ADVERTISEMENT

Just Announce: Fleck will row the boat all the way to...

In before you know who...
rutgers_block_r.jpg
?

Take a 9-4 team in 2016 and go 5-7 (likely, they play Wisconsin next) in 2017, with 39-0 blowout loss to Northwestern. Nice. He must have a great agent.

When does Ash get his extension?

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-extend-fleck-contract-to-2023/459296263/
Fleck signed a five-year contract when he was hired in January, paying an average of $3.6 million per season — $18 million over the five years — slightly more than the Big Ten average of $3.52 million.

Holy crap that is a lot of money for 5 wins.

And before you label me a "hater," here are what local fans are saying in comments to the linked story:

@jdevine52 This is why I dropped my support last year! It makes no sense. I jumped on board with the new stadium in 2009 and jumped out of the boat last year.

How does he do it? Guy is making more than Paul Cryst and hasn’t accomplished a thing.:

@rms316 , can't remember if Cryst took a 5-4 B1G recorded and turned it into a 2-7 record??

Only the weatherman can do a worse job and still get an extension.

Seriously! He has done nothing on the field as yet to warrant an extension. As far as GPA in school goes. Were not the majority of players here before he got here? He can't take credit for bringing in student athletes until his own recruits arrive.

Where is Coach Fleck's integrity in accepting this contract extension? Why doesn't he truthfully admit that he does not deserve this after his first year with a losing record? I would have much more respect for him as an adult and coach if he would admit this to his players, fans and the public. He still have 4 years to go on his first contract. Is the U that concerned that he will leave without 2 more years on his contract? But, this is how college football and basketball operate. The coaches and big money drive the decision-making process. Very troubling!

@rms316 Time to turn on the bilge in this boat, its sinking.

highest GPA? but poor athletes? like northwestern?

Amazing, the U and Fleck will boast of the highest GPA ever, but then turn around and use the excuse that these are not his players the cupboard was bare blah blah to excuse the poor performance on the field.
The GPA was going up every year under Kill/Claeys according to the U and we finished 9-4.
Seems they want it both ways.

The con job of all con jobs.. just got worse. How he was able to talk his way into $17,500,000 was beyond me.. Now they throw more at him?

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
You know that's coming, right? LOL
It's no secret I am not a fan of Fleck's antics. OK, it's "enthusiasm." That aside, no coach deserves either $3.5 million/year without proving themselves first at the P5 level, and certainly a 5-7 season following 9-4 does not warrant an extension at that level of pay. Ludicrous. There are more hilarious comments in the story I linked--the locals are not happy.

Now that I said the above, the SN curse will kick in and Minnesota will go undefeated next year. I'll start looking for crow recipes now.

Reactions: drewbagel423
I don't dislike PJ one bit - and I think this extension is premature and unwarranted.
In the GS-TN thread I agreed that the "haters" had come out. And while there may be Fleck-haters out there.. this contract extension doesn't require a "hater" to think this is absurd.

I wanted Fleck (despite his antics) back when I thought he would be a bargain we could cut and run from cheaply if it did not work out... Minnesota must have brain freeze... the first contact was too much.. to extend off of this season.. that is just nuts.

Maybe this rolling 5-year deal is just something that was negotiated when he first signed. The idea being, how can he recruit if he cannot tell players he will be their coach for their whole time at MN?

I disagree with that because now.. that is the expectation.. and the moment they do not extend his contract to get that 5 years thing.. then recruits will know he is on the hot seat. And the fans and even the general public like us.. we are all shocked by this and not in a good way.

MN could have just waited a couple years to talk extension.. or, perhaps, the best thing might have been to negotiate a 7 year contract up front with the buyout ending after 4 years... that way they could have extended him after year 3 with some more feeling for what he could do.. he could SAY to recruits he had a 7 year contract.. and if year 3 wasn't enough to judge him then after year 4 MN or Fleck could walk away. Since Fleck took a 5 year deal.. I think a 7 year deal that was really a 4 year deal is something he might have taken as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking and RUSK97
Like all things fleck, it's all show. It's just an added year that does nothing to his contract terms. Now he can say "see I'm not going anywhere".

Reactions: knightfan7
Like all things fleck, it's all show. It's just an added year that does nothing to his contract terms. Now he can say "see I'm not going anywhere".
Of course he's a showman. But do you consider what he did with the Broncos all show?

He's going to have to straighten out their major OL issues before they can stop water from pouring into the boat. According to the broadcast last week they were down to 6 OL total. I believe 3 OL starters, two of whom were grad transfers, are done after this year. They have a few '17 OL recruits who better be ready. I did like the QB they put in late vs MSU. He looks like he could be an exciting player for them.

Gotta give props to him & his agent. They have used all the open P5 positions to the best of their advantage and parlayed it to a relatively unearned extension. That Minny were scared enough to pull the trigger is on them. Maybe they inserted a larger buy-out clause, just in case a bigger fish came to look in the boat.

Could the Tenn rumors have been true? Is Minnesota that scared he would leave and want to ensure he is retained. Pretty wild.

Minn must think Fleck is the guy. So they are making a statement to the team, he's your coach so you better sign up. They are making a statement to recruiting: stability.

Though I find their extension a tad excessive, I don't blame them. You don't want a revolving door of retread coaches. Fleck is young and has proven he can coach over his career.

Remember, Frank Beamer would be fired by his 3rd or 4th year at VaTech today. Too much impatience today.

Good for Minn to go against the trend.

Minn must think Fleck is the guy. So they making a statement to the team, he's your coach so you better sign up. They are making a statement to recruiting: stability.

Though I find there extension a tad excessive, I don't blame them. You don't want a revolving door of retread coaches. Fleck is young and has proven he can coach over his career.

Remember, Frank Beamer would be fired by his 3rd or 4th year at VaTech today. Too much impatience today.

Comes with tyhe gobs of money thrown at coaches no coach should make this imho

Nothing to worry about as long as the assistant pool gets a bump to hold on to Capt. Kirk and the continuing implementation of the Wild Gopher O.

Reactions: redking
I don't really think it's going against the trend at all. It's in line with the trend. I continually "rail" against ADs handing out extensions and money off short term results. In this case, I'd say it's not even a short term positive result, maybe that's the trend they're setting.

I don't just look at last year, I've said many times look at 3 out of the last 4 years, 8+ wins overall and .500+ in conference so this year is a step back both in overall record and conference record. How do you get any sort of contract boost on that, I don't know.

It's just symptomatic of athletic directors these days. We'd be no different if presented similar circumstances on short term results.

I like Harbaugh and don't really give a hoot about his eccentricities but what's the need for a lifetime contract if that report is true. Just keep extending it as necessary. I mean if you ever wanted to fire the guy how does that work, what's the buyout.

I don't know if it's other people's money syndrome or what but you rarely see any sort of fiscal responsibility with athletic directors.

I don't dislike PJ one bit - and I think this extension is premature and unwarranted.

This. Probably more like the University sees potential for PJ to improve their program.
Their Recruiting Class next year is #33 in the nation ( very high for them) and while 5 wins this year is not impressive they did lose close ones to B1G powers. Lost by 3 Points to Michigan State and 7 Points at Iowa.

This. Probably more like the University sees potential for PJ to improve their program.
Their Recruiting Class next year is #33 in the nation ( very high for them) and while 5 wins this year is not impressive they did lose close ones to B1G powers. Lost by 3 Points to Michigan State and 7 Points at Iowa.
Yeah, disappointing season for them I'm sure. But if they can hold on to that recruiting class, there's no reason to think he can't turn things around. It's easy to say he took a 9-4 team and went 5-6, but I think most of us don't know the internal issues. Interesting that the same people here who understand why Ash took a 4-8 team and went 2-10 can't seem to understand there may be transitional issues at Minny too.

Of course he's a showman. But do you consider what he did with the Broncos all show?
Not at all but lots of guys succeed for a year or two in MAC and then don't pan out. He recruited 1 first round draft pick at WR and that paid huge dividends for him. My concern with Fleck is the concern I have for all coaches who aren't proven coordinators. This isn't Clemson, he doesn't have an unlimited budget. If he makes a bad hire he is stuck with it and doesn't have the history to fix it. If you recall when our O was a disaster under KC Schiano was quoted as saying I couldn't help fix it because I didn't understand it.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
This. robably more like the University sees potential for PJ to improve their program.
I took a look at their last few recruiting rankings and they were in the low 50s. So on its face you say wow 15-17 or so spots up but I've said before I see recruiting as tiered pyramid with the tiers getting wider as you go down. So in my mind it's about the same tier talent wise even though the number may be labeled 15 or so spots higher.

They obviously see something in him, all ADs do right when they make these kind of moves. I'd prefer something more concrete and consistent.

Not at all but lots of guys succeed for a year or two in MAC and then don't pan out. He recruited 1 first round draft pick at WR and that paid huge dividends for him. My concern with Fleck is the concern I have for all coaches who aren't proven coordinators. This isn't Clemson, he doesn't have an unlimited budget. If he makes a bad hire he is stuck with it and doesn't have the history to fix it. If you recall when our O was a disaster under KC Schiano was quoted as saying I couldn't help fix it because I didn't understand it.
Same for Ed Orgeron and he's got two good coordinators at LSU, one who I really like in Aranda.

I was reading their boards during their slide early in the season and according to their fans it seemed like Orgeron was too involved and got in the way especially on offense. They needed a meeting between the coordinators, Orgeron and the AD to hash things out and then things got better. The fact that that had to happen to me speaks volumes of the HC.

To me a HC is part cheerleader but it can't be all he is. I want a HC who can run things as an executive but also is capable of doing a deeper dive when necessary to fix things. If Aranda or Canada leave then what? LSU's money certainly helps BUT lots of schools have money but they all don't hit a home run in the coordinators they choose. The HC has to be smart about choosing them.

Same for Ed Orgeron and he's got two good coordinators at LSU, one who I really like in Aranda.

I was reading their boards during their slide early in the season and according to their fans it seemed like Orgeron was too involved and got in the way especially on offense. They needed a meeting between the coordinators, Orgeron and the AD to hash things out and then things got better. The fact that that had to happen to me speaks volumes of the HC.

To me a HC is part cheerleader but it can't be all he is. I want a HC who can run things as an executive but also is capable of doing a deeper dive when necessary to fix things. If Aranda or Canada leave then what? LSU's money certainly helps BUT lots of schools have money but they all don't hit a home run in the coordinators they choose. The HC has to be smart about choosing them.
True but when you have the resources to poach a successful P5 coordinator risks are greatly diminished

ADVERTISEMENT