ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Dobbins announcing commitment tonight at 8 PM

+/- 2020 before Rutgers reaches 6 wins.

2018 should be bowl hunting come the last two weeks of the season. Schedule is kind and recruitng class and more talented recruiting class physically matures. Some guys who sat out also grow an extra year when applicable.

How come noone was saying this kid had marginal talent and was garbage when they thought he was going to commit to RU?

No need to say a kid sucks if your
coach isn't taking him on as plan A. People have been saying he's not a take right now, which, is the same thing but less douchey.

Temple has now gotten 10 commits in a week, most 3 stars, Collins is doing well

Reactions: 17Q66
hopefully this next promised recruit actualy verbals to get the ball rolling sometimes this week(tomorrow?).I hope Ash proves me wrong,just right now..

Last edited:
Look...Ash's incoming freshmen class is loaded with speed, agility and playmakers...on both sides of the ball.

We complain about being a placeholder, then we complain about not being a placeholder.

It's amazing we haven't ALL learned verbals mean absolutely nothing...wake me up on signing day, I expect more speed and playmakers

I got a breeze for ya . . . and it's a warm one.
giphy.gif

Lose,him now to Temple will be discouraging at this point....did UConn or SU offer?
Posted this on premium but it doesn't contain premium info so figured I'd share it here too. Just for shits and giggles, I ran the numbers. According to the Rivals db, RU has made 316 offers to 2018 kids and Temple has made 227. Of the 316 kids we offered, 110 also were offered by Temple. Given we're looking at a class of around 20 this year, it seems highly likely that multiple kids with RU "offers" (whatever that means these days) will end up committing to Temple.

Kids like to have their moment and say they chose school X over schools A, B, C and D. The real question is whether their offers were committable at the time they made their decision. In this case (and others have hinted at it), there may be more going on behind the scenes which would render this short term perception hit of "losing" a kid to Temple irrelevant. We should know soon if that is the case.

It's shocking how many kids we're recruiting visit us and then pick someone else the next day, and how many kids have us in a top five with the Kent States and Buffaloes of the world but won't commit because they're waiting for a Power Five offer from anyone else. Really, with recruiting I've tried to remain positive, but you've got to wonder whether Ash has any ability at all to sell his vision. Yeah, call me negative. I don't give a crap. It's time to start getting it done on the recruiting front. Other teams have poor seasons and still bring in high level players.

Posted this on premium but it doesn't contain premium info so figured I'd share it here too. Just for shits and giggles, I ran the numbers. According to the Rivals db, RU has made 316 offers to 2018 kids and Temple has made 227. Of the 316 kids we offered, 110 also were offered by Temple. Given we're looking at a class of around 20 this year, it seems highly likely that multiple kids with RU "offers" (whatever that means these days) will end up committing to Temple.

Kids like to have their moment and say they chose school X over schools A, B, C and D. The real question is whether their offers were committable at the time they made their decision. In this case (and others have hinted at it), there may be more going on behind the scenes which would render this short term perception hit of "losing" a kid to Temple irrelevant. We should know soon if that is the case.

Don't forget it works the other way too! A lot of kids with Rutgers offers may not have committable Temple offers anymore. Here is a question, did this kid have a Rutgers offer? Rivals says no, but 247 and Scout say yes... https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/jayde-pierre-184325

Non committable offers seem to be in vogue now when a kid is offered and picks a program that isn't supposed to be on par with RU.
I'll just say Ash is fighting the perception that Rutgers is over-matched in the B1G,the program has to many problems to be competitive and recruits aren't sure they want to be a part of Rutgers football the way it looks right now.

Let Ash show he can make RU competitive when they play the best and you'll see recruits more willing to be part of making RU FB a top program.
Until that happens, expect RU to lose kids to mid majors that look like they will be in bowl games and work hard to get recruits that don't want to be part of a P-5 program that might not be in one

Non committable offers seem to be in vogue now when a kid is offered and picks a program that isn't supposed to be on par with RU.
I'll just say Ash is fighting the perception that Rutgers is over-matched in the B1G,the program has to many problems to be competitive and recruits aren't sure they want to be a part of Rutgers football the way it looks right now.

Let Ash show he can make RU competitive when they play the best and you'll see recruits more willing to be part of making RU FB a top program.
Until that happens, expect RU to lose kids to mid majors that look like they will be in bowl games and work hard to get recruits that don't want to be part of a P-5 program that might not be in one
Well Stated - which is why this year is more then critical for Ash and company - A repeat of 2016 and he will simply not be able to recover. The question is whether RU will delay the inevitable or consider the trend line and make a quick decision. If the season goes south and we do not show significant improvement and recruiting for 2018 ends 50 or higher Hobbs must act - otherwise we are looking at years before we will be viewed as serious about wanting to compete in this conference.

Reactions: RUaMoose and BlockR
It's shocking how many kids we're recruiting visit us and then pick someone else the next day, and how many kids have us in a top five with the Kent States and Buffaloes of the world but won't commit because they're waiting for a Power Five offer from anyone else. Really, with recruiting I've tried to remain positive, but you've got to wonder whether Ash has any ability at all to sell his vision. Yeah, call me negative. I don't give a crap. It's time to start getting it done on the recruiting front. Other teams have poor seasons and still bring in high level players.

I agree with all of this. Willing to reconsider if something happens today but I've heard the "we're in it for the NEXT guy" before striking out too often.

I worry that Ash is trying to hit a hit a 3-run home run with nobody on base rather than string some singles and doubles together.

if you did the same comparision for BC and PSU offers vrs RU offers for same kids,that would be interesting to see.

if you did the same comparision for BC and PSU offers vrs RU offers for same kids,that would be interesting to see.
Total offers out to 2018 kids:
PSU - 153
BC - 207
Temple - 227
RU - 316

Of the 153 PSU has offered, RU offered 59. Of kids with offers from both, none have committed to RU and 8 have committed to PSU (Justin Shorter, Zack Kuntz, Patrick Freiermuth, Nana Asiedu, Dorian Hardy, Charlie Katshir, Nick Tarburton and Jesse Luketa).

Of the 207 BC has offered, RU offered 97. Of kids with offers from both, none have committed to RU and 7 have committed to BC: (Matt Valecce, Johnny Langan, David Bailey, Ryan Betro, Evan Stewart, Vinny DePalma and Nick DeNucci).

Of the 227 Temple has offered, RU offered 110. Of kids with offers from both, 1 has committed to RU (Zihir Lacewell) and 1 has committed to Temple (Kyle Dobbins).

As I alluded to earlier though, an offer goes in the Rivals database and there is (understandably) no follow up after that to be able to determine if the offer was rescinded or non-committable so these numbers don't tell the full story. While there is no doubt we've struck out on a bunch of targets that I'm sure we really wanted, I can confidently say there are names on the BC list who didn't have commitable offers by the time they committed. I haven't heard RU mentioned with at least 5 of the PSU commits above which means we were likely never in the picture for them at all. We have 4 commits at this point and I know fans are getting impatient but momentum can swing quickly in recruiting. Let's see what happens in the next month ahead of training camp.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
Choosing Temple over some pretty solid schools makes it appear those P5 offers weren't committable and/or he did not believe he was a top RB target for those schools and future playing time was questionable.

Reactions: 17Q66
Choosing Temple over some pretty solid schools makes it appear those P5 offers weren't committable and/or he did not believe he was a top RB target for those schools and future playing time was questionable.
...Or that Temple is riding a big wave this week, snagging a few kids who wouldn't normally commit to a non-P5 school at this point in the cycle. Whatever Collins is selling is resonating with their targets, big time. Silly to think these schools wouldn't have taken Dobbins.

Total offers out to 2018 kids:
PSU - 153
BC - 207
Temple - 227
RU - 316

Of the 153 PSU has offered, RU offered 59. Of kids with offers from both, none have committed to RU and 8 have committed to PSU (Justin Shorter, Zack Kuntz, Patrick Freiermuth, Nana Asiedu, Dorian Hardy, Charlie Katshir, Nick Tarburton and Jesse Luketa).

Of the 207 BC has offered, RU offered 97. Of kids with offers from both, none have committed to RU and 7 have committed to BC: (Matt Valecce, Johnny Langan, David Bailey, Ryan Betro, Evan Stewart, Vinny DePalma and Nick DeNucci).

Of the 227 Temple has offered, RU offered 110. Of kids with offers from both, 1 has committed to RU (Zihir Lacewell) and 1 has committed to Temple (Kyle Dobbins).

As I alluded to earlier though, an offer goes in the Rivals database and there is (understandably) no follow up after that to be able to determine if the offer was rescinded or non-committable so these numbers don't tell the full story. While there is no doubt we've struck out on a bunch of targets that I'm sure we really wanted, I can confidently say there are names on the BC list who didn't have commitable offers by the time they committed. I haven't heard RU mentioned with at least 5 of the PSU commits above which means we were likely never in the picture for them at all. We have 4 commits at this point and I know fans are getting impatient but momentum can swing quickly in recruiting. Let's see what happens in the next month ahead of training camp.

The commitable part can't be overemphasized enough. In BlockR's oversimplified world, he thinks every time a recruit with a Rutgers offer commits somewhere else, it is a problem. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.
Thanks Block R with a space for informing BlockR (lost in space). It's like the old Mad Magazine comic strip Spy vs. Spy
Wiki-background

...Or that Temple is riding a big wave this week, snagging a few kids who wouldn't normally commit to a non-P5 school at this point in the cycle. Whatever Collins is selling is resonating with their targets, big time. Silly to think these schools wouldn't have taken Dobbins.
Read again: "... and/or he did not believe he was a top RB target for those schools and future playing time was questionable."

Hard to say what's in a kid's head, but at this point, there's no real reason for a confident kid to think his future playing time was questionable, either. They don't tend to get scared off that easily, even when there is an actual reason.

Or maybe these kids are grabbing a spot at Temple, while there is still room, & waiting & hoping that another school will accept their commitment at a later date. As we all know commitments are not binding, so if RU strikes out on their top 4 or 5 RB's they might go back & offer this kid a commitable offer

Or maybe these kids are grabbing a spot at Temple, while there is still room, & waiting & hoping that another school will accept their commitment at a later date. As we all know commitments are not binding, so if RU strikes out on their top 4 or 5 RB's they might go back & offer this kid a commitable offer
Yeh we've seen that movie here before...

that is pretty much how this stuff works.

So, kids didn't do that there in previous years, under Rhule? Blackshear flipped, but even then, he only did so after Rhule left. They picked up a bunch of kids this week with commitable P5 offers, and Dobbins was one of them. If the insinuation here is that his offer from Rutgers wasn't commitable, that strains credulity a bit, especially when there were more successful programs whose offers were.

In recent years, the kids who committed to Temple early tended to be the ones for whom Temple was their best offer, not the ones trying to preserve a spot until a P5 offer comes across.

Ru is in no place right now to take that approach. Doubtful that played out two days before a planned announcement,recruit the kid to this point,have him make RU his last visit before announcement to tell him..never mind we really dont want you...
Don't you know that a visit is also a chance for a potential recruit with a "verbal" offer to showcase himself to the staff. What I mean by that is commitment and work ethnic are big with your coach and if the kid isn't committed to the process of being great, then what's the point. Once again, you are in the Big Ten East and your coaches want to win and are evaluating kids the right way because you can't make mistakes when your not a blue blood. You seen what happened when you did right. That's why your in the predicament now of so called not recruiting well. Give your coaches credit for realizing your place on the food chain and you gotta work for this shit. How am I an Bama fan and know more about your program then some of these conspiracist who just wanna be dic*$ about stuff they have no clue about

Don't you know that a visit is also a chance for a potential recruit with a "verbal" offer to showcase himself to the staff. What I mean by that is commitment and work ethnic are big with your coach and if the kid isn't committed to the process of being great, then what's the point. Once again, you are in the Big Ten East and your coaches want to win and are evaluating kids the right way because you can't make mistakes when your not a blue blood. You seen what happened when you did right. That's why your in the predicament now of so called not recruiting well. Give your coaches credit for realizing your place on the food chain and you gotta work for this shit. How am I an Bama fan and know more about your program then some of these conspiracist who just wanna be dic*$ about stuff they have no clue about

These people are not dumb. They just hate Ash and the midwestern coaches. Their prejudice oozes with every post they make. They wanted a local guy. Like Al "9 win " Golden. Or Addazio, or Nebbie's new DC, Bob Diaco.

Reactions: RUonBrain
The degree of rationalization on this board is amusing, to say the least.

Like Dobbins non committable offer from RU, DT Prospect Jayde Pierre had non committable offers from Arizona, Maryland, Virginia and Purdue and had to choose Temple now until something better comes along....

So, kids didn't do that there in previous years, under Rhule? Blackshear flipped, but even then, he only did so after Rhule left. They picked up a bunch of kids this week with commitable P5 offers, and Dobbins was one of them. If the insinuation here is that his offer from Rutgers wasn't commitable, that strains credulity a bit, especially when there were more successful programs whose offers were.

In recent years, the kids who committed to Temple early tended to be the ones for whom Temple was their best offer, not the ones trying to preserve a spot until a P5 offer comes across.

First off no one knows who has a commitable offer except the Coaches, in many instances the kids themselves don't know if the Coach will accept the commitment .
Here is a hint to know if a recruit has a commitable offer, if the kid visits a school that he has an offer from & then commits to a different school the same day, he DID NOT have a commitable offer from the school he visited. Kids don't go in person to tell a Coach that they are not coming, they call the Coach via phone.

First off no one knows who has a commitable offer except the Coaches, in many instances the kids themselves don't know if the Coach will accept the commitment .
Here is a hint to know if a recruit has a commitable offer, if the kid visits a school that he has an offer from & then commits to a different school the same day, he DID NOT have a commitable offer from the school he visited. Kids don't go in person to tell a Coach that they are not coming, they call the Coach via phone.

c6cba316bdd948b6ef3bda2db3ad844d.gif

Reactions: RUonBrain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT