ADVERTISEMENT

Knicks continue to screw up, with new coach

I am a very fatigued Knick fan. I think Phil is close to putting in an EJ like effort running the Knicks. Dolan will never fire him. Will be interesting to see what type of contract this guy gets after giving Derek Fisher 25 for 5. There is a lot of roster work to be done and not sure he is up for the task. Also not sure that playing for Phil (and the Triangle) and Melo is that big of an attraction to free agents.

I am a very fatigued Knick fan. I think Phil is close to putting in an EJ like effort running the Knicks. Dolan will never fire him. Will be interesting to see what type of contract this guy gets after giving Derek Fisher 25 for 5. There is a lot of roster work to be done and not sure he is up for the task. Also not sure that playing for Phil (and the Triangle) and Melo is that big of an attraction to free agents.

Phil has an opt-out after the 16-17 season. It's worse than EJ to me because it looks like with the hiring of Hornacek, who has no experience with the triangle, that Jackson might be ready to bolt after basically making things worse and collecting a paycheck for 3 years.

Reactions: KevH and socaldave
Look at those Suns rosters that won 48 and 39 games. I am coming around on this hire. I like Vogel, but not unlike Thibedeoux he is a defense first HC. Just not Phil's preference. Everybody boo'd the Porzingis pick. Not sure Phil deserves to be under a microscope yet.

Look at those Suns rosters that won 48 and 39 games. I am coming around on this hire. I like Vogel, but not unlike Thibedeoux he is a defense first HC. Just not Phil's preference. Everybody boo'd the Porzingis pick. Not sure Phil deserves to be under a microscope yet.
Can't say if Hornecek will work out for NY,but the Suns organization the way it has been lately would made any HC look bad.

Chief Triangle has checked out on the Knicks the day he was hired. Phil Jackson has never been required to put a team together in Chicago or L.A. He took over ready made teams. It's a lot easier to win rings with multiple top 50 all-time greats each team. Van Gundy had Chief Triangle pegged from the get go.[sick] FRAUD.

Reactions: tico brown
Saw on Bleacher Report that Hornacek does not have to run the triangle. Phil Jackson may finally realize the Knicks can't--and shouldn't run it. Melo, Porzingis, etc, don't flourish in it. Don't doubt Phil looked for a coach that could run it, but that interminable search found nobody he would trust--or "mentor". Always liked Hornacek as a player--got all out of himself he had to give, and thought he was an OK coach in a not OK position.
TL

Wait to see what kind of team Phil puts together this off season. I don't hate the hire but don't love it either. As most sites and people say, "At least it's not Rambis" though there is a report saying Rambis will be on the staff if/when Hornacek is hired. Oy...

Jackson is becoming a dinosaur and the game is very different from when he won his rings. The Knicks also don't have any Jordans, Kobes, Shaqs or Pippens to run the triangle with. He's getting an awful lot of money and his only accomplishment has been getting lucky with the Porzingis pick.

I wish the Knicks could convince Melo to be traded while they could still get something for him so they could blow this mess up and build around Porzingis.

Then maybe Phil could ride off into the sunset.

Reactions: littlenis5
It's funny how people are calling the porzingis pick "Lucky". He selected him over Mudiay who addressed a much bigger team need at PG and who everyone was drooling over.

I'm a knick fan and like the hire. I'm really not sure what there is to hate. He overachieved with a bad roster in a brutally hard western conference.

Reactions: RutgHoops
It's funny how people are calling the porzingis pick "Lucky". He selected him over Mudiay who addressed a much bigger team need at PG and who everyone was drooling over.

I'm a knick fan and like the hire. I'm really not sure what there is to hate. He overachieved with a bad roster in a brutally hard western conference.

I call the pick lucky because the Knicks fell into that spot in the lottery (they should have had a better one) and the consensus was they wanted all three of the players who went ahead of them and were hopeful of getting D'Angelo Russell. People seemed to think there was more risk with Porzingis since its harder to predict how young European players will translate in the NBA. It looks like the pick was a worth-while gamble and I don't think many thought he would be this good in this first year in the NBA.

I call the pick lucky because the Knicks fell into that spot in the lottery (they should have had a better one) and the consensus was they wanted all three of the players who went ahead of them and were hopeful of getting D'Angelo Russell. People seemed to think there was more risk with Porzingis since its harder to predict how young European players will translate in the NBA. It looks like the pick was a worth-while gamble and I don't think many thought he would be this good in this first year in the NBA.
Consensus by writers and talking heads doesn't mean squat. If you want to criticize him for mistakes or bad choices he has made, go for it. But at least give him credit for his plusses.

Consensus by writers and talking heads doesn't mean squat. If you want to criticize him for mistakes or bad choices he has made, go for it. But at least give him credit for his plusses.

Are you talking about Jackson? what pluses since he was hired by the Knicks?

There is marginal improvement on the court...but the long term is no better than if you had anyone else there.

Then wouldn't everything be lucky?

Is Golden State lucky Curry fell to #7 or is it smart they picked Curry ahead of Jordan Hill and Brandon Jennings? Is Portland lucky Lillard fell to #6 or smart for picking him ahead of Harrison Barnes and Terrence Ross?

If they did the 2015 draft over today Porzingis would go #2. Phil made the right pick. I am quite sure plenty of GM's would have taken Mudiay, Winslow or even Hezonoja or Cauley-Stein there. Cap tip.

I wish I could share my facebook post on Draft night, I was probably the only Knicks fan on my friends list that LOVED the Porzingis pick! Never second guessed it. Didn't expect him to star right away though.. I was guessing like maybe 2-3 years. As far as ole Hornecek, I'll give a chance, but as long as Melo is on the team... I'm not expecting any buy-in from the whole roster.

That team will never be good with Melo.

Melo needs to be a last option with the initial offense moving through Porzingis.

Dump it in to P low on the block. If a double comes, kick it around the perimeter.

Nothing there, pass to Melo with about 6 on the clock.

Hopefully the defense has been sufficiently stretched by now for Melo to do his thing: 3 or drive.

You don't consider picking Porzingus a plus?

I absolutely do. However, I think he "fell" to the Knicks at #4... I don't think it was a stroke of his supposed genius.. I also can't think of anything else positive during his time here. The team is still a train wreck, so why are we paying him this money?

Then wouldn't everything be lucky?

Is Golden State lucky Curry fell to #7 or is it smart they picked Curry ahead of Jordan Hill and Brandon Jennings? Is Portland lucky Lillard fell to #6 or smart for picking him ahead of Harrison Barnes and Terrence Ross?

If they did the 2015 draft over today Porzingis would go #2. Phil made the right pick. I am quite sure plenty of GM's would have taken Mudiay, Winslow or even Hezonoja or Cauley-Stein there. Cap tip.

I guess that depends on who you believe. I remember rumors of the Sixers taking him instead of Okafor.

That team will never be good with Melo.

Melo needs to be a last option with the initial offense moving through Porzingis.

Dump it in to P low on the block. If a double comes, kick it around the perimeter.

Nothing there, pass to Melo with about 6 on the clock.

Hopefully the defense has been sufficiently stretched by now for Melo to do his thing: 3 or drive.

Absolutely right. I think a lot people thought Melo would be the "Jordan" or "Kobe" in the triangle offense. Melo never was that player and is now on the downside or his career. I think their ceiling with him is a first-round exit from the playoffs. Everyone should be potential trade-bait except Porzingis.

13099057_876753329102410_1249093980_n.jpg

12819033_1520275674943496_2144317601_n.jpg

11249578_1676453682574729_1955292823_n.jpg

http://nypost.com/2016/05/19/jeff-hornaceks-daughter-a-new-attraction-for-knicks-fans/

More people saying Hornacek won't run the triangle. Pre-3 point shot, and the world has changed. Hornacek is OK--some recycled names like Vogel and Thibodoeau, for example, but Hornacek can run with that crowd. Not a Jackson hire.
TL

ADVERTISEMENT