ADVERTISEMENT

Kierra Sanderlin

Can we just forget DJ's name. It gives me a headache.
Talking about thew future and how current players will help make it a good one is a more pleasant subject.
Kierra sounds like the type of player that will make the RU WBB program's future a bright one

Reactions: Bon1674
I don't think we need to compare her to Diamond Johnson--who was one of the top 3 freshmen RU ever had.

But she does seem to be a winner, and we have a hole at PG. I can see her being a key part of the team for her whole career.

I don't think we need to compare her to Diamond Johnson--who was one of the top 3 freshmen RU ever had.

But she does seem to be a winner, and we have a hole at PG. I can see her being a key part of the team for her whole career.
I'd be curious to hear your list, not that I'm really enjoying thinking about her. I really never remember specifically how players do their freshman years. I would have penciled her in as - baring anything happening - a prospect to be one of the top 10, possibly top 5 players to play at RU. RU fans sometimes devalue just how good some of the talent has been (conversely, they also overvalue some, especially the long-ago and the most recent).

Reactions: RUcrazee
(note this is only CVS years)

1. Cappie
2. Matee (I put Matee above Diamond because she was the starter at beginning of season while Cappie sat out, and led us to some amazing wins over Tennessee, Texas, etc)
3. Diamond

I'd be curious to hear your list, not that I'm really enjoying thinking about her. I really never remember specifically how players do their freshman years. I would have penciled her in as - baring anything happening - a prospect to be one of the top 10, possibly top 5 players to play at RU. RU fans sometimes devalue just how good some of the talent has been (conversely, they also overvalue some, especially the long-ago and the most recent).
Although you didn't ask for my list 🙂, ....I just couldn't resist throwing out some names that come to my mind, in terms of impactful freshman. Of course, we have to start with.....
Cappie!!, Piph, T. Scaife, D. Johnson,
Kia Vaughn, E. Carson, M. Ajavon, B. Laney

Just don't remember Sue Wicks freshman year and any before her. Have to say, ....when I think of the most impactful freshman, Cappie, Piph, Scaife, and Diamond come to my mind. Ajavon had a laid back playing style that didn't fully showcase how good she truly was as a freshman.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. Matee and Essence were definitely impactful freshman, but the list of four guards that I mentioned were all ready to play the lead role on the team as freshman, in terms of scoring, facilitating, and defending. Each was ready to average 20 and stuff the stat sheet from year 1. CVS' offensive philosophy back then was the only thing that kept Cappie and Piph from going for 30 a game. Kinda like Dean Smith and Michael Jordan. Our offense started to loosen up and become more productive during the Scaife years.

Don't get me wrong. Matee and Essence were definitely impactful freshman, but the list of four guards that I mentioned were all ready to play the lead role on the team as freshman, in terms of scoring, facilitating, and defending. Each was ready to average 20 and stuff the stat sheet from year 1. CVS' offensive philosophy back then was the only thing that kept Cappie and Piph from going for 30 a game. Kinda like Dean Smith and Michael Jordan. Our offense started to loosen up and become more productive during the Scaife years.
Scaife was quite impactful, including the WNIT championship; she was AAC freshman of the year. Piph was not a big scorer until her Junior year, actually - but very impactful in the Regional Championship game. You are forgetting Tasha Pointer, FWIW, the Big East Freshman of the Year.

As I say, I am not good at remembering freshman years vs. their career. One thing I do know is that some players, like Shawnetta Stewart and Tasha were great in college but didn't have pro careers. Others, like Laney and Sutton-Brown had good college careers but even better pro careers. Copper as well, I think.

Scaife was quite impactful, including the WNIT championship; she was AAC freshman of the year. Piph was not a big scorer until her Junior year, actually - but very impactful in the Regional Championship game. You are forgetting Tasha Pointer, FWIW, the Big East Freshman of the Year.

As I say, I am not good at remembering freshman years vs. their career. One thing I do know is that some players, like Shawnetta Stewart and Tasha were great in college but didn't have pro careers. Others, like Laney and Sutton-Brown had good college careers but even better pro careers. Copper as well, I think.
Yes, these are all RU all-time greats, along with Chelsea N. also. Thank you for the Tasha P. facts. That would put her in that group of most impactful freshman. I didn't remember the freshman years of these RU greats.

Others that I just feel like I have to mention because I liked their games so much.........Monique Olliver and Stacia Carey. K. Rushdan, A. Sykes, Rachel Hollivey also had decent RU careers.

How could I forget Tasha!?!?

Re-ranking:

1. Cappie
2. Tasha
3. Diamond/Matee

ADVERTISEMENT