ADVERTISEMENT

Just win 2 of 3 at home

gordel1

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2006
This team is too deficient offensively to likely not win a road game unfortunately. However, the good news is that winning 2 of 3 at home should get us across the finish line especially if we beat Maryland. I think the good news is while the gap on the resume is a lack of road wins is that Rutgers doesn’t have any bad losses so in my view those two balance one another in addition to the very weak bubble.

20-11, should do it,maybe, but we've lost our margin for error. The Selection Committee looks at recent record as much as overall record, and last 10 games we are 5-5. Winning 3 of our last 6 would put us at 8-8 to close out the season, not exactly a hot team entering the B!G Tournament. Have to win at least one there, or it's the NIT I'm afraid.

Last edited:
20-11, should do it,maybe, but we've lost are margin for error. The Selection Committee looks at recent record as much as overall record, and last 10 games we are 5-5. Winning 3 of our last 6 would put us at 8-8 to close out the season, not exactly a hot team entering the B!G Tournament. Have to win at least one there, or it's the NIT I'm afraid.

I don't think the Committee cares about recent record. That Trae Young Oklahoma team went 2-8 to close out the year and they still got in.

20-11, should do it,maybe, but we've lost are margin for error. The Selection Committee looks at recent record as much as overall record, and last 10 games we are 5-5. Winning 3 of our last 6 would put us at 8-8 to close out the season, not exactly a hot team entering the B!G Tournament. Have to win at least one there, or it's the NIT I'm afraid.
Rutgers NCAA outlook depends on performance in the last 6 B1G games as well as how other teams perform.Parity has become the norm but more league teams are winning on the road which puts Rutgers at a disadvantage.Nobody knows the number of NCAA bids the BIG will receive.The higher the number the better the odds for Rutgers to get in with less than 20 wins.

nice rhyme! but NO...2 more will at least get us to First Four..the Big Ten Tournament is also a chance to make up ground..I still think we will officially punch the ticket after Michigan.. Would like to see us get 1-2 more after that, and maybe 1-2 more in BTT..

They no longer are supposed to evaluate the last 10 games - selection is based on the overall body of work, so how we finish shouldn't matter, as per the excerpt below. I think we're in with 2 more wins, given our SOS and body of work, but am not 100% sure on that, whereas I'm certain we're in with 3 more wins (including 2 more in the regular season and 1 in the B1G tourney). Let's hope we win 3 more so there's no worrying...

During the 2018 offseason, the NCAA announced that the RPI would no longer be used in the selection process for the Division I men's tournament. The RPI has been replaced by the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET), a new metric that includes the following metrics:
  • Game results
  • Strength of schedule
  • Location (home, away, or neutral site)
  • Scoring margin — Teams will receive no added credit for victory margins above 10 points. Additionally, overtime games will be assigned a scoring margin of 1 point, regardless of the actual score.[10]
  • Net offensive and defensive efficiency
  • All games will be evaluated equally; there is no bonus or penalty for when a game is played within the season.
  • Quality of wins and losses — The NCAA will continue to use its "quadrant" system, introduced for the 2018 tournament selection process, to classify individual wins and losses. Quadrants are classified as follows, based on the location of the game with respect to the team under consideration and the ranking of its opponent in the NET (men's) or RPI (women's) as follows:
Quadrant Home Neutral site Away
1 1–30 1–50 1–75
2 31–75 51–100 76–135
3 76–160 101–200 136–240
4 161–353 201–353 241–353

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_basketball_tournament_selection_process

I don't think the Committee cares about recent record. That Trae Young Oklahoma team went 2-8 to close out the year and they still got in.
Trae Young drew eyeballs to the TV. There is literally no one on this team that draws.

I agree with the OP, and this makes for some exciting basketball in these last 6 games. Thanks to Pike and these young men for giving us fans an exciting season and an exciting 6-game stretch with a lot on the line. This is more than we asked for or expected when this season started.

The team is facing adversity, and I feel like they need it. It's up to these young men to step up their game, because almost every other team is improving their games. Now is not the time to stall out, or they will fall short and settle for the NIT.

Rutgers should be competitive and close in all of the remaining 6 games. The one that I fear could be a big loss is Penn State, who is playing great and is probably lickin their chops to get back at these guys.

I agree that 3-3 should get the team into the Dance. 2-4 and Rutgers would need a win in the conference tournament to maybe get in. 2-4 and an opening game loss in the tournament, and I don't think Rutgers makes it. And I wouldn't feel like we were screwed over if that happened either.

It depends on what wins RU gets. If we beat IL on Sat. and then No. 9 MD, I think those 2 wins alone would be enough to seal the deal.

20-11, should do it,maybe, but we've lost our margin for error. The Selection Committee looks at recent record as much as overall record, and last 10 games we are 5-5. Winning 3 of our last 6 would put us at 8-8 to close out the season, not exactly a hot team entering the B!G Tournament. Have to win at least one there, or it's the NIT I'm afraid.
Ur making stuff up and ur wrong

Despite all that has gone on our record is still way better than anyone thought so lets just hold serve at our place albeit two very tough games but the RAC is ours and then get some confidence back for the final stretch!!!

Reactions: ILikePike
I agree they have to have the next two. Illinois will be a challenge but if they play well they should win. Michigan is playing much better of late but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

This team is too deficient offensively to likely not win a road game unfortunately. However, the good news is that winning 2 of 3 at home should get us across the finish line especially if we beat Maryland. I think the good news is while the gap on the resume is a lack of road wins is that Rutgers doesn’t have any bad losses so in my view those two balance one another in addition to the very weak bubble.
No ...2 of 3 gets you 2 games closer... to make the Dance in March Rutgers needs 4 more victories... it is what it is.

Reactions: RutgersNYCB1G
We did have a bad loss to the Bonnies.

Interesting that the new rules mentions quality of wins AND losses - all of these very close road losses must count for something then - certainly a lot more than Iowa's 40 point loss at Purdue..there is also the possibility that being so many Big Ten teams are jumbled up at or just above the bubble, that a BTT game could become a defacto "play-in" game for the tournament..hopefully Rutgers will not fall down into that category

Reactions: Scangg
We need SHU to win out. That win is our biggest on our resume right now.

Wins against MD and IL will help our case too

The committee wanted Trae Young in the tournament....they won't care about Jacob Young.

2 wins we sweat a little bit but are in, 3 more wins and we don't have to sweat anything.

I think only 2 more wins is still a "looks like we picked the wrong week to quit drinking" situation. That's a lot of putting the fate in other team's hands.

Omg the committee does not do that. Our schedule plays into our record. Someone in the room would say “hey, maybe the reason the lost down the stretch is because they are in the toughest conference in America with arguably the toughest SOS for the final 10.”

No ...2 of 3 gets you 2 games closer... to make the Dance in March Rutgers needs 4 more victories... it is what it is.
Ur high. Rutgers does not need 12 conference wins to get in. You have no clue what you are talking about. If Rutgers gets 3 more conference wins, they will be on the 8 line. Nowhere close to the bubble

Wow. There's some real misinformation on this thread. First of all, the Committee no longer looks at your last half dozen games and then makes their decision. They look at your ENTIRE body of work. Secondly, please stop thinking you know how many wins we will need to get into the Dance. Right now our NET is 33 well within getting an invite. Yes, we do and should win more games, but to put a number on 2 more, or 3 more or even 4 more is absurd.

Bottom line even with our bad road record, if we hold serve at home, our BODY of work will get us in based on how many Quad 1 & 2 wins we have. Right now we're very strong.

Wow. There's some real misinformation on this thread. First of all, the Committee no longer looks at your last half dozen games and then makes their decision. They look at your ENTIRE body of work. Secondly, please stop thinking you know how many wins we will need to get into the Dance. Right now our NET is 33 well within getting an invite. Yes, we do and should win more games, but to put a number on 2 more, or 3 more or even 4 more is absurd.

Bottom line even with our bad road record, if we hold serve at home, our BODY of work will get us in based on how many Quad 1 & 2 wins we have. Right now we're very strong.

no matter how you try to educate some of these posters they are going to continue to spout out nonsense and post disinformation

you are correct, winning all our games gives us 3 more quality wins, one of which would be a Quad 1 with the possibility that Michigan could also be a Quad 1. The road mark might hold us back in seeding in this scenerio. The road mark will come into play if RU is perhaps 1-5 in these games and then has to make a trip to the B10 semis

Reactions: RU MAN
It shows how far we've come that an NIT bid is a disappointment.
I personally hate that people frame RU basketball 2020 with 30 years of futility. Time to raise the bar. We should expect to be at the bare minimum be on the bubble every single year and if were not that should be considered a failure

Despite all that has gone on our record is still way better than anyone thought so lets just hold serve at our place albeit two very tough games but the RAC is ours and then get some confidence back for the final stretch!!!

If we win the next 2 will you promise to go one whole day without bitching or bad mouthing our players?Pounding Nails

Reactions: TRU2RU
Trae Young drew eyeballs to the TV. There is literally no one on this team that draws.

The committee wanted Trae Young in the tournament....they won't care about Jacob Young.
Fail. Rutgers is in a huge media market that hasn't been to the dance in decades. IF the committee wanted to consider ticket sales and viewers than they will want Rutgers in. Rutgers will bring a massive following if they make it this season. Rutgers or VCU, EastTennessee state etc hmmmmm

Reactions: TRU2RU and RU MAN
Fail. Rutgers is in a huge media market that hasn't been to the dance in decades. IF the committee wanted to consider ticket sales and viewers than they will want Rutgers in. Rutgers will bring a massive following if they make it this season. Rutgers or VCU, EastTennessee state etc hmmmmm

Exactly. I really have no idea how some people get through their day being so wrong on so many things, lol. Personally, I doubt that "attractiveness/ticket sales" matters at all, since the TV money is guaranteed and they simply want the best teams. And if it matters, the TV money is far more than ticket sales, and RU brings TV eyeballs better than most, as we know - it's why we got invited to the B1G. Also, if ticket sales actually matter, all they have to do is look at RU turning out 10K+ to MSG for a regular season game to know that we'll travel. I'd be surprised if we make the dance and less than 5K RU fans show up.

We did have a bad loss to the Bonnies.
The losses to St.Bonaventure and Pitt will come back to haunt Rutgers because they were road or neutral site games that could have provided a cushion against future B1G losses.The game at MSG against Michigan was another opportunity for a win away from the RAC but turned out to be just another disappointing loss.

The losses to St.Bonaventure and Pitt will come back to haunt Rutgers because they were road or neutral site games that could have provided a cushion against future B1G losses.The game at MSG against Michigan was another opportunity for a win away from the RAC but turned out to be just another disappointing loss.
True. But that's all in the past. There's nothing we can do about that now. IMO we need to hold serve and maybe, just maybe we will play one of the road games where we actually come on aggressively and not only score a lot of points but play stifling defense and not wait until six minutes are left in the game to make our move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT