ADVERTISEMENT

Kratch and Politi

realhoops2

Junior
Jul 8, 2015
What is up with there articles following RU's valiant defeat to UM trying to stir up controversy? The articles headlines definitely have an anti-Schiano, anti-R slant. One of Kratch's articles even calls last season OT loss "an epic collapse". Why bring up last seasons game in relation to today's game? A lot of positives they could have highlighted instead they are negative. So much for home cooking

What is up with there articles following RU's valiant defeat to UM trying to stir up controversy? The articles headlines definitely have an anti-Schiano, anti-R slant. One of Kratch's articles even calls last season OT loss "an epic collapse". Why bring up last seasons game in relation to today's game? A lot of positives they could have highlighted instead they are negative. So much for home cooking
I had the same reaction, and was actually kinda pissed at their respective headlines. The NY Post has an AP article that was so much more on point about how we almost upset Michigan. Sometimes I shake my head at the cultural negativity our state and its media basks in.

Maybe things have changed, but someone who worked in the sports department at the Star Ledger once said that the writers don't write the headlines. The Editors do.

Everybody's favorite, Carino from the Asbury Park Press. IMO, the coaching did not impact the result, which can be debated:

Rutgers football pushed Michigan hard, again, but game-coaching hurt (again)​

And this:
"It wasn't for lack of effort. It was this: Throughout the game, Schiano and offensive coordinator Scott Gleeson had no feel for when to push the envelope and when to pull in the oars."

He ends with:
"But that’s two golden cracks at toppling Michigan, and two losses — and not because of Schiano's players."

Most of the questionable coaching happened in the first half when Rutgers was getting its' doors blown in. The coaching was scrambling to find something that worked. Had they known how the second half would shake out, maybe they don't make some of those decisions. But no one has a Crystal ball. Plus the coaches didn't call a penalty at 10 yard line or a dropped pass. Jesus, this team is light years ahead of a Chris Ash led squad. And why is that?

After the Flood/Ash years, I don't get caught up in W's or L's but simply how the team plays. If they play well, like we saw yesterday, they'll win their share and the program will have an upward trajectory.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know I don't read nj.com but they're not far off.

That game management at the end of the first half was Chris Ash level bad. Putz around for 3 minutes at midfield showing you have no interest in scoring...then ehhh fvck it lets go for it on 4th and 10 with 26 seconds left and hand UM 3 points instead. I was dumbfounded at that entire sequence.

If we don't do that and Val makes his FG it's 17-16 in Q4 with UM playing tight and scared.

But "if" didn't happen...

He’s a Lower tier , below average sportswriter . We don’t need friends like him and he’s not supposed to be our friend anyway.
Agree. But he's a muckraker. He plays to anti RU sentiment in the NJ press. If he were simply "objective" I'd be OK, but he's the opposite of a friend. He's an enemy. To treat him any other way is a massive mistake. F him. Don't read his stuff, don't click his links, and don't say good things about him. He's not interested in saying good things about us

Agree. But he's a muckraker. He plays to anti RU sentiment in the NJ press. If he were simply "objective" I'd be OK, but he's the opposite of a friend. He's an enemy. To treat him any other way is a massive mistake. F him. Don't read his stuff, don't click his links, and don't say good things about him. He's not interested in saying good things about us
Exactly.

Reactions: Randal7
Politi's Tar Heels got pounded by GaTech. He's trying to process that.
Well, he's a Tar Heel. So....

Horseshaat...
If you think he wasn’t helpful, you are naive. He called out what was going on publicly and made it impossible for Hobbs to shove it under the rug and pick someone else. His coverage of that story was great and his journalism on it made the whole drama a national story. You don’t have to like him, but his role in that was very positive for Rutgers.

NJ.com used to be my go to for news every day just like the Star Ledger was before that. I don’t remember the last time I visited that site. It’s crap all around

I go there to see the box scores from my niece's soccer game. That's about it.
I get my news from the only trusted source: The Knight Report!

If you think he wasn’t helpful, you are naive. He called out what was going on publicly and made it impossible for Hobbs to shove it under the rug and pick someone else. His coverage of that story was great and his journalism on it made the whole drama a national story. You don’t have to like him, but his role in that was very positive for Rutgers.

Politi is just salty because his alma mater was taken behind the wood shed. Maybe NC needs to cheat more.

Schiano seems so polite and welcoming when talking questions from these 2 critics. Maybe he should be more “Tortorella like”!
That’s the difference between the 35 yo GS and 55 GS. Why freak out and give them a quote for the their failing paper. Stay calm cool and collective and let them die a slow death.

Reactions: eddynyse
Getting criticized for how you could have made better calls to beat #19 Michigan as a 19 point road dog in the Big House, 20 months after taking over a dead in the water Rutgers program...sure is a nice place to be.

Thanks, Coaches. They all don't go your way. That's football for nearly all competitive college football teams. Sure is nice to be one again.

It is probably a business decision for those clowns. They probably ask themselves the question, "How do I get more clicks so I can get my "News" organization the most value and/or revenue and I can keep my job and maybe get a bonus at the end of the year?" Their answer is probably... write mainly negative articles because not only people who do not like Rutgers will click on it but also RU fans because they are looking for coverage, plus they will complain to their online friends about it, which will result in more clicks.

In their defense, they have a job, and their job is not two write positive or negative articles but to find a way to get their "News" organization the most value/exposure/clicks/etc. Their formula is mainly write negative/critical articles so RU fans and non-RU fans will click on it.

I stop reading their stuff a longgggggggggggggg time ago. It is not about real reporting but instead is mostly about their opinions which I don't care to read. They are also hoping/looking that Rutgers screwsup so it becomes a national story (that is where the real money probably is). Think about Mike Rice scandal, Kely Flood Princeton undercover (lol.), Julie Hermann, the football player arrest scandal, etc.

Also - GS wants articles like this. He basically came out and said it indirectly in his presser. Big time sports are about criticism and questioning as the initial reaction after a loss. Period. Better for recruiting for it to be this way actually. I’m sure there will be articles later this week breaking down the individual units that will be positive. We lost the game and in year 2, we’re far enough along where that should be the focus following the loss. Not - yay we didn’t lose 52-0 this time.

Wasn't Politi the one that wrote article after article that Kyle Flood was a great coach? Long after it became clear he wasn't?

Politi writes as a contrarian sometimes. I think some of the criticism of 1st half play calling is fair but you can't look at it in a vacuum.

The way the defense was playing in the 1st half, we needed to deparately keep the ball moving on offense. Schiano coached as a desperate 20 pt underdog in the 1st half. When he learned we belonged, he changed his approach midgame.

Reactions: Scarlet83
16-49
0-78
14-35
7-42
0-52
(The COVID season was meaningless.)

Pure click bait from these ass clowns about 1st half coaching decisions (accompanied by failed execution from the team) when a brilliant 2nd half followed full of great adjustments just resulted in me deleting their podcast from my phone. Maybe Newhouse Communications is passing orders down from upstate NY again or Steve is just that desperate for subscribers that he feels the only way is to manufacture fake controversies.

We have a team led by men hellbent on never seeing a streak like the above ever again. I’m ok with a few failed 4th down gambles through a desire to actually win in the process.

I wouldn't know I don't read nj.com but they're not far off.

That game management at the end of the first half was Chris Ash level bad. Putz around for 3 minutes at midfield showing you have no interest in scoring...then ehhh fvck it lets go for it on 4th and 10 with 26 seconds left and hand UM 3 points instead. I was dumbfounded at that entire sequence.

If we don't do that and Val makes his FG it's 17-16 in Q4 with UM playing tight and scared.

But "if" didn't happen...
You hit it right on the head. I felt exactly the same while watching that sequence of play calls!

Probably because Politi and Crotch / Kratch are one and the same as some of our post game negative bash boys.Sometimes I think Schiano would love to bitch slap several of these long time sports smucks.

I think the Advance Media gang THINKS they are supporting RU by acknowledging that the team has progressed beyond moral victories. But they are in fact missing the part where we celebrate the amazing progress that this represents.

Meh, they hold Schiano and staff to a high standard. Criticism is fine.

Wasn't Politi the one that wrote article after article that Kyle Flood was a great coach? Long after it became clear he wasn't?

Politi writes as a contrarian sometimes. I think some of the criticism of 1st half play calling is fair but you can't look at it in a vacuum.

The way the defense was playing in the 1st half, we needed to deparately keep the ball moving on offense. Schiano coached as a desperate 20 pt underdog in the 1st half. When he learned we belonged, he changed his approach midgame.

floods game day coaching is. MILES better than Schiano’s. That’s just a fact.

doesn’t mean he was better for RU..but X’s and O’s..flood is very very very good

• Haha
Reactions: jtung230
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT