ADVERTISEMENT

Kim Mulkey, to LSU

MADHAT1

Hall of Famer
Apr 1, 2003
She's leaving Baylor for LSU
Nikki Fargas resigned from LSU reportedly to become the president of Las Vegas' WNBA franchise

Last edited:
Saw an article that several unnamed sources have stated LSU will pay her $2.5 million.
Looks like you're on the money

LSU women's basketball hires Baylor coach Kim Mulkey, expected to earn $2.5M annually
Mulkey, 58, grew up in Tickfaw near Hammond - less than an hour from the LSU campus.

She made $2.27 million a year at Baylor, according to USA TODAY's salary database. Multiple LSU sources told The Daily Advertiser she will receive a package of $2.5 million annually. The sources requested anonymity because Mulkey's salary has not been announced by LSU.
https://www.theadvertiser.com/story...all-hires-baylor-coach-kim-mulkey/7377370002/

She sure did not make the move for money given leaving a no income tax state for a tax state. Wonder if she was really pissed st Baylor building the new basketball complex downtown.

She sure did not make the move for money given leaving a no income tax state for a tax state. Wonder if she was really pissed st Baylor building the new basketball complex downtown.
Sounds like that was part of reason and her relationship with the AD wasn't as f=good as the one she had with the old AD .
Frtom the little I read about that relationship, Kim had less influence with the current AD than she had with the old one and the emergence of Baylor's MBB program took some of her WBB team's accomplishments glory down a notch when it came to influencing Baylor's AD on what she wanted him to do .
With Baylor's Football team a major power in the College Football world and now Baylor's MBB team on top of the world . Mulkey might have been placed 3rd in live when the Baylor AD listened to Baylor's HCs and Kim felt she done all she could there and wouldn't be getting the support she had once come to expect be given automatically because of what her team meant to the school before the other programs became successes.

Baylor just hired Nikki Collen, HC of the WNBA Atlanta Dream as their HC. She is 45 years old and a home run hire per fellow coaches.

Baylor just hired Nikki Collen, HC of the WNBA Atlanta Dream as their HC. She is 45 years old and a home run hire per fellow coaches.
I can't say if she's a home run or not, but her last two seasons in Atlanta weren't dream seasons like her first year was..
3 year total 38-52 after being 23-11 her first year

For reference, her husband is Tom Collen, the former Colorado State, Louisville and finally Arkansas. Much of her experience as a college assistant is working for him. He is quite a bit older than she is.

I find the hire to be totally underwhelming on the face of it. Of course, it may work out just fine.

Reactions: eso1989
Underwhelming hire IMO. No real track record of success and no ties to Texas. WNBA coaches haven’t exactly thrived in the college game as head coaches (see White’s disaster at Vanderbilt). You have to wonder if this was really Baylor’s top choice or there just weren’t a lot of candidates willing to follow Kim’s legacy in Waco.

She could not be making much as HC of the Dream? They probably tripled her salary

She could not be making much as HC of the Dream? They probably tripled her salary
I'm sure you're right, can't seem to find what the Dream was paying her but pretty sure your right about better pay at Baylor.
But wonder if she would have lasted this season if the Dream was losing like her last 2 seasons turned out to be.
She might be consiodered a good hire by Baylor, but her HC resume doesn't prove that if we go by the W-L record

She will sell recruits at Baylor that she knows how to get them to the pros. She will be successful on the talent alone that she gets to Baylor whether she can coach or not.

She will sell recruits at Baylor that she knows how to get them to the pros. She will be successful on the talent alone that she gets to Baylor whether she can coach or not.
No Nikki will not, Baylor will fall into the dark ages.

Nikki had one good year (2018) and hasn't done much since. There were a number of other coaches at the College level that would been a better selection than this coach. This was not a good hire Baylor.

Baylor will not ever reach the heights it reached under Kim Mulkey. I believe this hire will also allow Texas and Texas A&M to ascend to the TOP of the State of Texas and the Big 12 (Texas).

No Nikki will not, Baylor will fall into the dark ages.

Nikki had one good year (2018) and hasn't done much since. There were a number of other coaches at the College level that would been a better selection than this coach. This was not a good hire Baylor.

Baylor will not ever reach the heights it reached under Kim Mulkey. I believe this hire will also allow Texas and Texas A&M to ascend to the TOP of the State of Texas and the Big 12 (Texas).
I can't argue this, because I sort of agree. Except the comment I saw somewhere was to the effect that coaches know this was a slam dunk great hire, even though fans won't / can't see it. Remains to be seen who is right.

She will win the first few years alone on what Kim left her in talent
The object is :will she win enough with the talent Kim left. to satisfy the fanbase ?
Baylor fans might just hold Nikki to a real higher standard because of the talent inherited by her and feel as a coach Nikki didn't have the team play as well as it should have, with the talented roster Baylor has.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT