ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Dobbins announcing commitment tonight at 8 PM

The degree of rationalization on this board is amusing, to say the least.

Like Dobbins non committable offer from RU, DT Prospect Jayde Pierre had non committable offers from Arizona, Maryland, Virginia and Purdue and had to choose Temple now until something better comes along....
Don't know much about Pierre but congrats on him.

As for Dobbins, he's a nice get for Temple but we just added Pacheco who many believe was higher on our board.

There is your reason for Dobbins to Temple haters.
45667157.jpg

There is your reason for Dobbins to Temple haters.
and you know this because you were involved in discussion?
also Im sure they are taking two Rbs.
anway..a solid get..should bring other kids along with him...good news!

Yeah..and we're the current favorite of another back that would be a better get than Dobbins so..

Reactions: Knight Shift

Because logic. We will take another RB and we still have 3 or 4 guys rated higher than Dobbins interested in us. More than a solid get.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Because logic. We will take another RB and we still have 3 or 4 guys rated higher than Dobbins interested in us. More than a solid get.
Very possible Jefferson from Cali commits either tomorrow or by the weekend at the latest, all but ending RB recruiting for RU. Steve Scott is Plan B if that fails to materialize.

Someone just posted it but Stevie Scott is the 2nd guy we want from what I can gather.

I also think the Pacheco thing kind of came out of nowhere for us in the last week. We had always wanted him but we're on the outside looking in until something recently changed.

Here is a hint to know if a recruit has a commitable offer, if the kid visits a school that he has an offer from & then commits to a different school the same day, he DID NOT have a commitable offer from the school he visited. Kids don't go in person to tell a Coach that they are not coming, they call the Coach via phone.
That's one interpretation that can be molded to fit a narrative, while another is that the visit gives a kid clarity that that place is not for him. Maybe a better hint is not to assume something you simply want to be true, rather than know it to be true.

Reactions: MoobyCow
That's one interpretation that can be molded to fit a narrative, while another is that the visit gives a kid clarity that that place is not for him. Maybe a better hint is not to assume something you simply want to be true, rather than know it to be true.
Recruiting is a very strange and fluid world that seems to get harder to follow every year.

Reactions: SHUSource

I would also bet that Ash broke the news to the kid in a classy way and may have even suggested he take the Temple offer. But...with that caveat that RU will still stay in contact and if things change.................

I think the point is that when you can get a good running back, you take him, so the idea that Dobbins' offer wasn't commitable is silly. Pacheco looks very good, but so did Savon Huggins. You never know, which is why you stockpile them when you can. If you don't, you're not recruiting the right way.

I'm sure Dobbins told Ash he appreciated his interest.

Reactions: CrazyfoRU
I think the point is that when you can get a good running back, you take him, so the idea that Dobbins' offer wasn't commitable is silly. Pacheco looks very good, but so did Savon Huggins. You never know, which is why you stockpile them when you can. If you don't, you're not recruiting the right way.

I'm sure you don't know what you're talking about.

None of us know for sure what transpired with the Dobbins recruiting. The idea of the Dobbins offer not being commitable is not silly but just one of the possible scenarios regarding the recruitment.

Reactions: Block R

The plan is to take two in this class. You don't take someone's commitment if there are other guys you have ahead of him and that you feel that you have a good chance of landing.

'You're all over the damn place SHUSource and now you're trying to confuse the discussion.

I think the point is that when you can get a good running back, you take him, so the idea that Dobbins' offer wasn't commitable is silly....You never know, which is why you stockpile them when you can.

Would you agree there is a hierarchy of kids that receive offers? That if #15 is available but #2 is indicating they're close to committing, logical coaches would wait? You can't just "stockpile" talent when you only have 25 scholarships to offer. You have to be discerning. Under your logic where do you stop "stockpiling" talent? Should we go accept numbers 6-14 and forgo getting any other positions? Absolutely ludicrous argument.

Pacheco looks very good, but so did Savon Huggins.

Total non sequitur argument. There are plenty of backs that do not perform well at the next level. What does that have to do with ANY of the discussion here? Dobbins just as easily could be overwhelmed in college.

I love that animated short!
I thought i was wrong once, but i was mistaken.
Reminds me of my favorite saying: "Those of you who think you are right are bothering those of us who are."
I think the point is that when you can get a good running back, you take him, so the idea that Dobbins' offer wasn't commitable is silly.
Actually that is not so silly. But think what you like.

Using your argument regarding Huggins, we should therefore never take another running back commitment because they may not work out. And Paul James was a successful walk on so we should only take RB commitments from walkons going forward.

So Pacheco calling the day before when he knows Dobbins is visiting and basically saying "hey this is random but I want to be on campus tomorrow for over 6 hours with my family" has no effect and we should just take Dobbins when basic logic is showing what exactly will happen in a 24 hour period?

If Dobbins had a committable offer, if the staff didn't push for a commit, it's a mute point. You aren't gonna commit somewhere where they aren't begging you to commit. That's how these prospects are and the coaches use that psychology regularly.

'You're all over the damn place SHUSource and now you're trying to confuse the discussion.

Would you agree there is a hierarchy of kids that receive offers? That if #15 is available but #2 is indicating they're close to committing, logical coaches would wait? You can't just "stockpile" talent when you only have 25 scholarships to offer. You have to be discerning. Under your logic where do you stop "stockpiling" talent? Should we go accept numbers 6-14 and forgo getting any other positions? Absolutely ludicrous argument.

Total non sequitur argument. There are plenty of backs that do not perform well at the next level. What does that have to do with ANY of the discussion here? Dobbins just as easily could be overwhelmed in college.
It's very doubtful that Dobbins would be so low on such a hierarchy, even if they coaches value Pacheco and even others more. He's a very good player; I don't think there's any doubt about this. Of course, he could just as easily flop; any one of them can. And you can't just take every single back out there, but what I'm saying is that he's good enough to rank as one you take if you can. A bird in the hand, if you will.Everyone here seemed to dig him just fine before he popped for Temple.

I don't take gratuitous knocks on your program - I've been posting peacefully here for 20 years, so it's not like I'm trying to flame or stir the pot. But it's not like Ash (who I think is doing a good job, by and large) has been so hot on the recruiting trail that you turn away a sure commit like that. Maybe he did; I obviously wasn't in the room. But that wasn't a smart tactical choice if he did.

I've had my say, and will bow out of it now. Both kids are talented RBs, and there are others out there, too.

Reactions: CrazyfoRU
It's very doubtful that Dobbins would be so low on such a hierarchy, even if they coaches value Pacheco and even others more. He's a very good player; I don't think there's any doubt about this. Of course, he could just as easily flop; any one of them can. And you can't just take every single back out there, but what I'm saying is that he's good enough to rank as one you take if you can. A bird in the hand, if you will.

I don't take gratuitous knocks on your program - I've been posting peacefully here for 20 years, so it's not like I'm trying to flame or stir the pot. But it's not like Ash (who I think is doing a good job, by and large) has been so hot on the recruiting trail that you turn away a sure commit like that. Maybe he did; I obviously wasn't in the room. But that wasn't a smart tactical choice if he did.

I've had my say, and will bow out of it now. Both kids are talented RBs, and there are others out there, too.
There is no comparison between Pacheco and Dobbins. One was highly sought after at multiple positions. The mods who follow nj hs football for a living have said he's a top ten talent in the state, potentially top 5, and a borderline 4 star. The other ended up with a committable temple offer and a Rutgers offer where we didn't push for a commit and that's it

It's very doubtful that Dobbins would be so low on such a hierarchy, even if they coaches value Pacheco and even others more. He's a very good player; I don't think there's any doubt about this. Of course, he could just as easily flop; any one of them can. And you can't just take every single back out there, but what I'm saying is that he's good enough to rank as one you take if you can. A bird in the hand, if you will.Everyone here seemed to dig him just fine before he popped for Temple.

I actually thought you were making some fair points at times until you made the Huggins remark. I know you have a soft spot for TU but that irked me because you were clearly trying to portray us in a bad light and TU in a better one. Believe me, we could start naming all of the more recent NJ players that went to TU and made minimal, if any impact, including the ones that were going to "smoke" us and ended up 0-2 against RU in '12 and '13, including a game in Philly where half the crowd was Rutgers fans and we ran TU off the field in 2nd half. I think Dobbins is a fine back and if he ended up at Rutgers we'd be glad but we're thrilled with Pacheco.

Joe P.

All fair, and I do like to tout Temple, but just to be clear, I'm not trying to portray Rutgers in a bad light - not for the sake of itself, I mean.

I think it'll be interesting to watch these two South Jersey guys, and it'll be a natural to compare them as they progress. I think both teams got good backs.

Reactions: JoeRU0304

Nice try but Dobbins has visited RU multiple times, Oct of 2016, Feb. 2017 & April 17, so this week he found out that there were multiple players at RB that RU had higher on their board, like I said if 4 or 5 kids decide to go elsewhere RU might revisit Dobbins. Also I know this to be true from multiple different people, his offer might have been commitable back in Feb. but since that time multiple kids that RU has high interest in have shown that they have legit interest in RU, so Dobbins fell down on the recruiting board.

OK. That all sounds reasonable. It'll take a few years to see how it all turns out, but I guess we'll all be here to check it out.

All fair, and I do like to tout Temple, but just to be clear, I'm not trying to portray Rutgers in a bad light - not for the sake of itself, I mean.

I think it'll be interesting to watch these two South Jersey guys, and it'll be a natural to compare them as they progress. I think both teams got good backs.

You're a solid poster so I definitely didn't think you were trying to troll anyone but I did look at your post sideways when you were like, 'well the Rutgers guy might not pan out'...I almost said out loud, "oh, but the Temple guy is some sort of stone-cold lock to be the next Emmitt Smith???"

Joe P.

Or maybe these kids are grabbing a spot at Temple, while there is still room, & waiting & hoping that another school will accept their commitment at a later date. As we all know commitments are not binding, so if RU strikes out on their top 4 or 5 RB's they might go back & offer this kid a commitable offer
Sounds about right.

Or maybe these kids are grabbing a spot at Temple, while there is still room, & waiting & hoping that another school will accept their commitment at a later date. As we all know commitments are not binding, so if RU strikes out on their top 4 or 5 RB's they might go back & offer this kid a commitable offer

Lol, yeah. I'm sure Haason Reddick, Dion Dawkins, PJ Walker and Jahad Thomas really resented not being able to play for their state university

rutgerss.0.gif

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT