ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Kyonte Hamilton drops wrestling, will focus on football

Let’s see how it goes. Kids change their minds. Football is his focus now but let’s see in November if he still feels the same way.

Smart decision. That is where his future is.

We lack a big man coach and workout partners. Leonardis was Hamilton's main recruiter and the coach that would be working with him. Leo is no longer around the program. Can we get him back? Otherwise, hope Pollard has a good relationship with Mullen.

Last edited:
Someone open a QB debate room and leave it open. If a player makes announcement like Hamilton did, we can discuss it. If folks want to talk about a QB, head to that thread. Seems like the right move for Hamilton, so good for him and I think great for the football program.

Hamilton was rated a two star football player, despite being a five star wrestler, always seemed dumb to me. Seems to have a bright bright football future.

Reactions: Richie O
Once he hit the two deep, although some didn't want to believe it, you knew his wrestling career was over. The same thing happened with Meekins.

I think Kyonte would have stuck around longer if his football development didn’t accelerate so quickly. He’s going to get a ton of time this season. Would be cool to see him thrive and play at the next level. His dad was always cool here. Hope he still comes around once in a while.

I remember only 1-2 years ago hearing that lots of college coaches would like the sport to just be a spring semester sport. To me it’s a no brainer to push back the conference and national championships to mid April to avoid March madness altogether.
My point of bringing it up in this thread is fairly obvious, if the season ended 4-6 weeks later, you could possibly get 2 sport stars in football and wrestling. Almost no chance with the way they overlap now.

Reactions: Leonard23
I remember only 1-2 years ago hearing that lots of college coaches would like the sport to just be a spring semester sport. To me it’s a no brainer to push back the conference and national championships to mid April to avoid March madness altogether.
My point of bringing it up in this thread is fairly obvious, if the season ended 4-6 weeks later, you could possibly get 2 sport stars in football and wrestling. Almost no chance with the way they overlap now.
Agreed. Really no need for it to start in October especially with teams ducking their best wrestlers anyway.

For what it’s worth I also think it’s beyond incredibly moronic that the national wrestling tournament starts the same exact day as the national basketball tournament.

I think Kyonte would have stuck around longer if his football development didn’t accelerate so quickly. He’s going to get a ton of time this season. Would be cool to see him thrive and play at the next level. His dad was always cool here. Hope he still comes around once in a while.
Mine I hate it just as much as y’all believe it or not🥺 in my opinion he was a much better wrestler than football player coming into college but his LOVE was always football. We all know that wrestling is a year round sport and to be great on the mat you have to train ALL year so with that being said I did ask him if he could do me a solid and win one college wrestling tournament for me and he said he would soooooooo fingers crossed…………………

Mine I hate it just as much as y’all believe it or not🥺 in my opinion he was a much better wrestler than football player coming into college but his LOVE was always football. We all know that wrestling is a year round sport and to be great on the mat you have to train ALL year so with that being said I did ask him if he could do me a solid and win one college wrestling tournament for me and he said he would soooooooo fingers crossed…………………
This one hurts! But can't blame your son, he looked great in yr 1 (true yr 1) on the gridiron. Wish him nothing but success, and won't mind if he changes his mind to keep wrestling 😂

Reactions: Kyontesdad
We’d rather see him excel at 1 than be average at both. Ultimately he’s probably making the right decision. Like Bill said if he’s not fully mentally invested in wrestling he’s not going to succeed. I think he has a promising football career ahead of him.

Unless I misread, Mr. Hamilton's post contradicts the earlier football-only story. Is he going to wrestle or not? It will be difficult to win a tournament without the training commitment, as everyone agrees. If he gets rich in the NFL, maybe he'll be that big wrestling donor.

Reactions: Kyontesdad
Mr Hamilton did not say what type of college tournament.
It could be the Mat Town open :)
Could be the intramurals tournament. Do they still have that? Was a blast watching a friend wrestle in it. Me and a good friend of his as well drove down from our school to watch him. Was really surprised with how many contestants they drew. Some weight classes had 16 men brackets.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
I wrestled in the intramurals in 1959. I won a few bouts and then got NJ State champ Richie Janish who decked me

Reactions: koleszar
ADVERTISEMENT