ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Pickett

Not-for-nothing but it does help (some) when you have an OL that can pass protect and WR's who can get open. Pitt starts a senior, Jr. Soph, and SR, at WR/TE and we know that they almost always have a damn good OL.

Doesn't mean I don't want, or expect, better but lots of guys have "flash-in-the-pan" games and seasons. It's careers that matter.

Tend to agree with the above. When you can basically treat the QB as the guy who hands off & sometimes runs, it makes defending much easier and getting open downfield much harder. Kill has had to make do with what he has, & the OL basically dictated a power-running scheme with relatively short routes, while some WR options that we thought we had going into spring did not pan out.

Glad Pickett seems to be flourishing, but given a choice 12 month's ago, I'd figure at least 9 out of 10 posters would've been over the moon getting Lewis over Pickett.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Having watched Kenny play football since POP warner through high school, he was groomed to play the QB position by his parents. His dad was his coach through POP Warner and had him playing QB on different travel teams. This kid is football 24-7 all day and night. Now I do not know how much time JLew spent on the position prior to HS, but there is something to be said about having experience vs just being athletic.

I saw Pickett play in high school a few times. He was an interesting prospect in that his recruitment wasn't crazy but I thought he had talent. He seemed to be that regional type recruit who might turn into a pretty good player. I thought the kid had a pretty good arm. He was able to get the ball across the field throwing an out on a line. He also had enough arm to get the ball deep. I thought he also could move pretty well when he had to scramble. He definitely had enough athleticism to run a little and scramble when needed.

I believe his OC in high shool was Fred Stengel, who was the long time HC at Bergen Catholic. So he was well coached. The kid wasn't the biggest kid (like the prototypical 6-4 QB), which probably hurt his recruitment. But he seemed tall enough to me. Plus he played for a public school which hasn't produced any Div 1 talent in the Shore Conference.

I can see why RU recruited Lewis for the offense we were running last year and wanting a QB who could run it 10 or so times a game. Lewis is more suited for that than Pickett, though like I said Pickett can run. It will be interesting to see how he develops. QB's are really hard to predict unless they're an absolute stud. I was surprised to see him playing as a true frosh the other day when I caught the end of your game.

By the way I thought you guys should have thrown the ball that last play when your run got stuffed. You got stuffed on 1st down I believe and would've gotten Pickett on the move and see what happens on that last down.

Thanks for your comments.

I hope Narduzzi starts him in our game against Miami and see how he performs in another very difficult situation.

Aside from his physical abilities the most surprising thing that impressed me about KP was his poise and confidence.

Also I agree that Pitt should have either passed or run a sweep on the last play. They had the middle pretty much plugged.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

this guy talking about likes as if he has an impressive ratio or something
In case no one has noticed the people with the most likes are generally those that are very extreme in their positions. Either super positive or super negative. No different than the political spectrum - no one likes the center, every one wants to hate on the other side.

...oh look, another Chow thread trashing Ash. I’m shocked. Flood was fired 2 years ago and he’s still not over it.

Joe P.

Reactions: Bunk350
If that's the question, your answer is wrong. The correct answer is it's too early to tell. For all we know Oden may yet prove to be the best of the lot.
Just watched Pickett for one possession vs. Miami. I don't care whether or not he throws four interceptions today. At this point he's better than Lewis, and Oden will never start for a Power Five program.

Panthergrowl,

A few might have been critical on Pickett but i think most thought he was a good player. Watched the highlights and he looked great. You had more people open in the highlights than we had all year!

IMO, the reason they liked Lewis the most was size, which they need in the BIG.
Picket is 6'2". Barrett and the PSU kid are smaller, and they're the two best QB's in the league.

Hey the Browns sure could use a guy with your expert talent evaluation skills. You should totally call Jimmy Haslam. I'm sure they will fall all over themselves to bring in a QB guru like you.
You know what Oden and Pigrome have in common? Neither one of them is playing any football games, and neither one of them is here.
@mychaljohn is right. You are an asshat.
Neither Oden nor Pygrome are playing. Right, they have that in common. One was the number one QB at MD, and the other we throw off our team. Call me what you like, but its better than going through life stupid.

What did you and Joe have for dinner last night at the Ash house?
if ash doesnt have us in a bowl in year 3 and 4 i will be hoping we move on just like anybody else. I hope you and your husband Kyle woke up nice and early to get the best deals today.

Didn't intend to trash Ash, but let's face it, his QB evaluation has been abysmal. You never have an argument, only the Flood vs. Ash stuff - sad.

Again, poll the board and see what they think too. Ash has been here for less than 2 years, and Pickett has played like 3 good quarters and that’s the entire basis of your argument. Sad.

Joe P.

if ash doesnt have us in a bowl in year 3 and 4 i will be hoping we move on just like anybody else. I hope you and your husband Kyle woke up nice and early to get the best deals today.

To sum up Chow’s argument, Ash is a failure because in Year 2 he hasn’t found a plug-n-play star quarterback...and he’s not St. Kyle, who was awesome with QB evaluations. Got it.

Joe P.

What did you and Joe have for dinner last night at the Ash house?

Dude, the ENTIRE BOARD can see through your s**t and everyone knows what you’re trying to do. It’s almost all you ever do. Like I said, start a poll asking ‘Does Chow carry a torch for Flood and constantly try to make him look better compared to the current staff?’ and see what you get. For a bonus you can start another one asking if I’m a blind positoid with Ash.

Joe P.

Reactions: 160louis
Again, poll the board and see what they think too. Ash has been here for less than 2 years, and Pickett has played like 3 good quarters and that’s the entire basis of your argument. Sad.

Joe P.
Just watch the game. Yeah, you'll probably say at the end he was 2 for whatever. So far he's hit three WR's in traffic for first downs and all three were either dropped or fumbled, plus he's run for at least one first down. I like Gio, but this kid is better than anyone we have and would have been starting from day on. If saying that is trashing Ash then I guess I am. Fact is the kid is better than anyone we have, and not by a small margin. Just watch the kid play.

Just watch the game. Yeah, you'll probably say at the end he was 2 for whatever. So far he's hit three WR's in traffic for first downs and all three were either dropped or fumbled, plus he's run for at least one first down. I like Gio, but this kid is better than anyone we have and would have been starting from day on. If saying that is trashing Ash then I guess I am. Fact is the kid is better than anyone we have, and not by a small margin. Just watch the kid play.

To say he is better than Lewis at this point is silly. Every single rating/ranking service had Jon Lewis and Tom DeVito ranked ahead, way ahead of Pickett.
And look at their offers as well.
It is an inexact science no doubt, but way way too early to say who will be better among Pickett, Lewis and DeVtio of the 2017 class.

To say he is better than Lewis at this point is silly. Every single rating/ranking service had Jon Lewis and Tom DeVito ranked ahead, way ahead of Pickett.
And look at their offers as well.
It is an inexact science no doubt, but way way too early to say who will be better among Pickett, Lewis and DeVtio of the 2017 class.

Kid may very well end up better than anyone we have but based on this year’s production so was Ryan Cubit. It’s a low bar right now, and even if you put Pickett on our team how does he play with our OL and WR and in the B1G?

Joe P.

Hey..ash didn't choose gio over Pickett in that class. He chose Lewis over Pickett, which anyone on this board would have chosen. The Pitt staff would have taken lewis over Pickett as well. Your incessant propaganda is absolutely mindless..it's like you put no thought into this bullshit you come up with. Anyone would have told you Lewis was the better bet yet you act high and mighty with perfect 20/20 hindsight?

Do us all a favor and join the Pitt board. I'm a Rutgers fan. You're a flood fan. There's a difference.

Dude, the ENTIRE BOARD can see through your s**t and everyone knows what you’re trying to do. It’s almost all you ever do. Like I said, start a poll asking ‘Does Chow carry a torch for Flood and constantly try to make him look better compared to the current staff?’ and see what you get. For a bonus you can start another one asking if I’m a blind positoid with Ash.

Joe P.
Gotta work on that reading comprehension. No where have I praised Flood or said Ash is a failure. All I did was question our having more interest in Lewis than Oden than Pickett and Pygrome. Since you have no argument, as usual, you, Ash, and a few other people who are only capable of being followers resort to your Flood stuff. Pickett us better than any QB we have, period.

Gotta work on that reading comprehension. No where have I praised Flood or said Ash is a failure. All I did was question our having more interest in Lewis than Oden than Pickett and Pygrome. Since you have no argument, as usual, you, Ash, and a few other people who are only capable of being followers resort to your Flood stuff. Pickett us better than any QB we have, period.
Again, perfect 20/20 hindsight there. What an amazing gift you have when any college coach would have chosen Lewis over Pickett, including the Pitt coaches. You could make real money with that amazing ability of yours! Lewis is a frosh but you know EXACTLY how his career is gonna go, right?

Hey..ash didn't choose gio over Pickett in that class. He chose Lewis over Pickett, which anyone on this board would have chosen. The Pitt staff would have taken lewis over Pickett as well. Your incessant propaganda is absolutely mindless..it's like you put no thought into this bullshit you come up with. Anyone would have told you Lewis was the better bet yet you act high and mighty with perfect 20/20 hindsight?

Do us all a favor and join the Pitt board. I'm a Rutgers fan. You're a flood fan. There's a difference.
My bullshit? "Pitt would have take Lewis over Pickett"? PITT DID'NT EVEN OFFER LEWIS. Who puts out bullshit? I thought you followed recruiting.

Your argument is asinine and when people point out the obvious points, you just skate around them with circumstantial stuff anyway. There’s no point in having a discussion with you because you don’t want a discussion, you want to grind your axe.

Joe P.

Reactions: AshCatchEm

Forget about the Lewis comparison. He doesn't have a body of work yet at this level to do a fair analysis.

However, what is painfully obvious is that our current starting QB cannot run nor throw like this kid Pickett and that's not going to change.

I don't know how many Rutgers fans are watching the Pitt-Miami football game but again I am totally impressed with Kenny Pickett's play in the first half so far.

Pickett just drove the Panthers down the field and he just scored on a scramble into the end zone for a 10-7 Pitt lead at half.

Not saying Pitt will win but KP impressed me in the VT (Ranked #25)game and again (so far) in the Miami (Ranked #2) game.

For a true freshman only playing in his 2nd start he shows the poise and confidence of a veteran QB.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
I saw Pickett in high school. And I also saw Pitt's qb recruit for 2018 a number of times in high school.
Nick Patti is better.

Pickett doesn’t look like someone making his first start. Pitt also is trying something new, where the guy who catches the ball from the center, then throws the ball forward to a teammate to move downfield, has anyone heard of this?

Reactions: Kbee3
Forget about the Lewis comparison. He doesn't have a body of work yet at this level to do a fair analysis.

However, what is painfully obvious is that our current starting QB cannot run nor throw like this kid Pickett and that's not going to change.

That I can agree with. Using Chow’s logic that means Russo is a failure at Temple because as a RS Frosh hasn’t played at all this year but literately every other QB they have saw the field.

Joe P.

I saw Pickett in high school. And I also saw Pitt's qb recruit for 2018 a number of times in high school.
Nick Patti is better.
All that matters is sitkowski> Patti. I think the argument for Patti vs chatman is there, but chatman is our second qb so that doesn't matter as much.

Your argument is asinine and when people point out the obvious points, you just skate around them with circumstantial stuff anyway. There’s no point in having a discussion with you because you don’t want a discussion, you want to grind your axe.

Joe P.
OK, put all the crap aside. Pickett is way better than any one we have. Case closed.

Chow is insufferable with his Flood lap naps, but Pickett is far better than Lewis. I don't expect Lewis to be a long term solution for us.

BTW, Chow, it helps that Pitt wasn't a complete dumpster fire for Narduzzi vs what Ash walked into.

Chow is insufferable with his Flood lap naps, but Pickett is far better than Lewis. I don't expect Lewis to be a long term solution for us.

BTW, Chow, it helps that Pitt wasn't a complete dumpster fire for Narduzzi vs what Ash walked into.
Another follower. Never mentioned Flood, and once again, Pickett is better than anyone we have. Watch the game and listen to the guys doing the game. We would have one or two more wins with Pickett.

ADVERTISEMENT