ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Sargeant throwing a wet blanket on things

I don’t see us as high as Lunardi has us at 8, but I also don’t see us out or playing in the First Four. Gut tells me once things shake out we’re a 10-seed in Albany or Cleveland.

Reactions: GORU2014
Most have no respect for Sargent. He is a complete tool in the vast majority of Rutgers news items however in this instance he is very accurate. Personally , I have said the same.... wait until the Rutgers name is named and posted on selection Sunday....too much bias all around...I have been a Rutgers football and Basketball fan ( season tickets in both) since 1967 just prior to entering college ...much longer than the majority posting here daily...I lived the good MBB years and suffered under inferior coaches and AD’s who didn’t give a crap...the answer is by hook or crook Rutgers MBB team have more to play for than Michigan... if # 20 Michigan loses Thursday they will still make the Dance... get a decent seed and location and even perhaps stay in the Top 25... those are the facts ... Sargent gets clicks but is correct in pointing things out... The B1G est MBB game in many many years...,

Reactions: Scarlet Knut
Shut everyone up like Palm and Sargent and let’s beat Michigan on Thursday. I ll be in Indy on Thursday doing my part

Truth be told we’re not an 8 seed as Lunardi has nor as we are a first 4 in squad as Palm has us

We re in between probably a 10 seed now and probably why it’s critical we win on Thursday.

Would have preferred to play Ohio State or Purdue then Michigan but a win vs Michigan will be very sweet indeed

Not going to bother reading it since I think it's essentially simply a case of stirring the pot. -So, in addition to whatever Sargeant might have written about, the earth could also get sucked into a black hole or struck by a meteor, but other than those scenarios...RU is DANCING!

Wow. Of course, there’s a 5% chance that Rutgers doesn’t make it but he presents absolutely nothing new and yet he writes this ridiculously stupid article.

Last edited:
We are in. Period. 100% CLICK BAIT my friend.
I prefer to be more certain... Thomas denied 3 times...I certainly hope you are correct but he is doing what most others hear and see on the boob tube... there is still media bias and conference sectional bias amongst the committee... just win on Thursday and all is good for Rutgers.

I prefer to be more certain... Thomas denied 3 times...I certainly hope you are correct but he is doing what most others hear and see on the boob tube... there is still media bias and conference sectional bias amongst the committee... just win on Thursday and all is good for Rutgers.

“Media bias”? The media WANTS us in! We’re THE biggest story in the nation this year since SDSU’s Star has faded. Think about the storylines here!! Regardless, he’s feeding into people such as yourself, hungry and overly-skeptical, which I get lol!! Honestly we were all the talk at the Hoboken bars last night..all night long...by everyone I saw.

I clicked and had no problem with the article. It pointed out the woes we've (wrongly) experienced at the hands of the selection committees on different sports (lax, women's bball, 2006 football). It wasn't an anti-RU article and I enjoyed the attention for RU. What I hated more about these articles in years past was how irrelevant we were this time of year.

I'm glad he wrote that article and hope that Pike has it taped up in the locker room. It will help keep the team focused, especially considering that we've never defeated UM in men's basketball and will need all the focus we can muster.

I clicked and had no problem with the article. It pointed out the woes we've (wrongly) experienced at the hands of the selection committees on different sports (lax, women's bball, 2006 football). It wasn't an anti-RU article and I enjoyed the attention for RU. What I hated more about these articles in years past was how irrelevant we were this time of year.

It was slanted to stoke uncertainty. Same material could have been presented as reassuring. That’s what is wrong.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Our seed is going to be nowhere near the bubble. Not worried. Could be a moron on the committee but the vast majority have us squarely in. I feel safe

The article is fine. Jeez, what a bunch of whiney bitches.

Love you BAC & AYN but I agree with Willis. Its his job to generate content and mouse clicks. Would you prefer there was no coverage? And if you did read the article, it mostly says we should feel good about being in.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
There is media bias Nuts but I ‘ ll give you the opportunity to deny that there is not media bias ... perhaps in the northeast areas people are aware of our team but there are media people in the West - South - Midwest who don’t care if Rutgers gets invited...and committee folks are based in many locales and think much different than you or I or for that matter most Rutger’s fan base... We will know next Sunday and if Pike and boys get the call I’m all in... Depending on what goes down against Michigan could very well determine RU’s NCAA fate...

Rutgers ...Just Win ... erase any doubt and send Wisky a message ...that ‘s our next game against the number 1 seed... eliminates any shred of uncertainty... GO RU !!!!!!!!!!!!

Most have no respect for Sargent. He is a complete tool in the vast majority of Rutgers news items however in this instance he is very accurate. Personally , I have said the same.... wait until the Rutgers name is named and posted on selection Sunday....too much bias all around...I have been a Rutgers football and Basketball fan ( season tickets in both) since 1967 just prior to entering college ...much longer than the majority posting here daily...I lived the good MBB years and suffered under inferior coaches and AD’s who didn’t give a crap...the answer is by hook or crook Rutgers MBB team have more to play for than Michigan... if # 20 Michigan loses Thursday they will still make the Dance... get a decent seed and location and even perhaps stay in the Top 25... those are the facts ... Sargent gets clicks but is correct in pointing things out... The B1G est MBB game in many many years...,
I don't have a problem with Sarge or this article.

Reactions: gregkoko
The thing I find frustrating is that the goalposts seem to be continually moved back by some when it comes to RU. Best home record in the country...might not be enough; needed to get another road win...got it; might not be enough, have compiled a 20-11 overall record, 11-9 conference record, while playing in what most regard as the toughest league in the nation; might not be enough. -Now another hurdle is introduced regarding what happens in the B1G tourney.

Hey, I totally get it. We haven't been to the Big Dance in forever and when you have that kind of track record it takes a lot convincing to change the minds of doubters. ...But enough is enough. We're in, and absolutely deserve to be so..

None of these supposed hurdles are new. It’s a dynamic situation with hundreds of teams playing thousands of games and compiling hundreds of records that in turn create oodles of various things to consider. All for a selection process. Happens every year. If you weren’t up for it, you should have tapped out before the season started. I’m glad we have sportswriters covering it.

Whine, whine, whine.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Not to be an RU homer but I can’t take anyone seriously who says we may not be in the tourney this year.

The resume is already there.

Stop worrying people, seriously! We are 100% in and not in a play-in game, even if we lose by 20 in the first round of the B1G. The quad 1 win against MD sealed us being in and the quad 1 win on the road at Purdue, addressing the biggest hole in our resume, got us to at worst a 10 seed, regardless of what happens in the B1G tourney. Now, sure, let's win some more, since it's fun to win, but we don't "have" to win to be a seeded team in the Dance.

Reactions: rutger80
Doomsday is when Sargeant it out of a job.

Not clicking this garbage piece that is clearly written just for clicks.

I think we’re in. But that doesn’t mean I let out a loud complaining vocal fry scream every time someone writes an analysis addressing our chances and I don’t like it.

He calls the article “doomsday scenarios” but they aren’t scenarios at all.

Is Sargeant the writer that sounds like Daffy Duck when he asks a question at RU media events?

GO RU

There is media bias Nuts but I ‘ ll give you the opportunity to deny that there is not media bias ... perhaps in the northeast areas people are aware of our team but there are media people in the West - South - Midwest who don’t care if Rutgers gets invited...and committee folks are based in many locales and think much different than you or I or for that matter most Rutger’s fan base... We will know next Sunday and if Pike and boys get the call I’m all in... Depending on what goes down against Michigan could very well determine RU’s NCAA fate...

If you think a P5 school making the tournament for the first time in three decades isn’t a huge story, nationally, I don’t know what to tell you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT