ADVERTISEMENT

Knick's Draft

RUinFla

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
Stuart, Florida
Like Toppin, even though he is already 22 and many observers say he has a high floor but a low ceiling. They need someone with energy, with juice, especially if The Guv ever lets fans back into the Garden. Quickley was a mystery, since they have RJ. Didn't see the need for a PG in the draft, since unlike most, I like Payton. Liked him with Orlando and like him with the Knicks. Not exciting; doesn't shoot 3's or FT's well, but he was 10 points and 7 assists Then they took Oturu from Minnesota--we RU fans know him. His comp supposedly is Bobby Portis, who the Knicks still have. Portis is not that old. Free agency and trades will change the roster, but as of now, Mo Harkless is the only contributor gone from last season. Who knows what Leon Rose will do?

Toppin seemed to be both a fit/need and the best player available. Local product too. That was the right pick.

Picking Quickley tells me Ntilikina is gone as is Dennis Smith. Payton could stay to groom.

Speaking of gone - Oturu - we hardly knew ya !

Like Toppin, even though he is already 22 and many observers say he has a high floor but a low ceiling. They need someone with energy, with juice, especially if The Guv ever lets fans back into the Garden. Quickley was a mystery, since they have RJ. Didn't see the need for a PG in the draft, since unlike most, I like Payton. Liked him with Orlando and like him with the Knicks. Not exciting; doesn't shoot 3's or FT's well, but he was 10 points and 7 assists Then they took Oturu from Minnesota--we RU fans know him. His comp supposedly is Bobby Portis, who the Knicks still have. Portis is not that old. Free agency and trades will change the roster, but as of now, Mo Harkless is the only contributor gone from last season. Who knows what Leon Rose will do?

Toppin is athletic and can shoot from 3. Quickley is a combo guard that can also shoot.

RJ Barrett is not a PG, he will most likely end up as a 2 or 3 (potentially both). Payton will be cut. He is a good back-up PG but does not have a reliable outside shot. Portis' will become a FA, his option will not be picked up, his salary is too high. Oturu was traded to Min or OKC I think - picks in 2021.

ps....Myles Powell signed by Knicks

Toppin is athletic and can shoot from 3. Quickley is a combo guard that can also shoot.

RJ Barrett is not a PG, he will most likely end up as a 2 or 3 (potentially both). Payton will be cut. He is a good back-up PG but does not have a reliable outside shot. Portis' will become a FA, his option will not be picked up, his salary is too high. Oturu was traded to Min or OKC I think - picks in 2021.

Powell was working out with Toppin under Rick Brunson.

Knicks released Gibson, Portis, Payton, Ellington to free up $40MM in cap room. Bullock was the only one whose option was exercised. Supposedly in the hunt for Gordon Hayward who opted out of$34MM for next year.

I think Hayward is a good fit at SF. Even if you need to overpay him. Knicks have proven for a very long time that no major free agent will sign there.

Coupled with the new additions and some development, team could actually be decent, rather than a total joke.

I like Obi also but remains to be seen if he hits nba 3s. Have my doubts. Like the young Stoudamire talk

May have given the kiss of death to Elfred Payton by saying he was a serviceable PG for the Knicks. And noting that Oturu's comp was Bobby Portis, as well. The pre-draft hype on Dennis Smith was that he was The Guy, and last year's Knick management was reluctant to give up on Nkitilina mainly because some other teams seemed interested, were they to cut him. So--since Payton beat out both--PG? Did they clear that cap space for Westbrook? Or Van Vleet? Or some other PG? Westbrook is 32, and has been used hard. If you get him it is always All About Westbrook. Van Vleet is six years younger, and his overall shooting % is not great, but if it is one or the other, would prefer him, since he is 26 and might be amenable to being a pass-first PG.

Sounds like Hayward prefers Indiana who would need to do a sign and trade with Boston.

OK, Knicks signed veteran PG Alec Burks, now 29, who was with the Warriors and Sixers last year, scoring in double figures both places with relatively low assist totals. Just what we need. A shoot first PG.

OK, Knicks signed veteran PG Alec Burks, now 29, who was with the Warriors and Sixers last year, scoring in double figures both places with relatively low assist totals. Just what we need. A shoot first PG.
Typical Knicks signing. Bertans resigns with the Wizards. And somehow the Lakers wind up with Harrell. They will probably wind up resigning Portis/Gibson for less money and consider their offseason a success. I did not understand their draft day moves after Toppin at 8.

Pleased that they re-signed Payton--and he will make 5 mil, not the 8 mil he would have received if the Knicks had not cut him. Guess there was not much of a market for him. Also signed Nerlens Noel, now 26, who was with OKC the last couple of years. Portis has signed with Milwaukee. For the record, did not understand the Knicks' moves after Toppin at 8 either. Count 14 players on the roster at the moment. Not sure if there are any limits on roster size in the off-season. In-season, the limit is 15 but that might be expanded due to the virus. Oturu from Minnesota, who the Knicks picked, has already been traded to the Clippers? for a 2023 second round pick. Which is not as bad as it sounds because the age limit will be lifted, allowing HS kids to skip that Freshman year at Kentucky and sign.

Hayward to Charlotte for 4y/120m.

Wow that came out of nowhere.
And they cut Batum loose to get under the cap enough to sign him. I really thought Batum would be very good after his first year. Just couldn’t take the next step there.

OK, transactions fast and furious. Knicks signed Austin Rivers and have him, Burks, Quickley and the holdovers, RJ, Nkitilina and Dennis Smith. And they have SHU's own Myles Powell' They also traded Ed Davis, who they got from Utah last week, to the Timberwolves for two fringe players and another future second rounder. They now have four future second round picks. The NY Post story said the roster size was a hard 15, so more activity is certain. Dunno, are they mistaking activity for progress?

They now have four future second round picks. The NY Post story said the roster size was a hard 15, so more activity is certain. Dunno, are they mistaking activity for progress?
sweet! more Kevin Knox , Damyean Dotson , Ognjen Jaramaz , Cleanthony Early

Myles Powell has officially signed with the Knicks today.

Reactions: BillyC80
Gonna be another long season at MSG. No fans maybe a blessing.

Until Dolan is gone, nothing will ever change. Just hope at some point Dolan is smart enough to do a Wilpon and sell. It should be a crime to deny NY an NBA franchise for so many years.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
ADVERTISEMENT