ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Willard rips Big Ten scheduling, says it’s responsible for conference’s national championship drought

He decided to coach in the B1G. The B1G conference didn't pick him. Maybe if he did not screw up his last job, we wouldn't be hearing this.

For all that smack talking about the Big East getting it, only Nova was able to take advantage of it. Maybe that had more to do with the Nova program than the Big East.

Bizarre article. His concern about schedules has nothing to do with the drought and it is all about his January schedule. The Big Ten office didn't say ok Maryland,you are projected 10 so we will give you a lousy schedule. Makes no sense. The reasons for the drought in my opinion are:

1. Big Ten has suffered from poor veteran guard play since 2000. Izzo teams are an exception and they have been to the last weekend 5 times since they won it.

2.League is very physical and loads of teams come in injured tourney time.

3.Style of play historically has been big,physical and defense oriented top to bottom and that does not permit a diversity of play throughout the season. The tourney forces a diversity of play on teams.

In addition to Purdue,who I am not sold on who else looks like a final weekend team? One can argue Rutgers as much as anyone, because of veteran guards and legit depth.

If we want to really discuss this …here is my take

1.) with respect to the other conferences …there isn’t a confrence that consistently that has every road game be a fight for your lives to win …and we have 10, going on 11

2.) as a result of the confrence schedule …and then depth of the confrence, I just think a lot of teams are worn out down come March

3.) I love the confrence tourments. But I wonder if the depth and the competitiveness and then having a confrence tourney makes sense. Big ten was one of the last to actually play a tournament . Maybe the league is better off scraping it . Or, if. Nothing else , maybe ending the scheduke on Thursday and Giving the weekend off before the tourney to recharge for March, the confeence tourney and the big dance. And maybe ending the tourney on Satuday

A candid shot of Kevin Willard as a baby:

2HW2tDM.jpg

Wtf is he talking about? As the article points out he exaggerated on a bunch of stuff.

But this one is equally absurd: "And the one thing about the Big East that I really loved is when you got the schedule, you always knew that no matter who you're playing, they make sure that they're exactly the same amount of time off by weeks, or you're not catching the team off a bye week"

We have bye weeks? Huh?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Gotta say - a whole thread of people saying “Stop complaining about the schedule. You chose to join the Big Ten” is pretty funny considering the constant whining on the football board.

Also - Willard just upset he hired the wrong handlers as assistant coaches. I’m sure he’ll get it fixed this off-season and hire the best recruits uncles that money can buy.

The B1Gs lack of national championships in basketball has less to do with scheduling and more to do with poor coaching in the tournament .

Reactions: MiloTalon13
He makes 2 specific complaints about Maryland’s schedule, both of which are factually incorrect. First he complains that 5 of their first 7 games in January are on the road when in fact it’s only 4 of 7 (since 7 is an odd # probably half the league’s coaches are in the same boat ),
Then he says that in February they have six games in “11 or 12” days when it’s really 6 games in 19 days. Big difference, Not sure what he’s been smoking but I guess he was counting on no one fact checking him.

Agree - don't understand why it's in the best interest of this conference to play its championship on Sunday afternoon right before the selection show; and potentially have a team play 3 days straight soon before a Thursday game. Regarding the article -- Thanks for sharing; And wow - didn't anyone give him a map of the B10 before he signed; yeah in BE days you took a bus from SO to NY or Philly; short plane ride to DC or Cuse & occasional longer ride to Chicago or Wisconsin. What time does he think the games will start when they go to LA.

ADVERTISEMENT