ADVERTISEMENT

Kelvin Troy update

Wow

I did not know any of this and I find it
Amazing. Glad he had had a satisfying life out there

Great story — everybody loved Troy. Great player and a great representative of the University.

But the story is not quite fair to Abdel Anderson, an equally great RU basketball alum and representative, who actually guarded Bird most of the night in that 1978 NIT game. (Anderson led RU with about 16 and Bird had about 23 for ISU while James Bailey only played about half the game with foul trouble.)

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
Really enjoyed (with the exception of finding out Kelvin's wife died of cancer in 2017) the article. Kelvin was a joy to watch.

Loved the spread in SI when he was named among the top defensive players in the country.

https://www.si.com/vault/1979/12/03/824211/putting-a-lid-on-the-basket

Last edited:
My wife and I were at that NIT game against Larry Bird/Indiana State. Man, I'm old!

Reactions: Rutgers8086
I had the pleasure of getting to know Kelvin a little by playing with him on an Industrial league hoops team along with his fellow Lakewood alum Darius Griffin. Kelvin was as tough as nails on the court and played with force and a scowl but off the court he was a great guy and had a great sense of humor. I had no idea he had gone to Ireland but what a great honor and big time congrats to a great guy and Loyal Son.

Great story — everybody loved Troy. Great player and a great representative of the University.

But the story is not quite fair to Abdel Anderson, an equally great RU basketball alum and representative, who actually guarded Bird most of the night in that 1978 NIT game. (Anderson led RU with about 16 and Bird had about 23 for ISU while James Bailey only played about half the game with foul trouble.)

James hit that critical base line jumper with a few seconds to go. Huge play

Reactions: Rutgers8086
I remember watching the Shore Conference Championsip at Brookdale College when Kelvin hit 2 free throws to win it for Lakewood with no time left on the clock.

My wife and I were at that NIT game against Larry Bird/Indiana State. Man, I'm old!

During his second season at ISU, Bird was named an All-America and led his team to the NIT quarterfinals, where it lost to Rutgers, 57-56, after a controversial ending. In this photo, Bird and coach Bob King confront a referee after the buzzer. Both felt a foul should have been called on the game's final play. (AP)

http://rutgersbasketballhistory.blogspot.com/2018/03/rutgers-57-indiana-state-and-larry-bird.html

Kelvin was behind bailey, Copeland and Anderson his frosh year but moved into then starting line up his soph year after Hollis copleanf graduated

I was at that game against Larry bird and Indiana state...Abdel Anderson gets the credit for shutting down bird that day

That team was a victim of a 32 NCAA bid tournament with a lot of auto birth and not many at large bids

By today’s standards ...that was a 6 seed tournament at large team.

Kelvin really came on the scene his soph year after Hollis graduates ...and was the team leader his junior and senior years with a very young team.

His senior year was beyond frustrating at 16-14...losing a ridic amount of close games (including close losses Both NCAA participants indiana and North Carolina (away from the RAC) badly missing point guard play ...as a Black, Troy, Tillman and Hinson 2 through 5 could play with everyone one..:but inexperienced point guard play cost them a lot in close games

James hit that critical base line jumper with a few seconds to go. Huge play
That’s how I remember it. I don’t recall Kelvin at that game but I do remember James Bailey.
That was Indiana State’s last loss before their undefeated season.

Last edited:
abdel anderson update.....a friend of mine who retired from the essex co. police. just got a high end security job for with the f.b.i..for federal buildings
in n.j.....they had a month long training session in nutley. my friend called me and asked if I ever heard of abdel anderson who played for belleville. we are both proud alumni of b.h.s by the way..he said he also played ball at ru.
i of course new of abdel from following hoops at both belleville, and ru.
he was an important piece of that 1976 final four team coming off the bench as a true frosh......abdel just retired from the belleville police dept,and was hired for this security job....my friend took a pic of him. i'll have to find it , and post it here...it's .small world. of what ever happened too....well i never would have pictured abdel as cop....i remember his funny jump shot. it was kind of a two handed push shot...he played center when he .played for belleville.....................anyway that all folks.​

abdel anderson update.....a friend of mine who retired from the essex co. police. just got a high end security job for with the f.b.i..for federal buildings
in n.j.....they had a month long training session in nutley. my friend called me and asked if I ever heard of abdel anderson who played for belleville. we are both proud alumni of b.h.s by the way..he said he also played ball at ru.
i of course new of abdel from following hoops at both belleville, and ru.
he was an important piece of that 1976 final four team coming off the bench as a true frosh......abdel just retired from the belleville police dept,and was hired for this security job....my friend took a pic of him. i'll have to find it , and post it here...it's .small world. of what ever happened too....well i never would have pictured abdel as cop....i remember his funny jump shot. it was kind of a two handed push shot...he played center when he .played for belleville.....................anyway that all folks.​
He was a detective with the Union county prosecutors office. I did not know that he had gone over to the Belleville police Department.

ADVERTISEMENT