ADVERTISEMENT

Junkanoo Jam 11/30/19 RU vs Georgia Tech 2, or 2:30 Game thread

46-43 Rutgers wins even with horrendous foul shooting.Take the win and be happy because this was a very poor offensive performance.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Well, the Scarlet Knights get the W. Final score 46 43. Can't believe KK missed two no-pressure FTs at the end. Something just off, way off.

According to espn, KK missed 3 FTs in a row in the last 7 seconds. She made one, missed but got the rebound and got fouled, missed again, then again. GT got the rebound but missed a long shot

Great! From the comments above it was an ugly game but that is what happens when two of the top defenses face off against one another. Ugly or not, this is a good win over an undefeated team, one that had clobbered UGa recently, in Athens no less.

The score was actually a bit higher than I expected and 46 points tops their #1 points against defensive average by nearly 6 points.

That is two straight wins on a neutral court against teams from other Power 5 conferences.

NBC's women's bball site still has zero score for this game, as if it hasn't begun. Strange, since it has scores for games that began later.

Happy for the team to get the W over a surprising GT squad. I didn't watch the game but see from the box score that Tech really only uses six players. I wonder if fatigue was a factor in the 2nd half.

I understand why Arella played 40 minutes, but KK? I hope we get some insight into the reason Zippy barely played when the starting PG was shooting really, really poorly. I think they are both PGs.

Congrats to winning the championship there. I realize we only scored 46 points, but GT coming in was a very strong team as well. I'll take the win, as this gives our women much needed experience moving forward.

Massey predicted a three-point loss; Sonny Moore predicted a one-point loss. RealtimeRPI predicted a two-point win.

I am happy with 6-1 at this point in the season.

Last edited:
Happy for ugly, gritty win. I'll give KK a pass.
Despite overall statistics, am impressed with team play in last 5 minutes of game to pull out a win.

Last edited:
Just for the record. Ga Tech was undefeated coming in. they lead the Nation in scoring defense at 40.4 and were 4th in scoring margin. They were 6th in fg percentage defense (we are first) . This was a good win. We now have a 4 game home stand and can get to 10-1.

Let’s come out and support these kids. I’ve been listening to so many complaints about football that it’s refreshing to see a program doing well. Go RU!

Reactions: TRU2RU and APKnight
I understand why Arella played 40 minutes, but KK? I hope we get some insight into the reason Zippy barely played when the starting PG was shooting really, really poorly. I think they are both PGs.

I noticed that Zipporah seemed to have a problem in the Vanderbilt game when she took a fall on the sidelines in the first half. She came out then and didn’t come back until much later in the game. This may be a reason she didn’t get much time today.

also, in spite of her lack of scoring, KK does such a great job at keeping the team settled down, I have no problem with her playing all 40.

Last edited:
I'm happy, but hoping for better play next time.
images

Put offensive troubles down to playing against a great GT D.

Reactions: ChasRC69
I'm happy, but hoping for better play next time.
images

Put offensive troubles down to playing against a great GT D.

Are the missed FT’s a result of great defense, too?

Or are the women watching the men practice?

(Glad we won today)

Are the missed FT’s a result of great defense, too?

Or are the women watching the men practice?

(Glad we won today)
Just trying to put my happy we won message without thinking about the part that distracts from some of the enjoyment..
After a win I tend to ignore the messed up part of game that needs improvement.

RU 18/51 35%, 1/14 from 3, 9/21 free throws
GT 16/50 32%, 1/10 from 3, 10/19 free throws

Last edited:
RU 18/51 35%, 1/14 from 3, 9/21 free throws
GT 16/50 32%, 1/10 from 3, 10/19 free throws
Some of the stats a result of 2 top defensive teams playing - Georgia Tech was #1 in the country, only giving up 40 points/game. Prior to this game, RU had been shooting .473 from the floor and .353 from 3. Free throws were also much better. Perhaps too much sun and warm temperatures played a part. Wish I were there for the sun and heat.
Hard to believe the listed attendance was 150.

Reactions: MADHAT1
After a slow first 3 qtrs, Wallace had a very good 4th quarter. Foul woes continue to be an issue.

Davenport is kind of slow, and her hands are not good at times, but she is effective rebounding near the basket and with put backs and lay ups.

Not playing a lot last winter due to suspension could have affected her conditioning,

Do you know the Stringer-Fortner head-to-head? Or where to find it?

Good question. There probably isn't an obvious online source for it, but it would be possible to put it together (at least for CVS while @ RU) by looking at Fortner's bio. She had a long gap between NCAA coaching stints, so there may not have been a lot of matchups.

Not one of my favorite coaches. In fact, I personally thought she was (at times) overrated, although I suppose she has had a long and varied successful career

She was the HC of Auburn when we beat them in the NCAA tourney.
I believe this was one of the few times we had a home court advantage against a higher seeded team in the tournament. IIRC we were a 7 seed and Auburn was a 2. But the game was played at the RAC. I recall a very tall Dewanna Bonnet being neutralized.

I have not looked it up, but I think Fortner was USAB Head Coach when CVS was one of the assistants. Can not remember the year, might have been Pan Am games instead of Olympics. Two old guard WBB coaches.

KK had a much better game against Vandy (5-10 shooting, 2-4 3pt, 14pts). Both games would have been A LOT easier if the team made its FTs (thankfully, our opponents were just as bad, so it goes both ways).

These are ugly wins, but the team could have easily been 0-2, and instead went 2-0. As folks have seen around the country, the early Thanksgiving tournaments are weird--we're seeing a lot of upsets and weird scores and comebacks, etc. Let's hope the team can move forward, cut down on the Turnovers, and make some damn free throws.

ugly or not..both games, they were wins against possible NCAA type programs from power 5 league. Lots of positives to take out. Look this team will once again struggle on offense once they get in league play, that is a constant, CVS is going to have to figure that one out but for not the team is off to a great start and the defense looks like its getting back to snuff after that poor performance vs LSU

ugly or not..both games, they were wins against possible NCAA type programs from power 5 league. Lots of positives to take out. Look this team will once again struggle on offense once they get in league play, that is a constant, CVS is going to have to figure that one out but for not the team is off to a great start and the defense looks like its getting back to snuff after that poor performance vs LSU

Agree Bac--I think what also is going to need to be a constant source of focus is rebounding, which is what killed the team vs LSU. Jordan Wallace is much improved, but she needs to stay out of foul trouble, and even then, she won't ever play 40min a game. Davenport is still young and raw--her development will be key--and Singleton this year seems like she is someone who can spell time. But even then, this team will always be small, so everyone, from the PG to the center, will need to lock in on rebounding.

Agree Bac--I think what also is going to need to be a constant source of focus is rebounding, which is what killed the team vs LSU. Jordan Wallace is much improved, but she needs to stay out of foul trouble, and even then, she won't ever play 40min a game. Davenport is still young and raw--her development will be key--and Singleton this year seems like she is someone who can spell time. But even then, this team will always be small, so everyone, from the PG to the center, will need to lock in on rebounding.
Well we have 3 bigs coming next year so that really should help going forward!!

I have not looked it up, but I think Fortner was USAB Head Coach when CVS was one of the assistants. Can not remember the year, might have been Pan Am games instead of Olympics. Two old guard WBB coaches.
Not the Olympics, 2004 IIRC. Head Coach was Van Chancellor. Gail G was one of the assistants, Nell was not the third.

I don't remember CVS coaching USA basketball otherwise during her time at RU (she did before RU, I believe). So I think it would have had to have been then if your memory serves.

Not the Olympics, 2004 IIRC. Head Coach was Van Chancellor. Gail G was one of the assistants, Nell was not the third.

I don't remember CVS coaching USA basketball otherwise during her time at RU (she did before RU, I believe). So I think it would have had to have been then if your memory serves.

Okay, curiosity got the better of me. I was wrong. Fortner was HC in 2000; CVS was assistant in 2004. Fortner also coached USAB in the late 90s, CVS in the 1980s!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT