ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of speed and aggression on kick off returns

kennyschiano

All Conference
Gold Member
May 12, 2005
ash said in his press conference that we are doing short kicks because the team is tired and doesn't have the depth for it. i don't know if that is the truth but we run down sooooo slowly and hesitantly.

i remember terry bynes blowing up the blockers and glen lee destroying the pitt returner back in the schiano days.

bottom line is we're not making plays and letting guys make plays on us!!

think that is bs by Ash to be honest, find it hard to believe the team can't find the horses to have an effective ST group

We're a very slow team. Been saying this for a while. Shows big-time on ST's. That being said we could do a little better with our schemes BUT as well know well: speed kills.

ash said in his press conference that we are doing short kicks because the team is tired and doesn't have the depth for it. i don't know if that is the truth but we run down sooooo slowly and hesitantly.

i remember terry bynes blowing up the blockers and glen lee destroying the pitt returner back in the schiano days.

bottom line is we're not making plays and letting guys make plays on us!!

Vividly remember Zaire Kitchen laying someone out too

We are not a slow team. It's a combination of poor kicking and no depth.

You're spot--on about kicking and depth, however, we are a slow team. We have nowhere near the overall team speed that we had from, say, 2005-2014'ish. It shows on ST's in a big way.

It shows our lack of team speed. Kick out and concede the 35.
Not a sustainable strategy. The receiving team doesn't have to take it on the 35. They can elect to force a rekick from five yards back (the kicking team's 30).

The receiving team also has a third option - take the ball where it went out of bounds, plus five yards.

Not sure what that means. Wasn't a wrestler, but I was a twenty year old at one time.
You just don't understand how explosive this game is. Try sprinting for 10-15 sec and a 1 min break and see how many times you can do it for.

And meanwhile our KR team must have a rule that we only try to return a kick if we absolutely have to. Perhaps the same issues are in play which make the coaching believe we just won't make the 25 yard line most times. We certainly get a lot more opportunities to return them. Just goes to show how important a kicker who can put the ball in the end zone is.

Ok. Got it. Didn't realize it took 10-15 seconds to cover a kickoff.
10-15 sec thing was my suggestion for you to simulate how your body can't recover that quickly. Better simulation is probably doing squats.

Reactions: Badgerc
ADVERTISEMENT