ADVERTISEMENT

Football K Valentino Ambrosio to the portal

No knock on Valentino Ambrosio but he was not the dominant type game changer all teams desire.He was a walk-on from the soccer team. Fans always hold their breath on kicks especially at Rutgers. Statically he was decent on EP’s and FG’s however his leg lacked the ability and strength on attempts over 40 yards. Did he actually hold a scholarship? Or perhaps saw that he was going to have to compete against a some real competition ? Didn’t Schiano always seem to be counseling him even after a good kick? Also , I still remember these words at Greg’s pre camp conference, “ what was good last season will not be good enough this year and going forward.” I’m paraphrasing here but it may just be Greg needs someone who can show the ability to kick from over 45 yards. Ambrosio was never going to do that IMHO.

Never heard of Chadha but there are plenty of walk on candidates I suppose.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
So that’s two possible new kickers for Rutgers. Ambrosio will find a home somewhere and maybe just maybe we find a kicker who can be a threat from beyond the 40-45 yard line.

So that’s two possible new kickers for Rutgers. Ambrosio will find a home somewhere and maybe just maybe we find a kicker who can be a threat from beyond the 40-45 yard line.
Yeah apparently Chadha has a career long of 48. Not sure on Patel but a kicking game that can be leaned on at least a little bit would be nice. I can’t say it’s been the case the past few years. Other than punting that is 😁

That is exactly why this split is at least on the surface an amicable one.Valentino praises and thanks the coach. And we have heard Schiano say over several seasons how he likes this player. It was probably a mutual understanding he would never be getting a stronger leg on the kicks needed to be a real threat to an opponent.

Ambrosio ranked 11th out of 14 PKs in the conference and his longest field goal was the shortest of the bunch. At any rate, in Gleeson’s offense ( pardon the expression) the punter is far more important than the place kicker.

12 of 16 FG’s and 30 of 31 EP’s . The reason he ranked basically 11of 14 was due to our inability to get him closer than the 35 yard line. That was the issue and I’m sure Greg Schiano explained this to Ambrosio that he was not going to be our kicker going forward . Kickers are quirky and unpredictable. It’s like a golfer and the consistency needed to score well . The accuracy part in his kicking was NOT the primary issue. From year one to 2 he never was able to improve the leg explosion rate on his kicks.He’ll wind up somewhere as Ambrosio mentions Greg helping him with this decision. That’s fair and typical of Greg Schiano.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Watched the Minnesota spring game and loved the ending…OT both very good kickers from 50+ now that is what we need. Both were walk ons.

Why would he leave if he had the job?
It is time to call CFB a semi-pro league.
Pay these players millions to play.

Because he was most likely told , “ we’re going in another direction.” The kid could not hit a field goal from beyond the 45 with any consistency. It actually cost us some points last year . If you have that threat it changes the thought process in both sides. I’ll let you research the games where a field goal changes the outcome. The kid and Greg always had a good relationship player to coach.

Met his Dad @ the bowl game and they were very positive and happy with RU.
I would have to agree with those who say the split was amicable. I think Greg will do his best to help the kid find a good landing spot.

The kid from 40 yds in was money if given the opportunity .Beyond 40 yds it was doubtful. Give me a guy like “ The Judge”’Jeremy Ito or San San Te.

Reactions: rumarine
I'm actually sad to see him go. As others have pointed out, he was a walk-on from the soccer team. Considering that, I thought he was developing pretty well.

The thing I liked about him most was that he almost always made really solid contact on the ball. I get that he hasn't developed much range, but he usually struck the ball cleanly. I've seen plenty of kickers over the years who had issues with this key aspect of kicking. Even when he missed, he usually made solid contact and struck the ball well.

I think he can continue to grow into a very good kicker, although perhaps without tremendous range. I sincerely hope we have an excellent replacement ready to step up on September 3rd in Chestnut Hill. Did anyone stand out in the spring game?

Reactions: RUShea and Wolv RU
Watched the Minnesota spring game and loved the ending…OT both very good kickers from 50+ now that is what we need. Both were walk ons.
This.
Watched the same game and was going to post the very same comment. Two University of Minnesota Kickers consistently hitting 50+ yard field goals with room to spare in that game. I think he can find one kicker like that.
BTW- That fixed structure Indoor Practice Facility at Minnesota is sick.

Reactions: Knight Shift
One kicker tries to turn himself into a crappy punter. The other kicker just leaves. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria.

Oh screw you. So you've never made a spelling mistake on a phone. You have to use letters to describe yourself.
You have to use numbers so...

At least you're not easily offended. Imagine if Orwell spelled like you.

You have to use numbers so...

At least you're not easily offended. Imagine if Orwell spelled like you.
Numbers aren't substitutes for real words. They stand on their own. They stand for the year I graduated not some book. What does yours stand for? Single White Asian Into Nudity or something like that? 😜

This.
Watched the same game and was going to post the very same comment. Two University of Minnesota Kickers consistently hitting 50+ yard field goals with room to spare in that game. I think he can find one kicker like that.
Yes , the facility looks great and PJ seems happy with his programs direction. This is the type of facility we need to get us further on par. In the interim I’ m hoping before end off summer an expansion / upgrade to the baseball facility and softball facility will be announced. There has to be NJ corporate sponsors willing to help fund this endeavor. The only thing which lurks ahead of these improvements is a very probable recession facing the U.S. and increased corporate and personal taxes.

This.
Does it have a rowing track around the field so PJ can row the boat?

We all make fun of PJ but he’s an energetic guy who recruits well and knows how to coach. Can’t fault him for liking boats and the sport of rowing. The indoor facility looked really good and their other new facilities are top notch. It shows just how far behind we once were. We still need a practice / all purpose football facility, a baseball upgrade, a basketball arena upgrade, a women’s softball upgrade and that’s going to take 10-12 years to get it all done . Hell maybe longer like 15 years. Where is our Boone Pickens ?

Numbers aren't substitutes for real words. They stand on their own. They stand for the year I graduated not some book. What does yours stand for? Single White Asian Into Nudity or something like that? 😜
Never met anyone who hates acronyms. Fairly certain they “stand on their own” as well - SCUBA is really starting to catch on. And yes, I’m a white (cauc)Asian, and in theory I like nudity but it depends on whom.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Never met anyone who hates acronyms. Fairly certain they “stand on their own” as well - SCUBA is really starting to catch on. And yes, I’m a white (cauc)Asian, and in theory I like nudity but it depends on whom.
Don't be rediculas. 😜 I never said I hated acronyms. I don't even hate the board spell check police.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT