ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Sargeant throwing a wet blanket on things

Nuts where did I say in any post that we aren’t a huge story? ... don’t start that crap... What was said in my previous posts is there is still media bias outside your world and mine... we love the team, coach and storyline but others don’t care ... if they did care....Sargent , Palm and their ilk would say the same ....when you are on CBS National tv ...on a Sunday afternoon... attempt to make Rutgers appear unworthy of a place at the table it pisses us off..Hope you’re not disappointed Nuts....GO RU!!!!!!!

I agree this is pure bullshit. Yes i guess there is some remote chance but there is no way my friends. It’s a lot more interesting if they create some remote possibility. In 91 I sweated big time. I called fatty myself on fan who said temple is in but us not so much. I am not worried at all. Breathe easy

I think we’re in. But that doesn’t mean I let out a loud complaining vocal fry scream every time someone writes an analysis addressing our chances and I don’t like it.

I love you willis...but that wasn't analysis

That was a puff piece...literally filler

And it was crappy

In edit: to be clear I have absolutely no problem with him writing it. It was just crappy. As in poor.

Reactions: Plum Street
I love you willis...but that wasn't analysis

That was a puff piece...literally filler

And it was crappy

In edit: to be clear I have absolutely no problem with him writing it. It was just crappy. As in poor.

It was a crap piece . If he put any effort into it and actually laid out scenarios how rutgers wouldn’t make the tournament then fine. But that was all Bs. This is news nowadays ?

Reactions: bac2therac
there was no point for a negative article, he could have waited until if/when RU lost its game vs Michigan and then played out scenerios. Newsflash. South Carolina and NC State will not be the schools stealing RU's bid

Reactions: Loyal-Son
My gripe would be how does Purdue warrant consideration unless winning the B1G... that ain’t happening ... and Indiana still being talked about with a less than 500 in conference record at this point... I know there are many rooting to see Rutger’s name called but some of this media needs to be called out... what has fatso Mike said” the Johnnies are on the bubble”...

His job is to question and to report and sometimes play devil's advocate and yes antagonize a fan base...News is not sold by yes men and suck ups.Maybe in your world it is..Not in mine.. We have not done anything in 29 years!! Let's gain some street cred before they start dropping roses on us.

I think the article isn't about RU making the dance....it's an indirect shot at the program basically saying "yeah but".....or that RU really isn't good enough to Sargeant.

When you place RUs resume on paper next to about 12 to 15 other schools, it looks the same on paper. The problem is a media problem, not a Rutgers problem.

When RU fans here were stating that the road games mattered more than beating Maryland or whomever at home, it wasn't that it was true, it was just about closing the loop more than the resume itself.

I'll say it again, we watch a lot of CBB here and RU looked like a NCAA team since November, but that was my observation. You either see it, or just refused to do so.

Now that the 20 wins are in the books, the quality wins are in the books, the quality efforts on the road that were a play or two away are in the books, what else is there??

I dont care about the articles written. What is really the issue is RU is now in a major conference in both sports. And while 2005 and 2006 was very real and legitimate in football, there was "yeah but, the Big East etc....

What's changed now isn't making the dance....lots of teams make the dance in other leagues. RU making the dance as a Big East Conference member didn't happen....and because it didn't happen, it's really part of history, but it's not part of Big East history, all apologizes to Geoff Billet vs GTown.

This season changes perceptions of the Sergeant's, the Carino types with the "yeah but you haven't made the Dance since.....

When RU has their name called, it's part of the B1G....our resume was cemented by winning 11 B1G games...not the A-10, not the AAC.....winning record in the B1G means something....we didn't get there in the Big East back then in hoops.

Winning in the Big East or being .500 is usually an automatic qualifier.....even being 2 games under .500 in the current Big East, still acts as an automatic qualifier as being good, same in the B12, the ACC most years, being. 500, means you are legit....... So is being 11-9 in the B1G for RU hoops.

It just takes getting used to for some regional "eastern media" folks....winning B1G games is just as tough as winning them in the old Big East, home or away. RU, PSU and Maryland have all made the dance from "the midwestern based B1G".....it just takes getting used to for those media people following hoops in the tristate area in NY and NJ .....for PSU it's the Phila media market having to not just cover Villanova now........in the DMV, it's Maryland and not Maryland and Georgetown...

For the NY tristate media market, it's not Cuse, not UConn, not St John's etc....it's RUTGERS.....just takes time to adjust and get used to...

Last edited:
His job is to question and to report and sometimes play devil's advocate and yes antagonize a fan base...News is not sold by yes men and suck ups.Maybe in your world it is..Not in mine.. We have not done anything in 29 years!! Let's gain some street cred before they start dropping roses on us.
This is not news. its click bait. as you say, to antagonize a fanbase. If Sargeant thinks any of these doomsday "scenarios" have a legit shot at happening, I'd bet Sargeant $5k on it and give him odds. You can play devils advocate with anything. He's playing loose with the devils advocate role with this one. for click bait. and yes. it worked. Hooray for journalism!!!

There’s nothing wrong with the article. He prefaced by saying the chance is remote and then throws out a bunch of unlikely scenarios. He explicitly states (unlike Palm) that these are not his views but rather he’s trying to take the most devils advocate type approach possible. My gripe is that they shouldn’t have put it in writing like this and instead should’ve done a RANT podcast where it would be appropriate to chat through all the different scenarios - good and bad. How is it possible they haven’t released one of those things in over a month?

Agreed

Rutgers is in the Big Dance----no doubt about it and no scenarios of conference tourneys will change that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT