ADVERTISEMENT

Keep your heads up, Scarlet Knights !

Sep 11, 2006
Keep your heads up, Scarlet Knights !

And I mean both the players and fans. They made things happen in teh 1st to hang with and even lead a legit number 5 team. If they can do it for a half, they can do it for a whole game. I suspect we.. meaning THEY.. are just missing a few pieces. Some depth.

I hope everyone sees what is possible. Focus on the positives.. eliminate the negatives... (oh my god.. that's some show tune lyrics, isn't it?). Well, it is a common expression for a reason... it makes sense.

You can do a lot with HOPE. So have HOPE.

Everbody KEEP CHOPPING!

Need an upgrade on the OL which isn’t easy to fix. Very difficult to win in this conference with absolutely no running game. The young QB has the tools, the question is eventually will he understand and see defenses and where he needs to go with the ball. Need more playmakers at WR. The defense is getting close, they will really miss Izien next year.

Reactions: RW90
We need a QB coach and competent OC in the worst way. Gavin has talent, kid has grit. But he’s also trying to force things. Someone also needs to teach him how to put some touch on his balls.
We pulled enough rabbits out of our hat to make it an exciting first half for sure. We play like we did in the first half vs MSU we might just play spoiler!

We need a QB coach and competent OC in the worst way. Gavin has talent, kid has grit. But he’s also trying to force things. Someone also needs to teach him how to put some touch on his balls.
We pulled enough rabbits out of our hat to make it an exciting first half for sure. We play like we did in the first half vs MSU we might just play spoiler!
Like I mentioned in the OC candidates thread, I'd still give a shot to Kevin Decker the Fordham OC and see if he can make his Heupel/Briles offense in the FCS work in the FBS.

IMO we could use a new OC.
I thought Nunzio did a great job until the first series in the 2nd half. We never score on those and they are always 3 and outs. They got away with what worked in the first half and started getting cute with the shuttle pass to Langan, wildcat crap. I think that messed up the tempo for Gavin and Michigan made adjustments. It was al down hill from there. I don't blame Gavin at all for the INT's. Teel was no different when young. Keep playing him and he will learn. He definitely has a presence and an "it" factor. Also, jury is out on Nunzio because Brown is not back there. I would be happy to keep him there. I always thought he was being groomed for OC anyway.

Sports will fool you, but last night our football team fooled me twice. First half fooled me, then the second did.

Reactions: JRZEER
Like I mentioned in the OC candidates thread, I'd still give a shot to Kevin Decker the Fordham OC and see if he can make his Heupel/Briles offense in the FCS work in the FBS.

That sounds fun and exciting on paper but I think we all know that BIG Defenses will shut down those offenses. The BIG is a grind. Depth and size are the biggest needs.

Gavin showed he can be a legit BIG QB and he’s still 19 years old. He will be fine.

That sounds fun and exciting on paper but I think we all know that BIG Defenses will shut down those offenses. The BIG is a grind. Depth and size are the biggest needs.

Gavin showed he can be a legit BIG QB and he’s still 19 years old. He will be fine.
I don’t know that at all and that offense if installed right (no guarantees like anything else) can work fine in the B10 the same way it works in the B12 and the SEC. One of the articles I posted in that OC thread referenced Phil Bennett and how in 2014-15 Saban said Baylor’s offense hasn’t reached him yet but he knows it’s coming and how do I stop it. Doesn’t sound like a coach who doesn’t think it can work in the SEC. He himself had come around and run a more open offense at Alabama.

Baylor went toe to toe with MSU in a bowl game. Riley took UGA into a shootout using it in the playoffs. LSU had a record setting offense using it on their way to the NC. It took a stellar UGA defense to hold Tenn but most others this year couldn’t. Kiffin used a tempo offense at Ole Miss last year and this. Last year it was with Matt Corral as qb slinging it and this year with two bruising RBs. Freeze used it at Ole Miss too. Leach is bowl eligible 2 years ina row now using it. If that kind if open tempo offense can work in the SEC for sure it can work in the B10.

I thought Nunzio did a great job until the first series in the 2nd half. We never score on those and they are always 3 and outs. They got away with what worked in the first half and started getting cute with the shuttle pass to Langan, wildcat crap. I think that messed up the tempo for Gavin and Michigan made adjustments. It was al down hill from there. I don't blame Gavin at all for the INT's. Teel was no different when young. Keep playing him and he will learn. He definitely has a presence and an "it" factor. Also, jury is out on Nunzio because Brown is not back there. I would be happy to keep him there. I always thought he was being groomed for OC anyway.

The 1st int WAS on Gavin, just like some of the early int.s we're on Teel. What you look for is a learning curve.

That is something that I have also thought of. But he must have had success in high school, to be so highly touted. How did those kids catch his throws, and/or not deflect them into the hands of the defense?

And LOL, I'm so immature, your phrase made me laugh..

A strength of GW is his ability to run. We are not using that skill set for an obvious reason. We have no back up QBs, Vedral can’t throw, Simon is very limited. Wimsatt can’t get injured so they do not want him risking injury. Next year we need a decent back up so Wimsatt can use his entire skill set. Get better at reading defenses this year and then expand his role and have Sam Brown to expand the run game. There is a future for this offense. It will not be elite but it has the potential to be better, especially if the new OC can identify it’s strengths and then design a system that exploits them. I am hopeful.

Sports will fool you, but last night our football team fooled me twice. First half fooled me, then the second did.
I thought they played a good physical half of football. Then the depth disparity between UM and RU showed in the second half.

A great point was made about what we perceived as a strength early on was 4-5 decent RB’s. One of those potentially is possibly an elite type in Brown but as is unfortunate he went down with a foot injury and is out for the season. The other backs are serviceable and perhaps able to carry the load for a game or two but that’s it. Like many others WR, TE, RB and QB back up mind you not a space taker upper a real player who starts as 2 and can give us production. The Oline is in its first year together all first 12. I expect several frosh to take a few spots next season. The OC position will be an interesting subject that also needs solving post season 22. Nunzio wasn’t the problem for all the expert board coaching staff. The initial first down pass to Shameen is as big a part as any for what transpired 3 consecutive interceptions by Wimsatt . Who knows how Gavin reacts with a first down instead of not seeing the DB playing under. Great for Michigan not so fantastic for RU offense. To those who believe Rutgers can consistently or should be more than we are in year 2 + are beyond being honest. We are 2 years from where it is intended to go. Next year 7-5 - 6-6 is more likely for this squad. BTW: Gavin’s accuracy issue can be solved . He just needs proper coaching and for the pupil to work his butt off from this point on.

A strength of GW is his ability to run. We are not using that skill set for an obvious reason. We have no back up QBs, Vedral can’t throw, Simon is very limited. Wimsatt can’t get injured so they do not want him risking injury. Next year we need a decent back up so Wimsatt can use his entire skill set. Get better at reading defenses this year and then expand his role and have Sam Brown to expand the run game. There is a future for this offense. It will not be elite but it has the potential to be better, especially if the new OC can identify it’s strengths and then design a system that exploits them. I am hopeful.
You remember he was injured twice on running plays--- at temple game that sidelined him for weeks and almost a concussion at Minnesota. I'm sure they are way cautious until his lingering hits wear off.

Reactions: RUBOB72
You remember he was injured twice on running plays--- at temple game that sidelined him for weeks and almost a concussion at Minnesota. I'm sure they are way cautious until his lingering hits wear off.
I absolutely remember that, which is why I believe they don’t want him to run the ball on option plays. combine That with the absence of Brown as the featured back the defense can stop the run without any extra help. Thus there are a full complement of DB’s. facing Wimsatt on every down. I also remember that Jamarion Grant was never the same after his injury so I am hoping that Brown returns at a full 100%.

I hope that last night's INT fest is what causes Schiano to finally take the coaching of the QB position seriously.

I absolutely remember that, which is why I believe they don’t want him to run the ball on option plays. combine That with the absence of Brown as the featured back the defense can stop the run without any extra help. Thus there are a full complement of DB’s. facing Wimsatt on every down. I also remember that Jamarion Grant was never the same after his injury so I am hoping that Brown returns at a full 100%.
I hope that last night's INT fest is what causes Schiano to finally take the coaching of the QB position seriously.
And at just turned age 19 were you being chased by 300+ lb. Linemen. He was pressing and most would be apt to throw multiple int’s . A new OC or QB coach can only express and teach so much with delivery, and habits . He can’t teach touch or the urge to do to much when restraint is necessary. The surrounding pieces on this offense needs a B1G upgrade and influx of talent. Let’s hope Schiano can be active on that this post season in the portal. I would assume contacts by teams have been ongoing at most schools.

That offense works if you have the players and they know the fundamentals. Tennessee made Alabama's secondary look foolish.

Georgia made Tenneesee look stupid. Georgia is rightfully number 1 as of November 6,2022.

ADVERTISEMENT