ADVERTISEMENT

Football Korsak at the NFL Combine

ChrisNalwasky

All American
Staff
Mar 25, 2018
Measured in at 6-foot-1, 187-pounds.

Lance Zierlein's analysis:
The punter at Rutgers for the last five seasons, Korsak produced consistent net yardage numbers and excellent touch to bury opponents near their own goal line. He’ll need to prove he can consistently hang the ball up with distance at the next level. He has a chance to be drafted but will be in an NFL camp regardless.
Strengths
Outstanding touch on pooch punts.
Rarely boots punts into the end zone for touchbacks.
Landed 44 percent of his career punts inside the 20-yard line.
Weaknesses
Below-average size.
Needs to tighten up his operation time as a pro.
Must prove he can punt with pro-caliber hang-time.

The argument against Korsak is largely hang time because in the NFL only 2 players can release before the ball is kicked. Without good hang time the ball will be returned because they will tie up both gunners. Add to that that his rugby trick of running with ball before kick will be destroyed by NFL PR teams. Too fast. Too much time to train to stop it vs a specific quirky punter. He was a great college punter.. the best.

Perfect example is in the SB. Line drive punt setup the big return for the Chiefs

I see no path for him in the NFL. No one does rugby punting. He doesn't have that kind of leg where it looks like you kicked a helium filled ball into the sky. Anderson's leg was like that and he didn't sniff anything.

Honestly, not sure how he beat out the MSU punter for best punter 🤷🏻‍♂️ but happy for him

AK was one of the best punters in college ever over a long career. I was hoping to see that he was able to adjust a little more for the combine and get more hang time.
And let’s be clear- his combine numbers are respectable and shows he would always be good in college and if punters in the NFL were like any other position, he would have a great shot.
But, maybe 1-2 guys at most get a shot each year and you have to have that big hang time, distance and directional. He just doesn’t have the hang time needed and his rugby kicks would not be as effective because of NFL rules.
I do wish him well! And I hope most of us are wrong and he does get drafted and has a long career.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I see no path for him in the NFL. No one does rugby punting. He doesn't have that kind of leg where it looks like you kicked a helium filled ball into the sky. Anderson's leg was like that and he didn't sniff anything.
Until some coach finds a different path to success such as prioritizing a punter that can angle the punt away from a returner and kill the ball inside an opponents 20 every single time. Once that happens you’ll see everyone copy it. I hate the mindset that you have to do things like everyone else. Never leads to innovation and seldom leads to greatness. Hopefully AK gets a shot because I think he’ll prove his detractors very wrong.

Reactions: Rutger2001
AK was one of the best punters in college ever over a long career. I was hoping to see that he was able to adjust a little more for the combine and get more hang time.
And let’s be clear- his combine numbers are respectable and shows he would always be good in college and if punters in the NFL were like any other position, he would have a great shot.
But, maybe 1-2 guys at most get a shot each year and you have to have that big hang time, distance and directional. He just doesn’t have the hang time needed and his rugby kicks would not be as effective because of NFL rules.
I do wish him well! And I hope most of us are wrong and he does get drafted and has a long career.

Somebody will sign him as a UDFA. Then it will be up to him in camp.

Tom Hackett was a Rugby style punter who played at Utah. He won the Ray Guy award twice. Never played a down in the NFL.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Because you’re not making multi million dollar investments based on gut. This way, when it goes sideways you can point to the data to cover your butt

This is exactly the conversation around Bryce Young.

If you take him early and he fails "well it was obvious. He's the smallest QB ever. How could you draft him?"

But if you pass on him it's easy to say "He was the smallest ever - can't blame a GM for not taking him."

This is exactly the conversation around Bryce Young.

If you take him early and he fails "well it was obvious. He's the smallest QB ever. How could you draft him?"

But if you pass on him it's easy to say "He was the smallest ever - can't blame a GM for not taking him."
I was actually thinking the opposite which is why it’s a conversation at all. A 5’10” QB is a risk at that height even if you know in your bones he’s going to be a star because you don’t have the data or measurable to back up your gut. No one is going to knock you for not taking him, but if you do and he flops, it becomes “what were you thinking??”. As a GM or head coach who is only as good as your last decision, that’s a lot harder to defend.

Reactions: NickRU714
Once again the NFL fixation on measurables.
Even if his profile says he is small, the measurables the NFL cares about for punters are hang time and distance. If AK can improve both numbers, he has a shot. Otherwise, his distance and hang time have him at the bottom of the small pack invited to the combine.

Reactions: newell138
College coaches does the same thing.

It’s the safe thing to do.
Schiano has his measurables lol. People love to bring up the odd exemption but Korsak's issue is obvious. He needs to totally change his style. Good luck w that. Maybe he can but it'S not totally unreasonable to want guys who have the size enough to do the physical size needed to do the job

Need a big leg. Pat Mcafee was talking about how the colts brought in a guy who could hit angles and really directionally kick. Didn’t matter. Pat was like i didn’t have that skill but I had a boom stick. Smash the ball as high and as far as you can. That’s what matters. That guy couldn’t match pat for that so he didn’t make it. And pat is considered one of the best all time. And he didn’t even punt in college. Kicked field goals against us.

Has videos showing him hitting soccer balls like 110+ miles per hour. Insane.

Schiano has his measurables lol. People love to bring up the odd exemption but Korsak's issue is obvious. He needs to totally change his style. Good luck w that. Maybe he can but it'S not totally unreasonable to want guys who have the size enough to do the physical size needed to do the job
My point was that a 6-1, 6-2, 290-300 lineman could have well be the best Lineman in most games. But he will never get the same opportunities as those 6-5, 6-6, 320, 340 top recruits playing the same games.

Same thing with a 5-8, 180 RB who had 1400 TDs rushing or the 5-8 WR with 50 catches, 10 TDs compared to 6 footers with the same stats.

My point was that a 6-1, 6-2, 290-300 lineman could have well be the best Lineman in most games. But he will never get the same opportunities as those 6-5, 6-6, 320, 340 top recruits playing the same games.

Same thing with a 5-8, 180 RB who had 1400 TDs rushing or the 5-8 WR with 50 catches, 10 TDs compared to 6 footers with the same stats.
Jason Kelce is a hall of famer at 6'2 295

I don’t disagree. All teams are going to have their measurables. Hand size for WRs and QBs. The length of a OTs arms.

My point was even out HC has his standards in what he looks for. The outliers ate always used as an example but there’s a reason they are called outliers. .

"Weaknesses
Below-average size.
Needs to tighten up his operation time as a pro."

What does this second observation even mean??

"Weaknesses
Below-average size.
Needs to tighten up his operation time as a pro."

What does this second observation even mean??
He needs to the get the kick off quicker. In the NFL as mad chuck and others mentioned only the two gunners can leave before the ball is Kicked. Meaning he needs to kick like an NFL punter. Which may serious affect his abilty to place the ball inside the 20.

He will also need more hang time on kicks when his own team is pinned deep

ADVERTISEMENT