ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas to the Big Ten? I'd prefer Texas A&M and Missouri.

I don't think Stanford delivers the market, but they probably provide more access to the market similar to what RU does for NY/NJ. While olympic sports don't drive money, its certainly beneficial on certain levels to bring the school with the most athletic national championships. Finally, the extra lure for ND doesn't hurt. It also provides an easy travel for USC/UCLA.

Notice how Tiger got mentioned in the first B1G Live show after the announcement of USCLA, but not OJ.

Why does Stanford deliver Bay Area eyeballs ? Elite privates aren’t the local favorites, with the possible exception of BYU and ND because of the religion tie. UNC fans outnumber Duke fans 10:1 in their state. Cal is the team to bring in. Recent success doesn’t matter (just look at us). Only reason to take Stanford is if that gets ND too.
I am in favor of bringing in both

It also gives you a 4 game road trip with reasonable travel

According to wikipedia, Cal and Stanford have almost identical average attendance (even though Cal has the larger stadium).

There is no merit to the argument that Cal has far more fans and support.

All I would say about this is to be careful of what you wish for. No one knows how all this will play out 3 or 5 years from now. To make assumptions that down the road RU is going to be in the highest tier of college football is not guaranteed. There will eventually be pressure from the powerhouse football programs ( which isn’t RU) in these top 2 or maybe 3 conferences for a larger share of the economic pie. Don’t assume that all programs are going to be treated equally even though they are in the same conference. Kind of funny that people are hammering a school like Kansas with a huge basketball tradition and their football program is certainly in the RU neighborhood.
Disagree. You're thinking about whether RU "deserves" to be in the top tier, based on historical football and hoops performance (the big two) and clearly we don't. But that's not what is driving conference realignment. It's markets and potential eyeballs and we're the only major football program in the NYC Metro market (which includes CNJ/NNJ) and we've shown the ability to get eyeballs from that #1 market when we're good - and we're now showing what we can do with university commitment and support. Business people know this stuff, which is why we will be in any top tier realignment scenario.

ND half-joined the weakest P5 conference as much to protect its ‘brand’ via soft ACC schedules and good records most years as it did to allow for ongoing rivalries against other teams

ND will avoid the Big10 like the plague since they’d have to play the full conference slate and never see 10 wins or playoffs again.
It has always been about artificial maximum accumulation of wins to keep the myth of their divine superiority afloat. The question is whether maintaining that myth is worth taking a hit in the contractual pocketbook to (I guess) let merchandising from the myth make up the difference?

God I hope not. They bring nothing. I'd rather Oregon, Washington, heck give me Cincy over Kansas.
They bring a BIG W for football and a GREAT basketball program with history. Not the worst team to add

They bring a BIG W for football and a GREAT basketball program with history. Not the worst team to add
…LOL the last time we played them they effed us so hard, even rutgersal said “*********k!”

Disagree. You're thinking about whether RU "deserves" to be in the top tier, based on historical football and hoops performance (the big two) and clearly we don't. But that's not what is driving conference realignment. It's markets and potential eyeballs and we're the only major football program in the NYC Metro market (which includes CNJ/NNJ) and we've shown the ability to get eyeballs from that #1 market when we're good - and we're now showing what we can do with university commitment and support. Business people know this stuff, which is why we will be in any top tier realignment scenario.
False. You don’t know that. ‘Business People’ know there will always be changing landscapes, new product opportunities and evolving models to maximize revenue. Today we are in that model. Tomorrow we might not be.

Reactions: bac2therac
False. You don’t know that. ‘Business People’ know there will always be changing landscapes, new product opportunities and evolving models to maximize revenue. Today we are in that model. Tomorrow we might not be.
Of course I don't "know" it (nobody on this board or anywhere "knows" the future), but it's my strong opinion that there are no likely scenarios where we get frozen out, for the reasons I mentioned. Yes, things will change, as they always do, but RU will be in the #1 media market in the US for at least the next 30-40 years, and the importance of that is extremely unlikely to change.

Reactions: thegock
I honestly thought this was some sort of "necro-post"

uhh... no. not happening.

mark it down.

Fair enough. I’d argue ‘unlikely’ rather than ‘extremely unlikely’ that we’ll be excluded but that’s not my point.

My point was that your claim of definite, ongoing inclusion is false.

Programs with less cache and/or smaller audiences today may not always be that. Everyone’s trying to get ahead, always. Some will gain and some will fall.

Last edited:
They just added UCLA, who won the Basketball national championship 2 years ago, and USC, which always has the potential of being a good program. Kansas just does not bring in any money, and would be dilutive to the league payout. No one who reduces the payout is getting in.
What are you talking about that UCLA won the basketball national championship 2 years ago? Trying to figure that out.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: RUnTeX
I have no idea what "picking up steam" means in this context. What I do know that there wasn't a bit of steam about USC and UCLA until six hours before the formal announcement. So I discount the importance of steam pickup.
I always love Dr. Worm Posts, but the doctor has raised the bar with this one!

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Syracuse fan forum had someone post a few days ago in the USC/UCLA thread that since RUTGERS/Md were added to the B1G, neither had beaten OSU or Michigan. None of their posters has corrected the record for the night that Mrs. G and I danced on the block R at the 50 yard line. They can't even admit it up in Siberia.

Reactions: Knight Shift
That’s true for every one. Even ND. based on that reasoning the BIG shouldn’t expand at all because maybe their circumstances will change for the worse.

So Kansas to B!G is ...full of hot air!

MO
Kansas wasn't my rumor. It's literally what is trending.

I haven't gotten a chance to get back on board for a couple of days but what the hell makes people think that Missouri and Texas A&M wouldn't jump at the chance of being in The Big Ten? Missouri still wants to be in the Big Ten until today.... I don't care what their fans say because they're not making the decisions. You really think that the Texas A&M Board of Regents, School president and athletic director are happy with ESPN/SEC after they were backstabbed and humiliated in public just a year ago? You really think they want to share space with The Longhorns? Continue to look SEC presidents in the eyes after its been made clear that they were conspired against? The SEC knows they messed up which is why for the first time in conference history they quietly added a buyout clause (exit fee). Apex predators don't do exit fees. The Big Ten is the top dog in this whole thing. Getting into Texas recruiting would be great for our schools in the Midwest.

Last edited:
Reactions: William J. Leggett

I haven't gotten a chance to get back on board for a couple of days but what the hell makes people think that Missouri and Texas A&M wouldn't jump at the chance of being in The Big Ten? Missouri still wants to be in the Big Ten until today.... I don't care what their fans say because they're not making the decisions. You really think that the Texas A&M Board of Regents, School president and athletic director are happy with ESPN/SEC after they were backstabbed and humiliated in public just a year ago? You really think they want to share space with a Longhorns? Continue to look SEC presidents in the eye after they knew that they were conspired against?
Where is it trending?

what is next Uconn and Temple to SEC rumors?
The SEC isn't smart enough to come to the Northeast... I'm sure they could if they wanted to but they're fan base couldn't comprehend the purpose. They'll start uttering magical words like tradition and Heritage. Tradition is nothing but a nickel holding up a dollar.

That’s true for every one. Even ND. based on that reasoning the BIG shouldn’t expand at all because maybe their circumstances will change for the worse.
Notre Dame is making $15 million dollars a year from NBC... tradition is nothing but a nickel holding up a dollar. College football is going to change whether Notre Dame wants to or not.

I haven't gotten a chance to get back on board for a couple of days but what the hell makes people think that Missouri and Texas A&M wouldn't jump at the chance of being in The Big Ten? Missouri still wants to be in the Big Ten until today.... I don't care what their fans say because they're not making the decisions. You really think that the Texas A&M Board of Regents, School president and athletic director are happy with ESPN/SEC after they were backstabbed and humiliated in public just a year ago? You really think they want to share space with The Longhorns? Continue to look SEC presidents in the eyes after its been made clear that they were conspired against? The SEC knows they messed up which is why for the first time in conference history they quietly added a buyout clause (exit fee). Apex predators don't do exit fees. The Big Ten is the top dog in this whole thing. Getting into Texas recruiting would be great for our schools in the Midwest.
Missouri has about as much chance as Kansas. They literally add no value to the conference. While Texas A&M wasn’t happy with the decision to bring in Texas, this is a school run by its wealthy alumni, and there is no chance they walk away from all of their rivalries to play a group of school they have no history with. Will never happen.

Syracuse fan forum had someone post a few days ago in the USC/UCLA thread that since RUTGERS/Md were added to the B1G, neither had beaten OSU or Michigan. None of their posters has corrected the record for the night that Mrs. G and I danced on the block R at the 50 yard line. They can't even admit it up in Siberia.
Maryland has also beaten Michigan (but not Ohio State, but at least took them to OT once)...

Reactions: thegock
Missouri has about as much chance as Kansas. They literally add no value to the conference. While Texas A&M wasn’t happy with the decision to bring in Texas, this is a school run by its wealthy alumni, and there is no chance they walk away from all of their rivalries to play a group of school they have no history with. Will never happen.
Which rivals? They walkout of The Big 12 already.

They already did this to move into the SEC.

They already did this to move into the SEC.
IN the b12 A&M had tu, tech and baylor as rivals

IN the sec they instantly had Arky and LsU (each over 55 meetings each) come 25 they’ll be back to 3

it should be clear by now…traditional rivalries matter NOT…money does

Mizzou had a rivalry with Nebraska in the Big 8 days. Mo - Ill have a big rivalry with the Cubs - Cards and did with the Bears - Cards years ago. Iowa - Mo would be an instant rivalry.

Because realignment is all about teams that add value that can be immediately monetized.

who has accomplished that?

Texas A&M
Nebraska
Rutgers
Missouri
Utah
Colo
USC
UCLA
Maryland
Texas
OU
ND (can)
Stanford (can)
A few ACC teams can

Kansas, iowa state, Texas tech, WVU, tcu, wash state, the Oregon schools, the Az schools and so on, cannot.

it wasn’t our athletic pedigree that got us in the B1G. Yay for good geography!
Oregon might be like Nebraska... not abig market.. but a fair sized national interest.. makes all teh games in our good markets a bit more valuable.. ratings = money.

Missouri has a good sized market.. like Rutgers.. but like Rutgers doesn't bring any demand outside their market.

We just have to trust the experts and consultants for the B1G to figure out what's best finanically.. but OP was right re: TV markets.. ATM and Mizzou are no slouches. Mizzou is next to Illinois and below Iowa.. natural rivalry stuff possible, ATM a bit of a stretch.

Colorado is an interesting idea. AAU.. state school.. intermiate destination for USC/UCLA.. decent market.. if they can pull in Denver market... #17 .. if they have other pull in surrpounding small markets it could help. Colorado pop is only 21st ammong states.

Get the steers. Keeps them away from the sec and more money for the B1G. Win win.

PS no meth U
The B1G’s response to the SEC’s grab of Texas and Oklahoma was fantastic…even if USC and UCLA initiated it. However, the “end-all” play would have been Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and UCLA to the B1G more than a year ago. It would have been checkmate.

ADVERTISEMENT