ADVERTISEMENT

Kid from Senegal and more

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I am hearing from many sources that Rutgers is in really good shape with him and that there will be some exciting announcements in 2023 about the efforts Rutgers is making overall in Senegal and neighboring countries. The kid is a player and while there are student visa workarounds with foreign kids like billboards in their country,they are few and far between and hence it seems not to be an NIL issue with him.

I am hearing from many sources that Rutgers is in really good shape with him and that there will be some exciting announcements in 2023 about the efforts Rutgers is making overall in Senegal and neighboring countries. The kid is a player and while there are student visa workarounds with foreign kids like billboards in their country,they are few and far between and hence it seems not to be an NIL issue with him.
Hmmmm... 🤔 at last night's Court Club meeting, Pike said Hobbs was overseas.

Chinyeluuuuuu

Agreeing Putt Putt GIF by ABC Network

Reactions: oncampus and zappaa
Trying to remember the name of the player from Senegal, anyone have it?

I believe this is the kid Hobbs was in Senegal to see - at the NBA Academy in Senegal.
He's from Nigeria, playing at the Academy in Senegal. 6'10" 240lbs
Rueben Abuchi Chinyelu
Video from this summer:

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
…there will be some exciting announcements in 2023 about the efforts Rutgers is making overall in Senegal and neighboring countries…
Interesting comment. Announcements coming in 23 not for the 23 class?
So something that will be announced next year about our relationship to those countries. I’m not savvy enough to know what that might be. But sure is interesting.

Is this about Rueben or Rutgers relationship with Senegal and us having some sort of alliance? So confused

I really hope its about Rueben and we get him to come here

Reactions: MiloTalon13
We are a state university that is supposed to provide opportunities for state residents first and foremost. We need to go to Senegal to get basketball players ??

• Haha
Reactions: Skull83
We are a state university that is supposed to provide opportunities for state residents first and foremost. We need to go to Senegal to get basketball players ??
Good point.
So there are the state kids who we can’t afford to pay to come here and play.
Then there are probably of plenty of kids who would love to play for us but competitiveness comes into question.
Then there are the unicorns…might be one on their way.
In the meantime…Senegal it is!

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
When NJ kids consider Rutgers ahead of ND, PSU, MSU, Georgetown etc., we will recruit an all NJ team. We go after Jersey kids but most of them thumb their noses at us and go out of state. Maybe it changes but maybe it doesn't. I see out of state players at every big name state university. Go down the rosters. You have a death wish for this program if you only want Jersey kids.

Rutgers has 9,000 international students from 125 countries and study abroad programs in 60 countries. This isn’t your father’s Rutgers. Our reach is global.

Not sure if serious

This isn’t a real take is it?

well, according to the university’s mission statement it should be a real take and taken seriously. This is the first part of the three-pronged mission statement:

As one of the leading comprehensive public research universities in the nation, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, has the threefold mission of

• providing for the instructional needs of New Jersey’s residents through its undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education programs;

• Haha
Reactions: RedTeam1994
Exactly. If we win, then more talented players from NJ will want to play for us. Mission accomplished.
Yes . Win at all costs . Save for a sandusky type situation!
I see we all feel that way too! We need to win!

Last edited:
Good point.
So there are the state kids who we can’t afford to pay to come here and play.
Then there are probably of plenty of kids who would love to play for us but competitiveness comes into question.
Then there are the unicorns…might be one on their way.
In the meantime…Senegal it is!
I don’t think big time sports recruitment has anything to do with what rutgers university and its mission is supposed to be about . The coach is going to take a kid from Africa if he’s a better player over a kid from New Jersey. That’s what needs to happen in this semipro landscape . But It shouldn’t work this way for “students” and does not fit with the university’s mission

Last edited:
A thread on recruiting a kid from Nigeria who plays in Senegal turns into a thread bout what Rutgers' general student acceptance criteria should be. Sweet!
No ….it’s just saying that we are a win at all costs place now. I am ok with that and want to win. I am glad everyone else here is too .
Senegal over south Brunswick kids !

....anyway....

Noticed Cliff liked the final five tweet. I know they wouldn't play together but can't hurt for him to see his countryman thrive here.

If he’s Class of 2023 then they would potentially play together.
Wonder how that impacts his decision.

Clif leaving isn’t anywhere close to a lock like many saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT