guys who had season tickets next to ours that year all saying and agreeing "Playing the way they're playing, I'll take 25-14 going into the half." Sure enough, the team pulled it out in the second half and the rest is history...

Reactions: RUHouston
I was hoping to see more of the earlier guys like Tres Moses, but I loved it. Great infomercial for Schiano.

Reactions: shields
Agreed - was especially cool to hear the perspectives of all the former players. Hope we can re-watch it online somehow and look forward to "Rutgers Return".

I know Politi has always been a "downer" or maybe a "realist" depending on how you look at his stance - but one thing that he said rubbed me the wrong way, something along the lines that "in the press box, down 25-14 at the half, there weren't many people who thought we would win" (and how thought shifted that the "season wouldn't be lost" losing to Louisville). I couldn't disagree more...

I vividly remember sitting up in 224 with my Father. The first half certainly had its ups and downs, but playing the way we were going into the half (after the Ray Rice TD), as the team was going into the tunnel at half I remember us and everyone around us cheering. Specifically, I remember my Father, me, and the two guys who had season tickets next to ours that year all saying and agreeing "Playing the way they're playing, I'll take 25-14 going into the half." Sure enough, the team pulled it out in the second half and the rest is history...

At halftime I shared your positive outlook. The team had begun to claw their way back into the game and it was showing.

But a bit earlier (I think that a UL player had just returned a kick for a TD) I was VERY worried that the great ride was coming to an end. I was so upset that I could not watch for a bit - headed up to the concourse to get a soda. Took a long time as the lines were incredibly long at the concession stands. When I finally got back to my seat we were beginning a drive that led to our comeback. Never doubted victory after that (well maybe for half a beat when Ito missed the first field goal attempt- before I saw the yellow cloth on the field).

Adding this - I said above that I returned to my seat and that just struck me funny. This game was the one time I remember where there really was no seat. My entire row (and I guess the whole stadium) was so packed that we had to kind of stand slightly askew. I think we may have somehow squeezed into the seated position at some point during the game, but it was not easy.

Last edited:

Luck is always part of the equation in most everything...even in life itself.

If anyone catches wind of when it will be on again, please chime in here. I don't have a traditional DVR but must manually start recordings in real time.
Although I had terrible video editing tools at the time, here (whenever L'ville 2006 comes up) is my effort to remember 2006. Just jump to the 1:40 mark for the game. I'm pretty sure it will always be the greatest sporting event I've ever attended because of the brilliance of the crowd being involved in every play with noise in a perfect, deafening way and the same "we finally did it" reasons cited above...

A day of Rutgers sports on BTN July 23rd.

One game that stands out for me is the 2011 Florida vs Rutgers men’s basketball game. I Haven’t seen this one on BTN before. It’s scheduled for 9:30pm.

Have it set to record.

There is also a half hour show called Rutgers Rise, no details given, not sure what it is but set up to record it also. It’s scheduled for 7:30pm.

Some football games listed as well as women’s sports.

At halftime I shared your positive outlook. The team had begun to claw their way back into the game and it was showing.

But a bit earlier (I think that a UL player had just returned a kick for a TD) I was VERY worried that the great ride was coming to an end. I was so upset that I could not watch for a bit - headed up to the concourse to get a soda. Took a long time as the lines were incredibly long at the concession stands. When I finally got back to my seat we were beginning a drive that led to our comeback. Never doubted victory after that (well maybe for half a beat when Ito missed the first field goal attempt- before I saw the yellow cloth on the field).

Adding this - I said above that I returned to my seat and that just struck me funny. This game was the one time I remember where there really was no seat. My entire row (and I guess the whole stadium) was so packed that we had to kind of stand slightly askew. I think we may have somehow squeezed into the seated position at some point during the game, but it was not easy.
agreed.. I would say the moment that I felt we would be okay was Rice's TD in the first half. That was the big moment of relief and by the 2nd half kickoff the idea that we could come back and win it was very solid. But I don't doubt Politi and his comrades had given up.

But you could tell from the crowd noise to open the 2nd half that the fans had not given up at all. That was one case where the fans seemed to pull the team back up.. not the team's play pulling the fans back into the game. The fans never left them that game.

Our seatmates missed that game.. family trip to Disney.. and only caught a little of it on TV. They did get to see USF the following season.. that was pretty good.

Very impressed with the players and how they presented their recollections. Also happy that Ray was brought back. Nobody is going to exonerate him for his transgression. But, he has paid a very big price and, over the years, he has performed a number of off the field actions that are to his credit.

Reactions: shields
ADVERTISEMENT