ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to Robb Smith

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
With all the love on this board for Sean Gleeson we seem to be forgettng about Robb Smith. Eventhough the defense did give up some big plays they made even bigger ones with the TOs, 12 TFLs and the fourth down stops.
The only coach we've had that was worse then Ash during the Dark Ages was our DC last year, Andy Buh. I realize coaching is a nomadic profession but there's a reason a guy works at 13 different schools in 21 years with only one of the jobs lasting more then two years.
Buh has to have been one of the most incompetent coordinators ever. Our kids were rarely put it positions where they could succeed. GS has assembled a excellent staff. Lets keep it going.

Last edited:
With all the love on this board for Sean Gleeson we seem to be forgettng aboiut Robb Smith. Eventhough the defense did give up some big plays they made even bigger ones with the TOs, 12 TFLs and the fourth down stops.
The only coach we've had that was worse then Ash during the Dark Ages was our DC last year, Andy Buh. I realize coaching is a nomadic profession but there's a reason a guy works at 13 different schools in 21 years with only one of the jobs lasting more then two years.
Buh has to have been one of the most incompetent coordinators ever. Our kids were rarely put it positions where they could succeed. GS has assembled a excellent staff. Lets keep it going.
The stories I've heard about Buh are really bad. Like pathetic bad.

Our run defense was incredible. Like someone said it was like watching the 2005-2009 defenses. Just amazing schemes but also talent. Even out pass defense was way improved, knocking down balls and being in position for pics .. that swat by Avery on the deep pass was a thing of beauty I’d expect from OSU defenders

Our run defense was incredible. Like someone said it was like watching the 2005-2009 defenses. Just amazing schemes but also talent. Even out pass defense was way improved, knocking down balls and being in position for pics .. that swat by Avery on the deep pass was a thing of beauty I’d expect from OSU defenders
Adding someone the quality of Brendon White back there doesn't hurt either.

Amazing how the scheme hasn’t changed and all these years later still works. Penetrating DL, swarm to the ball, edge rusher, force TO’s. Was like watching a 2005 - 2009 game and this was just game 1!
My thoughts exactly while watching yesterday.

It's good to see DBs actually breaking up passes again.

Agree on Buh being horrible but let's not forget that Neimann was really bad, too. Ash needed to take over the D from him a few games into Neimann's last season as DC.

BTW, kudos to RutgersAl for pointing out that Neimann was lacking before I realized it myself.

With all the love on this board for Sean Gleeson we seem to be forgettng about Robb Smith. Eventhough the defense did give up some big plays they made even bigger ones with the TOs, 12 TFLs and the fourth down stops.
Great to have Smitty back. Attack mode all game long. Swarm to the ball. Strip the ball. How about 3 picks though one got called back? Great day

It’s amazing how good a defense looks when you have a bunch of competent DLineman to rotate and to be put in the right position to make a difference. All of sudden the LB’s (who already were pretty good) look a hell of lot better.
It was also obvious how our defense is taught to strip the ball while tackling. Tough to do when you tackle rugby style

I like this kid Rob Jutwreten who seems bigger than 270 lbs. .. Also starting Krimmin at center was brilliant if only because of his size... He did a very good job for his first game at the position as did Raiquan and Paillant on the left Vretman, Sutton on the right side... O line averaged around 6-4 1/2 300lbs. Which is not the biggest but it is not small ...Agree with others stamina will need to be a focus in the next weeks..

Speaking of OL size, did anyone notice the average weight of the Minnesota OL? They averaged over 330 pounds and that was with their starting left tackle out who weighs over 400 pounds.

It’s amazing how good a defense looks when you have a bunch of competent DLineman to rotate and to be put in the right position to make a difference. All of sudden the LB’s (who already were pretty good) look a hell of lot better.
It was also obvious how our defense is taught to strip the ball while tackling. Tough to do when you tackle rugby style
Most of those competent DL played last year but we have never been anywhere near this deep on DL. Never.

Remember for the 1st time ever, RU stepped up and gave it's head football coach $$$ for assistant coaches.
Thanks to the pressure put on Hobbs for getting the needed financial backing. Money was something Rutgers had no stomach for regarding assistant salaries.

Amazing how the scheme hasn’t changed and all these years later still works. Penetrating DL, swarm to the ball, edge rusher, force TO’s. Was like watching a 2005 - 2009 game and this was just game 1!

Forcing the offense into making mistakes is almost always a good idea in CFB. Elite QBs will kill us - but RU was getting killed anyway.

Reactions: RUhobbit
Agree on Buh being horrible but let's not forget that Neimann was really bad, too. Ash needed to take over the D from him a few games into Neimann's last season as DC.

BTW, kudos to RutgersAl for pointing out that Neimann was lacking before I realized it myself.
Neimenn was so underwhelming in everything he did . how young college kids were expected to respond to him and be motivated by him is astounding .

I actually thought he made a few mistakes including a terrible angle on the first touchdown pass and a few missed tackles.

He took bad angles on two TD passes and couldn't bring the receiver down. The one you're referring to is as much Izien's fault as he had the first shot and best shot to take that receiver down.

The tackling alone made a HUGE difference. With few exceptions, I was giddy as hell watching RU swarm, make solid, clean hits, wrap up and bring the ball carrier to the ground.

The tackling alone made a HUGE difference. With few exceptions, I was giddy as hell watching RU swarm, make solid, clean hits, wrap up and bring the ball carrier to the ground.
Open field tackling in general was solid wrap em up... the two missed tackles leading to scores needs to be fixed...it was nice to see actual hard hitting tackling.

Reactions: KevH
ADVERTISEMENT