ADVERTISEMENT

Just ran into a 7 foot incoming Frosh at Rocky Hill Wawa..

DennisHajekRC84

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2001
Grabbing a coffee this morning and see this big long young man in Rutgers Gear. Knew he wasn't on BB team and we don't have a men's Volleyball team so I said hello and asked what sport?
He said he's an incoming frosh and excited to be playing Club Basketball (we have that?).
I suggested he give a Walk-on tryout a shot or Practice player but he said his studies would get in the way. Of course have no idea of his skill level but he looked like another Miles in body and mind lol.
Somebody pass the word to Pike that this kid will be around campus next year. Seriously tall and long.

If he's 7 feet and playing club basketball at Rutgers, he probably stinks.

You don't have to be that good to be 7 ft and on full scholarship somewhere

Hey, I played Intramural BB on College Ave and many times we would go over to the Livingston Gym for pickup games and dominate whenever a MBB player or 2 dropped by to play...😀😀😀😀

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Buddy of mine was on a DII staff and asked me to check on a kid that was playing on an AAU team out of the Upper East Side of NYC. I told him there were no good programs up there. There were only teams sponsored by fathers whose kids couldn't make the other programs. Said the kid was 6'10 and they practiced at the 92nd street Y. Lived 6 blocks away. Strolled over walked in kid was a legit 6'10 was surprised. Was there for 10 minutes (8 minutes too long) kid had no chance of making the average high school team in NJ much less playing DII basketball. Not all height is created equal.

Reactions: RUsty Screw75
Hey, I played Intramural BB on College Ave and many times we would go over to the Livingston Gym for pickup games and dominate whenever a MBB player or 2 dropped by to play...😀😀😀😀
Livingston intramurals bball was the best at RU. There were guys that played there that were all state players in Highschool. I played in that league and it was tough. Great competition and kept me fit.

Reactions: newell138
Livingston intramurals bball was the best at RU. There were guys that played there that were all state players in Highschool. I played in that league and it was tough. Great competition and kept me fit.
No Way. The A League on College Ave was the best.

The Fraternity League on College Ave was probably better than Livingston... 😂

I used to play pickup at the Metuchen YMCA against the "Human Eraser". Always amusing, especially on the small court.

For anyone under the age of 40, the "Human Eraser" was Marvin Webster played about 10 years in the NBA, many with the Knicks. 7'0"...

No Way. The A League on College Ave was the best.

The Fraternity League on College Ave was probably better than Livingston... 😂
Lol - no chance! Andrew Baker (was a pretty good football player too) played in the Livingston league - he was all state NJ 2nd team. I would take Livingston all stars vs any all star team bar none. Intramural that is. Lol

Lol - no chance! Andrew Baker (was a pretty good football player too) played in the Livingston league - he was all state NJ 2nd team. I would take Livingston all stars vs any all star team bar none. Intramural that is. Lol
When I was at Rutgers, Livingston intramural leagues were very poor. College Ave (Busch for flag football) were widely considered the "main" leagues.

I was actually Rutgers Intramural Athlete of the Year 🤣

or perhaps as he said he is all in on the academics part and and isn't interested in the commitment to play ball at that level. He had that super-intelligent look (and I'll leave it at that). Why do people have to be so judgmental and negative all the time these days. (yeah and I'm judging he was a smart kid based on his looks and what school he was going to).

When I was at Rutgers, Livingston intramural leagues were very poor. College Ave (Busch for flag football) were widely considered the "main" leagues.

tee'd up and I'll walk away and leave the ball sitting there lol. (since I like your posts 99.9% of the time :)

Rudy Manne was on my intramural soccer team. Rudy was a great guy. Shared a few beers in our time. Probably saw no more than 10 minutes a season. Being 7’ was his best basketball attribute.

Played on the same court as Rick Barry at Warinanco Park in Elizabeth. Ricks brother was actually better but blew out his knee in high school. Never got chosen for his team. He imported a whole team every time I saw him. Five of them would come in some old jalopy and rule the court for their stay!

Reactions: hoochie302

Our A League Team on College Ave went to the state TOC one year...lost to Princeton in the final. It was amazing, their intramural team ran the same Princeton offense....drove us nuts...lol

or perhaps as he said he is all in on the academics part and and isn't interested in the commitment to play ball at that level. He had that super-intelligent look (and I'll leave it at that). Why do people have to be so judgmental and negative all the time these days. (yeah and I'm judging he was a smart kid based on his looks and what school he was going to).
It's possible sure... I turned down smaller schools for basketball to go to Rutgers Pharmacy

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

Nice - My team came in second a couple of times. When I was there, our top players could play against anyone. Too bad they never had an intramural champions tournament. Would have been awesome for bragging rights.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
Our A League Team on College Ave went to the state TOC one year...lost to Princeton in the final. It was amazing, their intramural team ran the same Princeton offense....drove us nuts...lol
That's awesome! I think semifinals is as far as my team made it in basketball for intramurals but we won dodge ball whiffed ball handball all sorts of things lol...

The main one was we won flag football then the intramural director put an all star team together to play in tournaments. We won the NJ state tournament 4 years in a row. Won the northeast regional tournament one year. School flew us to nationals and we lost in the quarterfinals to OSU

I was the QB... no big deal... kyk wishes he had a flag resume like that 🤣

Baker came out of Trenton High and was an awesome hoops player who could dunk with the best. Had a great RU football career. His girlfriend lived in the Towers so I ran into him every so often. Currently work with a 6'7" guy who played Div 3 (Vassar). He never was able to dunk. Very low athletic ability. Just height. Did well in D3 and seems to think he could play in the B1G which is a bad joke. Comical really.

FB team played at Cook in 1992

I’ll never forget my 1st ever game I ref’d. Under 6 foot league at Livingston Gym. One of my 1st few calls as an official was goaltending.

remember this guy who was like 5’ 7’’ named Mervyn? Had sick ups.

Reactions: Scangg
I’ll never forget my 1st ever game I ref’d. Under 6 foot league at Livingston Gym. One of my 1st few calls as an official was goaltending.

remember this guy who was like 5’ 7’’ named Mervyn? Had sick ups.

I played in that league a few times …it was fast paced. No such thing As an illegal screen either. :)

Baker came out of Trenton High and was an awesome hoops player who could dunk with the best. Had a great RU football career. His girlfriend lived in the Towers so I ran into him every so often. Currently work with a 6'7" guy who played Div 3 (Vassar). He never was able to dunk. Very low athletic ability. Just height. Did well in D3 and seems to think he could play in the B1G which is a bad joke. Comical really.
He was a very good bball player. He scored 30 on me - lol. I scored a bit on him but man could he play. If he was 2 inches taller, he would have been a great college bball player.

I played against linebacker Brandon Renkart in the pharmacy vs engineering flag football game.

We whooped them and I faked Brandon out really badly on one play with a pump fake running right by him and avoided a bunch of sacks just getting it off in time... he was pretty pissed...

After the game he was yelling at me saying "let's play tackle" over and over 🤣... I was just like ummm no why would I want to do that... as a QB against a D1 linebacker... no pads... I'll pass

I remember playing intramural basketball at the college ave gym and there was a team called the Werblin All Stars or something like that. They would utterly destroy every team. I remember playing them and they beat us by like 60 or something. They played full court press and would dunk all over. Had some guys who could've legit been on our mens team at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT