ADVERTISEMENT

ladies down 1-0 at the half at nebraska

nikoru09

Senior
Gold Member
May 3, 2016
union
just caught the end of the of the half....they need to start scoring...coming off the field they looked disgusted

My freaking Lord why on earth would you chip that ball all you have to do is kick it on the ground and you're up 2 to 1. Horrible decision right there for your star senior to make.

We're going to blow this game.

Last edited:
Murphy and the fullbacks have put 4 or 5 balls out of play, clearing them, with little to no pressure on them in the last five minutes or so.

Huskers are bigger and stronger. By last 10 min of regulation we were gassed and likely why we kept kicking so many balls out of bounds and not chasing balls down when attacking.

Last edited:
So I don't know if there's a lot of girls still hurt, or what's going on, but there just seems to be something lacking out there, no? Youth thing?

So I don't know if there's a lot of girls still hurt, or what's going on, but there just seems to be something lacking out there, no? Youth thing?
We looked really good for the first 30 minutes of the second half. Then seemed to run out of gas. Nebraska certainly looks better conditioned.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Lucky to escape with a point. We got completely dominated by them in both OT periods as well as the last 15 minutes of the game.

Awful road trip, hope the girls learn and mature from it, howver.

We looked really good for the first 30 minutes of the second half. Then seemed to run out of gas. Nebraska certainly looks better conditioned.

Definitely better condition. Not even close in my humble opinion.

Lucky to escape with a point. We got completely dominated by them in both OT periods as well as the last 15 minutes of the game.

Awful road trip, hope the girls learn and mature from it, howver.
Ladies came back from a bad first half ... looks like we will have at least 1 team with a winning B1G record ... outside chance of a conference tourney win based on the goalie and D ... but getting out shot most games recently.

Ladies came back from a bad first half ... looks like we will have at least 1 team with a winning B1G record ... outside chance of a conference tourney win based on the goalie and D ... but getting out shot most games recently.

Field hockey could very well end up with a winning record, at 500 right now, but is that really the end game if we finish ranked? Considering where we were just two years ago?

Came out waltzing around once again. Nebraska jumped on us. We decided to play some soccer after a half & picked it up. Second half came out with some pace and crispness, but, as others said, ran out of steam. Overall, too much individual play many times--playing with the ball at their feet instead of moving it quickly, other times trying to go it alone against multiple defenders when a team mate is wide open, sometimes in excellent scoring position. Ball kicked out of play when under no pressure. This team needs to sharpen up. Two tough games this week--Penn State,Thursday & Ohio State on Sunday. Go RU.

Came out waltzing around once again. Nebraska jumped on us. We decided to play some soccer after a half & picked it up. Second half came out with some pace and crispness, but, as others said, ran out of steam. Overall, too much individual play many times--playing with the ball at their feet instead of moving it quickly, other times trying to go it alone against multiple defenders when a team mate is wide open, sometimes in excellent scoring position. Ball kicked out of play when under no pressure. This team needs to sharpen up. Two tough games this week--Penn State,Thursday & Ohio State on Sunday. Go RU.

...which is why leaving 8 points out there, the last 2 weekends, was a HUGE no-no.

Anyway, yeah, your assessment is pretty much spot on this team needs to learn to play together, as a team, even the Cornhuskers were a much better passing team then we were with last night. Yesterday.

SO who is the individual play on? is that the coaching? Obviously is if we are out conditioned it is the coaching

SO who is the individual play on? is that the coaching? Obviously is if we are out conditioned it is the coaching

- IMHO yes and no. It's probably the fact of having so many young girls getting a lot of playing time on the squad. i'm sure it's something that the coach is trying to instill during practice, and it's driving him insane, but it just hasn't come to fruition on game day yet.

- yesterday the announcers kept talking about the type of runs that Nebraska does at the end of their off-season conditioning and practice sessions. Basically high-intensity endurance sprints. So the girls are running either 400, or 800 m, at session's end, door in the entire off-season to get them better prepared for the regular season.. Something like that. Hopefully coach got a wind of that, saw how we didn't necessarily get tired, BUT, that they were simply in better condition come the latter part of each half and in OT. I would like to think this gets immediately added to next years off-season training regimen!

caveat I grew up in the same town as mike so i will need to be gentle criticism wise
What you see is we play three mids and almost all our opponents play 4.. He prefers three stikers in the attack. So by the nature of that beast the mids will always look like they are losing the battles
Compounded by, despite great skills , when Whitley and Ferreira are on the field at the same time both lack speed and covering their third of the field is problematic. So in ma guess based on nothing I think both need to take 50% more steps to achieve the same coverage as their taller, faster, opponents

I saw neither game so i cannot comment. But the third part of that is the insistance of playing Adora as a center mid. Clearly not a center mid and lacks the quick feet, and rapid judgement necessary. If you could archive and watch i think our weakest moment is during those lineups
Whitley and Ferreira are center mids and to improve, to my pedestrian thinking they must play there with Provenzano on one side and fill in the blanks on the other

Midfield mediocrity would i think end, players would be fresher. But it aint my call

caveat I grew up in the same town as mike so i will need to be gentle criticism wise
What you see is we play three mids and almost all our opponents play 4.. He prefers three stikers in the attack. So by the nature of that beast the mids will always look like they are losing the battles
Compounded by, despite great skills , when Whitley and Ferreira are on the field at the same time both lack speed and covering their third of the field is problematic. So in ma guess based on nothing I think both need to take 50% more steps to achieve the same coverage as their taller, faster, opponents

I saw neither game so i cannot comment. But the third part of that is the insistance of playing Adora as a center mid. Clearly not a center mid and lacks the quick feet, and rapid judgement necessary. If you could archive and watch i think our weakest moment is during those lineups
Whitley and Ferreira are center mids and to improve, to my pedestrian thinking they must play there with Provenzano on one side and fill in the blanks on the other

Midfield mediocrity would i think end, players would be fresher. But it aint my call

I think your and dad's posts are spot on.

there were several opportunities when playing into space (vs taking on 1v1) was the right option...but the girls tried to dribble around/through several girls. I attribute this to youth (hopefully!)

there were way too many unforced errors yesterday. no idea why...was it fatigue? over-confidence? who knows. I would like to see the team get it together down the stretch and play more crisply.

there have been games over the past couple of years where it is clear our opponent is better than us...yesterday was not one of those games.

I have a lot of faith in this staff, so definitely not panicking (yet...lol)

Agree that Whitley & Ferreira lack top end speed. Not a great scheme or x & o guy so will defer to you & Mike on that score. BTW, don't believe that Nicole saw the field at all vs Nebraska & only played a bit vs Iowa. Banged her knee up in the Whiskey game. Ambivelant on your point re: Adora. I do know that when she is here it allows Kennie to move back to outside D, which IMO suits both her & us better. Adora has had some academic responsibilities that have caused her to miss a couple of away games & even come late vs Minny, I believe it was, at home. All this being said, I really love this staff & trust them to make any needed adjustments.

The last couple of years the same thing happened around this time. They would play teams on the road and not get the points they should be getting. Not sure if the wear and tear of the season gets them this time of the year each season or the style of play the coaches emphasize. Until they play consistently all year they will never get over the hump and win the conference.

So in the posts above is this an indictment on O'Neill's coaching ability and do you feel with our young talent and recruiting which he is obviously a good recruiter he can get us over this hump going forward?

So in the posts above is this an indictment on O'Neill's coaching ability and do you feel with our young talent and recruiting which he is obviously a good recruiter he can get us over this hump going forward?
I think it his style of coaching. They seem to play a long ball style instead of control passing up the field and send a thru ball. In soccer the teams that play longer passes usually lose possession. You have a lower percentage of possession. When we played Penn State 2 years ago , they played a ball control style and wound up beating us twice.

I think it his style of coaching. They seem to play a long ball style instead of control passing up the field and send a thru ball. In soccer the teams that play longer passes usually lose possession. You have a lower percentage of possession. When we played Penn State 2 years ago , they played a ball control style and wound up beating us twice.
Mike actually coaches a possession game & believes we are more effective with that style.

I believe he is an excellent coach.

On the top right toolbar your icon name, then a greenish settings, click on the next one( a letter ) That is a private message.
All the message is where i sit, and what i look like if you wanted to stop by on thurs

On the top right toolbar your icon name, then a greenish settings, click on the next one( a letter ) That is a private message.
All the message is where i sit, and what i look like if you wanted to stop by on thurs
Thanks ho26. Was actually debating on whether to go or not Thurs. Probably will. If so, will certainly look you up.

ADVERTISEMENT