ADVERTISEMENT

Last Passing Touchdown: October 16, 2021 vs. Northwestern (8 games)

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
Posted this in another spot and some suggested making it's own thread.

Our last passing touchdown (excluding Wagner) was on October 16, 2021 in the 21-7 loss to Northwestern.
That's 8 games - 6 to end last year and the first 2 games of this year.
Spans multiple QBs (Vedral, Simon, Wimsatt, Snyder)
This is why I'm skeptical of the return of Vedral being some great catalyst to an improved passing game.
The end of last year wasn't encouraging and why most hoped Simon/Wimsatt would grab hold of the position.
I still maintain that the constant rotating in game and in practice is stunt either one from fully developing.

Over those 8 games we are 4-4 actually:
Wins:
20-14 @ Illinois (5-7, 4-5)
38-3 @ Indiana (2-10, 0-9)
22-21 @ BC (1-2)
16- 14 @ Temple (1-2)

Losses have all been blowouts:
52-3 Wisconsin (9-4, 6-3)
28-0 PSU (7-6, 4-5)
40-16 Maryland (7-6, 3-6)
38-10 Wake Forest (11-3, 7-2, Bowl Game on very short notice)

Our last passing touchdown (excluding Wagner) was on October 16, 2021 in the 21-7 loss to Northwestern.
This is why I'm skeptical of the return of Vedral being some great catalyst to an improved passing game.
The end of last year wasn't encouraging and why most hoped Simon/Wimsatt would grab hold of the position.
I still maintain that the constant rotating in game and in practice is stunt either one from fully developing.

Wins:
22-21 @ BC (1-2)
16- 14 @ Temple (1-2)

28-0 PSU (7-6, 4-5)
Nice analysis.
Winning is winning, and hate to take the Debbie Downer view, but we were not going to win Wisc, PSU or Wake Forest (with no A. Young, Pacheco, or Melton).
Maryland, passing certainly would have helped. I flushed that game from my memory. How the heck did we get manhandled by Maryland again?

Are you jonesing for McNulty yet? 😜

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
Sean Gleeson at work

meh. Park of me thinks this is a head coach strategy. He wants to be a ground and pound team with stellar defense.

that still doesn’t execuse or become a real reason that you don’t have a TD pass in 8 games ! That’s ineptitude unless you’re Army or Navy running the triple option. But I’m pretty sure they both have several throwing TDs in that same time frame.

Yes - our already thin roster was decimated for those last 5 games. Losing AC was the last straw and Noah was playing banged up in a bunch of those games. But what about Noah’s 7 TDs through that NW game before all that? Of all the incumbents we’ve ever had that our fans have crapped on; it seems this poor kid wins the prize.

I mean really - take a closer look at that WF game. Forget the limited practice, ok? No Melton. No AC. No Pacheco. Other guys missing too. Ranked opponent. Noah was 8-13 for 87 yards (didn’t play the last quarter as it was garbage time) with a lot less than he’s going to have to work with when he returns. I don’t understand why so many fans have completely written him off.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Because the most popular player on a team is often the 2nd string QB.

It’s just amazing to me that people think it’s all about our coaches and that the back up QBs we have would be so much better if only our staff would let them throw. Do we really want what happened to Art to happen to these young kids? We have a veteran leader returning for us this season who got us to 3-0 and gave Michigan a run for their money last year before injuries set in last season. None of us watched a minute of training camp. Noah doesn’t have the best arm in the world but he would start on most G5 teams and for some P5 programs too. He’s not close to as bad as some of our fans are making him out to be. And yes, he could’ve throw for 500+ yards against Wagner if that’s what our staff wanted. Anything positive that any of our guys did in that game means nothing.

Reactions: czxqa
This is a Schiano thing, not a Gleeson thing. Gleeson's offense at Oklahoma St was well balanced and successful. He didn't forget how to do that. They either think they don't have a real QB(possible) or Schiano is demanding the offense that we see.

But what about Noah’s 7 TDs through that NW game before all that?
Fair, sort of. 2 of those were against Delaware. (If you don't count Wagner for Simon and Wimsatt, can't really allow Delaware in the convo.) So you're looking at a 5-3 TD/INT ratio. Not great but ok. Taking a look at his QBR (not a perfect metric but a good indicator of overall QB performance) for those same games, Michigan was the only one he was above 50 (66.9), which is considered average. So one time he achieved average. The rest were 36.4, 36.8, 23.2, 22.2 and 35.
I think to many, it's not that Vedral is so much worse than the others, but we know what his ceiling is. Why not go with the guys who have a higher ceiling?

Yes - our already thin roster was decimated for those last 5 games. Losing AC was the last straw and Noah was playing banged up in a bunch of those games. But what about Noah’s 7 TDs through that NW game before all that? Of all the incumbents we’ve ever had that our fans have crapped on; it seems this poor kid wins the prize.

I mean really - take a closer look at that WF game. Forget the limited practice, ok? No Melton. No AC. No Pacheco. Other guys missing too. Ranked opponent. Noah was 8-13 for 87 yards (didn’t play the last quarter as it was garbage time) with a lot less than he’s going to have to work with when he returns. I don’t understand why so many fans have completely written him off.

Since you asked. Noah's stats through the NW game (not including Delaware).
7TDs in 5 games with 158 yards per game. That would be #121 in CFB.

I'm not saying Wimsatt/Simon are the answer, but it's hard to say Vedral is the clear cut better option.
You can assign blame wherever you want but it's not good.

OpponentCompletionsAttemptsYardsTDInt
Temple152713810
Syracuse222814510
Michigan183115610
Ohio State162615213
Michigan State163120800
Northwestern183015210
Average/Totals17.528.8158.553

It’s just amazing to me that people think it’s all about our coaches and that the back up QBs we have would be so much better if only our staff would let them throw. Do we really want what happened to Art to happen to these young kids? We have a veteran leader returning for us this season who got us to 3-0 and gave Michigan a run for their money last year before injuries set in last season. None of us watched a minute of training camp. Noah doesn’t have the best arm in the world but he would start on most G5 teams and for some P5 programs too. He’s not close to as bad as some of our fans are making him out to be. And yes, he could’ve throw for 500+ yards against Wagner if that’s what our staff wanted. Anything positive that any of our guys did in that game means nothing.

Additionally, Wimsatt/Simon have gotten us to 3-0 as well, beating an ACC team-Temple-FCS schedule.

Additionally, Wimsatt/Simon have gotten us to 3-0 as well, beating an ACC team-Temple-FCS schedule.

Last year’s 3-0 performance was much more impressive than this year’s. How can anyone compare?

First of all, Delaware is much closer to Temple than they are to Wagner level and we destroyed them. Last year we also crushed Temple. This year we barely won.

Last year’s Syracuse team won 5 games and lost a heartbreaker to Clemson. Do you think BC is going to end up comparable? We beat Syracuse by 2 scored. We beat BC by 1.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Debate it all you want. The most important position in pro or college sports is quarterback. Schiano is in year 3 and the embarrassing statistics posted earlier is where we are.

Is our QB room better than a single P5 team? Seriously?

Debate it all you want. The most important position in pro or college sports is quarterback. Schiano is in year 3 and the embarrassing statistics posted earlier is where we are.

Is our QB room better than a single P5 team? Seriously?
Sure it is. It’s simply not mathematically possible for every other team to have 3 better QBs than our best QB. And same for the rest of FBS. They are not all better and deeper.

Therefore, it’s the philosophy and playcalling. Schiano simply views the QB position different than every other coach in America. Passing is more likely to result in a turnover or loss of yardage (sack) than running so he wants to avoid doing it as much as possible. Is why I predicted here last year that GW will transfer.

Last edited:
Sure it is. It’s simply not mathematically possible for every other team to have 3 better QBs than our best QB. And same for the rest of FBS. They are not all better and deeper.

Therefore, it’s the philosophy and playcalling. Schiano simply views the QB position different than every other coach in America. Passing is more likely to result in a turnover or loss of yardage (sack) than running so he wants to avoid doing it as much as possible. Is why I predicted here last year that GW will transfer.

That’s not how we played against Iowa.

Reactions: Wolv RU

If that was his philosophy how the hell did he get GW to commit to RU , also Gleason wouldn’t have taken a position here if that’ was the case , that would be a bad career move for the Gleason family, heck his resume is already tarnished going forward unless RU turns into a high powered offense.

Reactions: czxqa
Easy. You want to know how ? He convinced them how coming from OSU he’s changed and will have a wide open, high scoring offense. Gleeson is quoted as saying the same when he took the job. Schiano talks a good game, he just doesn’t coach one. I doubt Schiano flat out lied to them and he probably believed what he told them. But it was false. He can’t help it. It’s who he is. “No Throw Schiano”

People take misrepresented jobs all the time.

You can believe that like I do or you can believe of the hundred or so FBS teams, we are just incredibly unlucky in recruiting and have the #298,299 and 300 best passing QBs (100 teams/3 QBs each). To be generous, let’s say Navy’s QBs are 301,302.303.

Last edited:
How the heck did we get manhandled by Maryland again?

MD has a legit QB who we got no pressure on. Their WRs were all big and athletic. Their O is dynamic; ours is not. It wasn’t until we started going east/west with sweeps that we were able to move the ball. Prior to that we did nothing but turn the ball over. We were completely outplanned and outplayed. Also didn’t help that we have little depth and were banged up by the season finale.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Wins:
22-21 @ BC (1-2)
16- 14 @ Temple (1-2)

28-0 PSU (7-6, 4-5)
Thanks for invoking the jinx!!! Jinx always wins.

Reactions: NickRU714
ADVERTISEMENT