ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas State transfer to visit

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Nigel Johnson 6ft 1 guard to visit per the twitter...former DC Assault player who avg 5.2 ppg last year at KSU

This post was edited on 4/16 9:02 AM by bac2therac

Seems like a backup who did okay when he was given the minutes. Some games not so much.

Still, like you said dc assault ties. I wonder how Batie would do with some more minutes as a backup. I wonder how Rjohnson and Goode have been fairing in practice.

Is he a grad transfer or would he have to sit - thanks

Understand he's a true PG and might be a capable back-up PG when RU needs one..

The one intriguing thing to me was that just about all of this best games were when they were playing top competition....as if he stepped up his game against the best.

20 points vs. # 8 Kansas
17 points vs.#12 Iowa State
14 points vs. #17 WVU
10 points in just 15 minutes against #25 Texas
6 points in just 17 minutes against #3 Arizona

This post was edited on 4/16 11:48 AM by seels2662

This kid appears to have only played 2 years at Kansas State so he would have to sit out. He averaged 5.2 ppg but only 1.7 assists per game. That is not many assists for a true point guard. I would rather have Otis Livingston as a back up point guard who averaged over 8 assists per game and could play immediately and is almost automatic on foul shots.

I know nothing about the kid, but it appears he was not a starter. We have had guards who didn't average 1.7 assists per 40 minutes.

Originally posted by knights1212:

This kid appears to have only played 2 years at Kansas State so he would have to sit out. He averaged 5.2 ppg but only 1.7 assists per game. That is not many assists for a true point guard. I would rather have Otis Livingston as a back up point guard who averaged over 8 assists per game and could play immediately and is almost automatic on foul shots.
Adding to your stat list, averaged 17.9 minuets a game and assist stats aren't very good for the his playing time

here's an article about his leaving that had in it:" He was arguably the best player on the floor in both the KU and Iowa State upsets"
http://isportsweb.com/2015/04/08/kansas-state-basketball-loses-another-key-player/

Originally posted by MADHAT1:

Adding to your stat list, averaged 17.9 minuets a game and assist stats aren't very good for the his playing time

here's an article about his leaving that had in it:" He was arguably the best player on the floor in both the KU and Iowa State upsets"
http://isportsweb.com/2015/04/08/kansas-state-basketball-loses-another-key-player/
The starting point guard averaged 3.3 assist per game. Maybe it just the nature of their offense. Seems like the assists were spread throughout the team.

Seems like he could help.

Like others said, he was not the starting pg so he did not have starter minutes.He would sit a year.

I think he'd be a good back up. Who knows how long Sanders will stay. I think Sanders stays 2-3 years.

Very difficult to judge a non-starters stats. Was he in for just a few minutes at a time and didn't really get into the flow of the game before he came out.

To see he was productive against the better teams is a positive sign.

I guess Eddie has his connections with the DC Assault but in this case the kid will have to sit out a year and take up a scholarship. I just hate to see it when we have top notch NJ kids right in our own back yard and we don't even ever connect with the top coaches in the state. In the case of Otis is supposedly a 3.8 grade point average student and made first team All State by the Star Ledger picking him as one op the top 5 kids in all of New Jersey. It seems as if we don't even connect with any of the top coaches in our own state. If this is true I think we are making a huge mistake that will cost us down the road.

1.7 assists per game in 17.9 mpg is a solid number. This is college, not pro basketball. And the A-TO ratio also is solid. I know little about the player, just commenting on the numbers.

Melo Trimble, who (imo) was the best PG in the B1G averaged 3.0 assists per game in 33.5 minutes per. By the way 3.0 assists per game was good for 12th in the B1G. Myles Mack, at 4.2 assists per game in 35.4 minutes per was 8th in the B1G.

This post was edited on 4/16 2:32 PM by RutgHoops

KState has had a rash of transfers out (five total) since the season started and ended....mix that in with the graduations and Former Illinois Coach Bruce Weber on the hot seat and suddenly, kids are heading out of Manhattan.

I think Johnson could help and ironically was a kid we couldn't get involved with late because RU had already secured the verbal of Shane Rector at PG.....then the Rice stuff occurred, Rector reconsidered his options and decommitted going to Missouri.....Rector did not do much his first year at Missouri and got suspended for a marijuana arrest with a couple of other Tigers.

Johnson at least appears on the uptick and after sitting a season, figures to have his last 2 seasons at RU. The problem with taking on transfers is that they take a full year of transfer on your count for scholarship and they play their one season....if they graduate in time or after their 4th full season, they are still "recruitable" because they fall into the 5th year transfer category, where schools are now looking at anyone with a redshirt in their past and if they have graduated.

If you take a Johnson and he sits next year and only plays one year at RU, then he's potentially here for just one season (as a worse case scenario)....I would like to think he'll play both years at RU, but after seeing how intense the recruiting is for the "one Year Rental/Grad school market", it's almost as good as recruiting a JUCO, just essentially a market to find an immediate starter, similar to JJ Moore was for RU a year ago.

Johnson would presumably be a contender to play with Sanders or free Sanders up to play off the ball, since he is more PG than SG. Daniels graduates so he would assume some chance to start here after Sanders leaves (assuming he beats out the players recruited or on the roster like Mike Williams etc.)

Out of hs he was a 3 star kid. He seems like he did well in school with offers from William & Mary, American, Cornell, Bucknell, and George Washington.

Rivals

Most of the schools that offered out of HS are good academic schools....RU can certainly offer a strong degree for long term.

Originally posted by higgins3:
Like others said, he was not the starting pg so he did not have starter minutes.He would sit a year.

I think he'd be a good back up. Who knows how long Sanders will stay. I think Sanders stays 2-3 years.
A guy from Kansas State isn't coming here to be a backup.

No one transfers with the idea to be a backup. Everyone wants to start or at least play major minutes, and successful players will "fight" for their minutes. I'm sure Nigel is no different. Honestly, I'm not sure I would want a guy who would settle for being a seldom used backup. I like the fact that Nigel has played against tough competition and has experience. It won't be a shock for him to play at this level.

You guys are right, he doesn't have to be a backup. Rutgers could run 3 guards. Although at the 2 position, 6 1 is a little small.Still, he could be a two. Williams is probably 6 foot. There is a reason guys like him are taking long shots. Johnson is not taking Corey Sanders spot and Sanders will be here for 2 years i think.

Seems to be a good player and solid in clutch situations. EJ got on him really quickly and must think highly of him.

Originally posted by essexknight:
No one transfers with the idea to be a backup. Everyone wants to start or at least play major minutes, and successful players will "fight" for their minutes. I'm sure Nigel is no different. Honestly, I'm not sure I would want a guy who would settle for being a seldom used backup. I like the fact that Nigel has played against tough competition and has experience. It won't be a shock for him to play at this level.
Agree , but might feel he has a good shot being RU's starting PG after sitting a year.
But wouldn't be surprised if he picked a program where the starter would be gone after he gains eligibility
and picks a program like that. .

Originally posted by ruman:
he played big against big teams - thats not a backup at RU

Posted from Rivals Mobile
that's what impresses me about this kid. Big games against big opponents but then that all raises the question as to why the overall struggle finding his minutes

Originally posted by seels2662:
The one intriguing thing to me was that just about all of this best games were when they were playing top competition....as if he stepped up his game against the best.

20 points vs. # 8 Kansas
17 points vs.#12 Iowa State
14 points vs. #17 WVU
10 points in just 15 minutes against #25 Texas
6 points in just 17 minutes against #3 Arizona

This post was edited on 4/16 11:48 AM by seels2662
Definitely something that we could use in the big ten

Originally posted by ruman:
he played big against big teams - thats not a backup at RU
It could be if Corey's as good as advertised. Besides, we don't really have a backup PG, so getting one sometime would be nice even if he does have to sit out the year.

Originally posted by higgins3:
You guys are right, he doesn't have to be a backup. Rutgers could run 3 guards. Although at the 2 position, 6 1 is a little small.Still, he could be a two. Williams is probably 6 foot. There is a reason guys like him are taking long shots. Johnson is not taking Corey Sanders spot and Sanders will be here for 2 years i think.

Seems to be a good player and solid in clutch situations. EJ got on him really quickly and must think highly of him.
So a player who has proven it in college is definitely not better than one who has yet to make it to college?

Not exactly an argument you want to be making...

Cyrock, good point. Still, I think Sanders has a better freshman year than Johnson did in his sophmore year. Regardless of the situation, numbers are numbers. Johnson was a 5 ppg player and I think Sanders can be a 8ppg player his freshman year here.

For me, that is something I would bet a couple dollar dogs on. Let me know if you're interested in the bet.

Sanders will average way more than 8ppg when he makes it here...

After all, who on the team can tell him not to shoot?

Haha, you said to me I shouldn't compare Johnson to someone who's never played a game and then you say Sanders will score way more than 8ppg when the kid we're talking in the conversation about is scoring 5ppg.

I don't look for Sanders to be a savior. He is a great kid and if he scores more than 8ppg I would be very happy. I don't want to put high expectations on him and he shouldn't either as that can create too much pressure. 8ppg and we win 12+ next year.

Originally posted by cyrock3:
Sanders will average way more than 8ppg when he makes it here...

After all, who on the team can tell him not to shoot?
I agree, way more. Myles Mack averaged 9.8 was a freshmen in 26 minutes per game. Sanders has more offensive talent. I think 14 is about right, maybe more.

Forget about placing expectations on him..... he's not reading this board.

People say recruits read the board at times. Who knows. Nonetheless, I find it hard to place expectations on a kid that's never played a college game. I know he is talented, but he has never gone against big ten defense. I am a huge fan of Sanders. I think he is a great kid. Still, I can't put realistic stats on a player from hs.

The big is different,too. It's not like many other leagues. Kid's are smarter, They know how to stop a press, the coaches are better. Sanders will be good if he can play defense and score, but he will be incredible if he can bring selfless play, which I think he will.

I didn't see much defense from him this year, but I think hell step it up. If you don't play defense at the guard position your team will get wrecked, no matter if you score 14 ppg or not.

ADVERTISEMENT