ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas game - where is everyone sitting?

RU1977

All American
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2006
Thinking of buying tickets online - looks like they are $55 each for decent seats.

Living room with a nice glass of single malt scotch in my hand.

the everlasting debate: sit with the Rutgers people in the crappiest seats in the house or buy good seats online.

No matter which option I choose I always regret it (except of course when @RUScrew85 and I got to sit in the 50 yard line box seats at Nebraska and when we, along with @RutgersRaRa @demauroj sat in the indoor club seats on the 50 yard line at Michigan [thumb2]. No regrets there whatsoever)

Buy through Rutgers

Helps with the Bowls if we are fortunate this year

I usually do, but the seats are usually pretty bad. Would rather sit with Rutgers people in better seats, and it looks like better seats are easier to get for this game.

I usually do, but the seats are usually pretty bad. Would rather sit with Rutgers people in better seats, and it looks like better seats are easier to get for this game.
I'm too lazy to look. What are the flights and options looking like to get to Kansas in terms of cost and timing?
Hotel?

On the 50 visitors side 89 each on stub hub. Fly halfway across the country to sit in crappy seats does not interest me or my 5 friends going. Sunday morning flying to Dallas to watch the Boys and Giants. Unfortunately those were 425 each to sit in the 20. Happy about having two types of barbecue on the trip. Me and my friends treat the away games as mini vacations. Always a great time traveling and watching Rutgers play football and basketball.

Sections 21 or 22 look good. Better to sit higher up or low there?

That page is just a google search page.
1. Where does one fly to? Kansas City?
2. Airline(s) that fly direct?

fly to KC

use the Google search page to find out the rest of the info you need
Google is your friend.
so is Expedia.com

Multiple people on this board and the RT have commented that they were unable to find rooms in Lawrence. that's where my intel came from. I've had a room since March.

Just did a quick search on Trivago and came up with 3 hotel options in Lawrence - all less then $150. Granted there isn't a ton of lodging there (it's not exactly a major metropolitan area). But, it's something for those of you who need a little incentive.

Why Topeka and why not Kansas City--Don't you have to drive west from KC through Lawrence and then to Topeka?

2 reasons:
Topeka is a much shorter drive to Lawrence than KC ( more important probably for a Saturday morning kick off at 11:00am) .
Hotels rates incredibly lower in Topeka vs. Lawrence ( and KC).

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'm in Section 21, Row 46. Hopefully many other Rutgers fans will in that area. Look like decent seats.

I posted this in the other thread but will post here as well to cover my bases. Here's a giant list of things to do/see/places to eat while on your Kansas trip. This information was sent to me by Blazek's parents who live in Lawrence. They each sent me an email of stuff to do and I did my best to sort it all out to post here;

KANSAS CITY:

-If you stay in Kansas City, a good bet is in either in the Overland Park area (Suburbia with lots of food and hotel option) or you can stay in the Plaza district. High end shopping and eating, and good people watching.

-Your bbq should be in Kansas City. Period.

-You must, however, go to at least one, if not numerous, BBQ joints. This is KC's thing, and it lives up to the hype. There are hundreds of BBQ joints the area but you'll find everyone has a different favorite. My must stops are Joe's Kansas City, Jack Stack, and Arthur Bryants. All very different. You'll also read about Gates BBQ, and BB's Lawnside, Q39, and many others. BBQ is very personal, but you cannot go wrong.

-As far as the sites, I'd recommend the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum. It's one of the finest art museums in the country thanks to the Bloch family, who recently gifted 30 pieces of their own (HR Bloch family) including Cezanne, Gaugin, Monet, and Manet. There was a Picasso exhibit a few months ago, and it still may be there.

https://www.nelson-atkins.org

Terrific museum, and it's right near The Country Club Plaza, which is a high end shopping district with good food and drinks. A very walkable outdoor area loaded with fountains and beautiful architecture.

https://countryclubplaza.com

Another highly recommended area is 18th and Vine Historic Jazz District

https://www.visitkc.com/18th-vine

Great jazz and the Jazz Museum, as well as the Negro Baseball Hall of Fame, and very close to Arthur Bryant's (one of better of bbq joints in KC)

LAWRENCE:

-Lawrence is a small town (85,000 and 28,000 students) so most people freak out if they have to drive more than a few minutes to get what they want. Be forewarned, everyone drives their own cars and public transportation is rare

-Lawrence is a terrific college town, and I'd stay there if you can. The campus hotel "The Oread" is beautiful but fills up quickly. You can see the entire county from the top floors and it has a great restaurant/bar on the top. It’s one of my favorite places to sit for a sunset.

- Another choice is "The Eldridge," which is a historic hotel on Mass Street. The newest is Towneplace downtown.

-Mass Street is the main drag in Lawrence where you'll find a bevy of good food options, microbreweries (try FreeState Brewery). And then you have the obligatory chain hotels.

You'll want to drop by "The Wheel," which is the quintessential college bar, and oftentimes named one of the best college bars in America. You can google it. The Wheel is within EASY walking distance of the stadium so you can get there early, and enjoy cheap beer in the bar or in the beer garden. There's a smattering of other bars within walking distance including the bar in The Oread, as well as more divy places like "Bullwinkles" and "The Hawk."

You want to eat at 6 Mile Chop House and Free State Brewery both very good.

A place called Wheatfields has been voted the best breakfast in the Midwest. Everything is homemade!!

A good Mexican place is Salty Iguanna, another good place.

Downtown Lawrence is call Mass Street that is fun to just walk and look, cool place. Silas and Maddeys is the best HOMEMADE ICE CREAM SHOP ANYWHERE!!!

First Watch is a great place for breakfast

Massachusetts Street (Mass Street) is a 4-5 block downtown area. Shopping, boutiques and restaurants are there. Outlying areas have great food as well. It’s the Midwest so be prepared for beef. . We also have a high Mexican population do there are tons of authentic restaurants everywhere. Because it is a college town you can eat anything from you want and most of it is locally grown.

The campus houses an art museum and a natural history museum.

-If you make the trip, make sure you take an hour to visit Allen Field House on campus where the Jayhawks hoop it up and always win, and you can see the original rules of basketball. It's like a cathedral, and you'll enjoy the experience.

If you can get your hands on a parking pass, tailgating right outside of the stadium is a fun time. The stadium is situated at the bottom of a large hill affectionally called "The Hill," where people will be eating and imbibing, and tossing the football. There will be tailgating in the parking lots outside the stadium as well.

I'd guess I'd start at the Wheel (or The Bull/Hawk), and then saunter over to the stadium for game. It's easier than dragging food and drinks around. You'll be able to eat and get your drink on, and then have a leisurely ten minute walk to the stadium.

OTHER THINGS TO DO:

A cool activity is to tour the Holiday Whiskey Distillary in Weston, Missouri (really cool about an hour away), plus there is a wine distillary there as well.

This are is well known for all the Civil War museums etc. there is Fort Leavenworth , a cool place from the Civil War

As you know, Kansas has been lousy, but it's the third game of the year, so it can only be so bad. :)The fans are expecting a better product and talking about how they will likely beat Rutgers , and it's a beautiful time of the year, so the tailgating should be good.

I'm in Section 21, Row 46. Hopefully many other Rutgers fans will in that area. Look like decent seats.

Didn’t get my RU tickets to this Away game.
Are these in the RU visitors section ?

Didn’t get my RU tickets to this Away game.
Are these in the RU visitors section ?

They are on the visitor side of the field. I'm hoping RU people will be there as well..... I don't know what the ticket office will be offering.

Same always get tickets thru RU. Never the best seats but can’t beat sitting among all RU fans. My wife wouldn’t approve of me sitting surrounded by opposing fans and me her either.

Same always get tickets thru RU. Never the best seats but can’t beat sitting among all RU fans. My wife wouldn’t approve of me sitting surrounded by opposing fans and me her either.

This.
However if the game is to be played in a near empty stadium as advertised we can probably move around and create our own sea of red behind the RU sideline on the 50 yard line.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I'll be there. Don't know how much tailgating I will do with the 11 CT start and having the family in town (we're going to try game-day parking). What is the RU section? I'm currently in Section 3 but looking to change my assignment.

Looking forward to seeing the Kansas campus. I hear it's really nice.

RU section . Down by the LockerRooms 20 yards beyond the End Zone

As I said in another thread, in 25 years of going to RU away games the Kansas visitors section 26 is by far the worst section that we have ever been assigned, however considering the attendance at Kansas, I am sure we will be sitting in much better seats then the ones we were assigned.

ADVERTISEMENT