ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ciarrocca Spring Press Conference - 3/30/23

Spring practice has been going on only for a couple of days, right? What can you expect him to know yet about who is good and who is not? I don't think he's hiding anything --I think he just doesn't have anything to say until he sees more. The only question in my mind is why they bothered having him do a presser.

A lesson in how to say absolutely nothing in 1000 words or less.

I like Kirk and hope he does a good job. But not sure a $500k raise is justified. We shall see.

Tough crowd. Day 2 of Spring, no pads yet, reporters and fans expecting Ciarocca to make sweeping and in depth analysis of each offensive position group?

The theme:

And for the WRs:

7ghy7h.jpg

Reactions: CERU00
I didn’t expect much of anything today. He is a new coach to this team and he hasn’t seen anything yet.. On the other hand, I think nobody wants to hear the “we are young” thing anymore. It’s year 4 of this regime. It’s time to start showing legitimate progress.

Reactions: RUShea
Tough crowd. Day 2 of Spring, no pads yet, reporters and fans expecting Ciarocca to make sweeping and in depth analysis of each offensive position group?

I get all that - it's not really what I'm on about. I'm just thinking big picture and how perfectly Kirk's mere presence here represents Greg's customary flight to his comfort zone and in a very general sense that does not bode well.

I get all that - it's not really what I'm on about. I'm just thinking big picture and how perfectly Kirk's mere presence here represents Greg's customary flight to his comfort zone and in a very general sense that does not bode well.
None of us are good at going out of our comfort zone. I'm sure you'll agree that the key question is whether Ciarrocca can run an offense that can both score and keep Schiano happy by minimizing turnovers. I don't think we know enough yet to make a judgment, and today's press conference doesn't shed any light.

None of us are good at going out of our comfort zone. I'm sure you'll agree that the key question is whether Ciarrocca can run an offense that can both score and keep Schiano happy by minimizing turnovers. I don't think we know enough yet to make a judgment, and today's press conference doesn't shed any light.
You're right, of course. I'm just more or less regurgitating what's in my gut - and I've been at this for a pretty long time.

You're right, of course. I'm just more or less regurgitating what's in my gut - and I've been at this for a pretty long time.

The problem is the second half of that statement "keep HC Schiano by limiting turnovers".

If the offense is going to score more and take more chances, then turnovers will happen.
Can't have the offense so risk adverse that they are immobilized.

I feel the same - to me it's not encouraging the retreat to the safe harbor of a known past coach.

Reactions: RU4Real
A lesson in how to say absolutely nothing in 1000 words or less.
But there is a lot told in what he does NOT say. Given opportunities to fluff the players he has not done that.

I liked the quote about getting the players to THINK like he thinks... to SEE as he sees. No, that is not specific information, as you pointed out. And I would think very coach wants that. But if he can get that done we would make great strides in the offense being able to take advantage of what the defense is giving them in certain defensive alignments.... if.. IF.. he can get the players to make the same reads.. the right reads.. be on the same page and then EXECUTE.

The spring game might reveal progress in that area. Or not.

The problem is the second half of that statement "keep HC Schiano by limiting turnovers".

If the offense is going to score more and take more chances, then turnovers will happen.
Can't have the offense so risk adverse that they are immobilized.

I feel the same - to me it's not encouraging the retreat to the safe harbor of a known past coach.
Every coach hates turnovers. A well-executed high-scoring offense doesn't necessarily turn the ball over. Consider the Super Bowl, with 73 points scored and just one turnover -- and that one not the result of a decision. Patrick Mahomes was intercepted 12 times in 2022, but no one cares because he passed for 41 touchdowns.https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask?q=patrick+mahomes+career+td/+int+ratio

Reactions: Knight Shift
But there is a lot told in what he does NOT say. Given opportunities to fluff the players he has not done that.

I liked the quote about getting the players to THINK like he thinks... to SEE as he sees. No, that is not specific information, as you pointed out. And I would think very coach wants that. But if he can get that done we would make great strides in the offense being able to take advantage of what the defense is giving them in certain defensive alignments.... if.. IF.. he can get the players to make the same reads.. the right reads.. be on the same page and then EXECUTE.

The spring game might reveal progress in that area. Or not.
I'd like to hear more about how he's going to get Wimsatt to throw the ball accurately.

I'd like to hear more about how he's going to get Wimsatt to throw the ball accurately.
You're in luck!

“Really just consistency and being more accurate every play. I have to be more intentional with my work. That goes with any drill or any play. Every rep counts,” Wimsatt said.

“The biggest thing for me is understanding the game better and making it even slower,” Simon said. “I thought my decision making could be better and my accuracy. I wanted to be a better leader too.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
the story in this thread link talks to the QBs about their experiences with Ciarocca.. it is pretty much what I suspected... and everyone knows the accuracy thing is mostly preparation and practice and repetition.. if you have the physical ability to "make all the throws".

Sometimes a QB being "inaccurate" was really a WR not running a route correctly.. or one of them making a bad read. Our QBs did make clearly inaccurate throws as well last year... so that happens too. And most of teh time I noticed it you could see bad form on the throw.. be it footwork or rushing teh throw or throwing late.. sometimes due to fear of a rush.. sometimes when there was plenty of time. So, it is not ALL a QB issue. But the best QBs make the good throws even in bad situations.

My suspicion is that getting all QBs and receivers on the same page in reading defenses will make the QBs seem more accurate by knowing where the WRs will be and who the likely open target will be with proper pre-snap and post-snap reads. But we will have young WR corps and they will have to do what the QBs EXPECT them to do. They will all have to make the same reads and then practice and repetition should get the timing down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT